• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright Haters.

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after 2 years, I got rid of this Gem...

Had a few issues, and I needed a 4-door, more "grown up" car. Hated to see it go, but it went to a guy who is going to Boost it... Jealous.

Honestly, I'm getting my Masters while working and getting married so I just need a A-->B car... aaannnndddd I want to slow build the MJ.

Popped on the first thing I saw day of Tegg being sold. Ended up being friends with the guy, and had mutual friends. Anyway. Point being.

1992 LX Complete stock (minus rims as you see, and stereo I'm throwin in) and has 260k miles. Just wonder what you would do in order to hit the 300k and beyond marker? Nothing is wrong, everything completely tight and all records and maintenance up to date. Just trying to get ahead of it really.

So, beyond the obvious (tune-up, timing belt, oil) What would you do?

What would I do if I were looking at further education and approaching nuptials?

Not throw a single extra dime at that Honda and simply drive it until the wheels fall off. With that kind of mileage on it, it's got zero re-sale value so just keep up the typical maintenance and yeah, if it's never had a timing belt, that'd be good insurance.

Congrats on acquiring a fiancee'! Best wishes for your future!

Yeah, Seminary is pretty wild, while working at a church and, weeelllll, I spoke too soon. Not quite engaged yet. But the process is moving quickly.

As far as re-sale, it is a honda, for some dumb reason they just keep their value, but yes, i do believe you are correct in not throwing things at it. I am already enjoying 40mpg, especially considering I drive to Littleton/castlerock everyday.

Timing belt done at 200k.

Aaannnddddd, since you asked...

Last edited:
I've had multiple (4) hondas of the 92-94 vintage. All got 35-45(!) mpg, and all were absolutely reliable. If you are certain the timing belt only has 60k on it, I wouldn't worry about that either. My 45mpg'r was a 93 hatchback, my commuter while I was in law school -- I really liked that car for whatever reason. Sold it to a gay fireman (literally, no aspersions being cast) who admitted it was his "dream car"... my wife told Stewart he needed to dream bigger.

Congrats on the super-reliable wheels, and even more-so on the big old life changes your on the brink of! :cheers:

If the belt was done at 200k, the engine is fine. What tranny? Auto's in Honda's can be iffy. My 99 Accord at 200k miles used little oil, but it only got 30 mpg, at 80, with the AC on, over monument hill. :)

Its a 5-speed. I can't drive a boring car AND have it be Automatic.. that would just be terrible.

There is something to be said about 90's Honda's, for some reason, they just hold on. I got new tires today, rides realllllllll smooth now. I do wonder about the clutch, but I'm starting to think I'm just use to shifting with cars that have double the HP.

Yeah, I think if you breathe on a honda clutch, it engages. Softest pedal ever.

By Denver Rescue Mission.

5usudy4u.jpg

Congratulations ,on the engagement ,and the honda ,, I sold my 04 tacoma ,actually made a little money on it ,, Bought a 2010 honda element awd with 34000 on the clock, mad a trip to San Felipe baja to go fishing , the element actually worked pretty well on the beach there ,and i like it ,hondas are great cars .

I had a 98 civic hatch that I was getting 36-38 in.. it was a nice little car but the market was hot! Sold it for $4k and bought my XJ. I do still like those 90's honda's.. great beaters.

What's sad is my Vulcan has a bigger engine and weighs almost as much. What's even more sad is it barely gets better mileage. I average 40-43mpg and on my trip this last weekend I dropped down to 36mpg thanks to the high winds and doing a bit higher speeds.

The random-est of updates.

Been a pretty lame and easy car. Figured this can be a long-term "blog" or record list.

Was doing brakes the other day, my goodness, tiny little things.

1.5L is holding up, even though I floor it everywhere I go.

Currently: 265,418k. 37 MPG.

pypu2a5e.jpg

Welp. Storm hurt this little guy. And my MJ. Good thing I drive cheap crappy cars!

Civic went back to the original owner for some maintenance. His best friend has a lift in his garage and is a master tech at Honda. Livin the good life.

ff5d387fb44b8f16fcefd6f8e8702abe.jpg

70bfb1262b0f48c6a7acf5bd2e79e2ed.jpg

80dcd9717d816b8828193a831d8d87f5.jpg

Soooo. $450 for tie rods and oil change.

I rode around with Julian and grant for a little while and told them that I was just waiting for the day for the motor to blow. They said it probably never will, and if it does, you can pick up another one for $100 with low-ish miles.

Slowest. Most boring car ever. But gosh dang is it practical.

Best part of this being in the shop, I've had an excuse to drive the MJ. MMMMMmmmm.

In honor of Fast And Furious 7 coming out...

7ddb42ad13b5ba2819dc7ce6616e6e20.jpg

da11557c3e7617f8b63441456fd9f05c.jpg

3a9f48e4983d7200866d382d148f779d.jpg

That's my buddy. He had to drill out the dumb little screws that hold the rotors.

I really only got these cause I needed new calipers, ironically enough, this was the best option for the money.

Back