• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needed: Atricles/Info on full width axle swaps!

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Surely a dozen or so guys on here have done this, I am needing as much info I can get on swapping full width axles under my XJ. Preferably the Ford Dana 44 and 9 inch axles but I'll take anything anyone has. THANKS!

What info are you looking for? Do you know how to and can you fabricate? Specific questions will be answered much more in depth and with less spobi thrown in.

Sean

No I do not know how to do the swap nor do I fabricate yet. I'm just looking for info/web pages/articles etc. of the guys that already have done it. But the combo I mentioned above is probably what I am going to shoot for.

Thanks.

TB-XJ said:
No I do not know how to do the swap nor do I fabricate yet. I'm just looking for info/web pages/articles etc. of the guys that already have done it. But the combo I mentioned above is probably what I am going to shoot for.

Thanks.

I've got a full width 60 in the rear and a 44 going in up front. I'd be happy to attempt any questions you have, but I don't have any writeups done or anything.

Here's one on the bc4x4 that the other link missed.
http://www.bc4x4.com/pv/tj/tj.cfm
He's got a TJ, but same basic principles.

If GoodYear would get off their asses and make my damn tires, I'd be able to get started with the actual fabbing and then put my write up on my hp44 and 9". I may just have to say screw the 37" MTR's and go with the more expensive 37" IROKs.

I think what one ton is asking, is if you are looking to do something beyond bolt-on....

this might sound all "tough guy" but its really trying to help steer you in the right direction...

if you cannot do your own welding, and fabbing brackets, going fullsize will be an expensive proposition, since you will more than likely need to out-source your fabbin....there are very few straight-forward full size swaps that reduce the amount of custom going on.

if you are unlimited by this, the options are wide open!

I think that's what he was trying to convey.

The Jacobs (Mad Cow) method I like best...cheap, dirty, and available at most any junkyard near you.

TB-XJ said:
I see, I cannot fab myself BUT a couple guys in my club can. Thanks for the articles.

a popular axle swap among a few naxja-heads I know are the ford f-150/f-250 44 front 60 rear...

I am running the f-250 set....

this is a drivers side 44, 8-lug, high pinion, high steer knuckles, dual piston calipers

dana FF 60 rear, but it has the lame 30-spline axles....

the f-250 44 is supported by warn ont he short side only. the long side will require custom axles if you don't like breaking axle shafts every time you wheel.

its a pain in the ass, but the problem has a solution

Beezil said:
a popular axle swap among a few naxja-heads I know are the ford f-150/f-250 44 front 60 rear...

I am running the f-250 set....

this is a drivers side 44, 8-lug, high pinion, high steer knuckles, dual piston calipers

dana FF 60 rear, but it has the lame 30-spline axles....

the f-250 44 is supported by warn ont he short side only. the long side will require custom axles if you don't like breaking axle shafts every time you wheel.

its a pain in the ass, but the problem has a solution

I am in the middle of the same swap, 78 f-250 D44/D60 Keeping them full width, leaves in rear coils up front. Eventually I want to go to a coil spring rear but thats next winter. I am also going to be running discs on my D60 with an E-350 Master. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Back