• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC project continued...

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks ago, Eagle started the discussion of a NAC based XJ/MJ project vehicle. I think I may have come across most of the parts needed to build a really cool rig, so here goes:

I have a trailer that I made from a MJ longbed by slicing through the frame immediately behind the cab (the truck was T-boned in the driver's door, but was otherwise a beautiful rig.) I also saved the roof and cab rear wall. "Jeepthing" in Harrisburg, PA has the body from a 2-door XJ with rear end damage available for free... I was thinking that these components together would make a really cool extended-cab longbed MJ. If one were to cut the XJ somewhere behind the B-pillar and splice in the cab wall and bed/frame, the result would be a 5 passenger MJ. One could keep some of the rear windows in order to make enough room for back seat passengers.

I also have an early Bronco D44 front axle and Scout D44 rear axle that would make for perfect drive-line parts, and a complete 4.0/AW4/231 setup to put in it.

My problem is that I have no space to do this. I have too many vehicles as it is, and my wife will kill me if I bring home more junk. So, if anyone is willing to assist with this project, I can supply the parts and engineering knowledge; I just need a place and some fabricating assistance. In my opinion, this could be a functional vehicle with the potential for car-show awards if done cleanly.

Mark I would be willing to help you if you want. I think this is a good project. butIt will take more than the two of us. I have got the space and the tools but as far as spare truck I do not have one right now but lots of spare parts.

I have the MJ bed on frame, the cab wall, and can get a 2-door XJ chassis ASAP. I also have a drivetrain and axles. If you are willing to donate a place to work on this, I can repay you with engineering assistance in the future... sort of like a professional courtesy arrangement.

I'll arrange for transport of the XJ chassis for a convenient time to bring it to your shop, so let me know when would be good for you.

Thanks, Joe.

It's beginning to sound like my cockamamie idea may be coming into reality. I am certainly interested in being involved in this, and unless Mark and Joe want to hog the whole thing I'd really like it to become a chapter project. Joe, I don't know what your shop's hours of operation are, but if we could arrange for a series of work days or work weekends on this thing with groups of volunteers, I think we could all learn a lot about what makes an XJ/MJ tick, as well as having a lot of fun.

The most difficult thing will be deciding (a) where to slice the XJ, and (b) how to marry the MJ frame to the XJ unibody.

Most of the stuff I have around is smaller parts but as the project moves forward, I'm willing to chip in anything that isn't needed for "the fleet." Thanks to both of you for your interest in furthering the cause of XJ insanity.

Sounds cool!

and how about doing some general writeups? Nothing to the detail of which bolt where... but major component pictures and description of what goes where???? NAXJA is big enough that we should show off some of our projects... PERMANENTLY!

Kejtar

This sounds good, I'm getting excited. My thoughts on the matter are that we should slice the XJ immediately behind the back seat so as to perserve the passenger capacity of the vehicle. And as far as tying the vehicles together, I'll have to take measurements between the frame widths (I think MJ frames widen out behind the cab) and design an adapter structure to insert inside the frame rails of the two vehicle halves, which would then be welded together as a single unit. I think we could use the MJ fuel tank in its stock location, and maybe the rear driveshaft from a 2wd MJ longbed (which I can get.)

I like the idea of it being a group project... I know I won't be able to finish it myself!

. . . along with Eagle's reserve fleet, I have a couple of '89 4drs that may be of use to this project with other odds and ends.

Count on my support as well.

Mike in NJ

make sure a few of the "work weekends" are over the summer ;)

I can pick up odds and ends from Harry's u-pull it. Make up a wish list, and I'll see what I can get my hands on

Back