• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gears/E-locker Install question

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering new gears front/Rear and an E-locker for my front axle. I've read that I should have a shop do the gears because of the specialty tools required.

How difficult is an E-locker install for the front? I'm considering doing this myself (hopefully with help). I've installed my lift, SYE, bumpers, skid plates, sliders and exhaust header thus far so I'm not completely useless but I'm learning as I go.

Also, any recommended shops or garage mechanics in the central valley or sac area for new gear installation?

1998 cherokee
4.0 litre
AW4
Dana 30 front
8.25 rear

Google it. Research it. watch videos on gears. There are comprehensive lists out there of all the parts and tools you need. look up billavistas gear setting 101 or whatever its called on pirate its very thorough as he walks you through setting up gears .

I spent a god chunk on snap on bearing puller, I made my own case spreader, I buy spare bearings and make my own setup bearings for each install, you need a 20 ton shop press. you need a dial indicator style inch pound torque wrench for preload on the pinion since you measure it around 20 inch pounds while turning the pinion for a dana 44, you need a 250+ ft lb torque wrench for the pinion nut, you need digital micrometers for measuring shims, and a regular dial indicator for setting BL. And if have the money to spend , you'll buy the Yukon clamshell and their pinion depth tool. I need to do that some day. for now its setup bearings and lots of scratch paper. Doing gears is alot different than bumpers and SYE and skids dude.

you'll probably spend 300-650$ on speciality tools to get started depending on quality and how much you dont skimp oil what you need. I bought my snap inch pound dial indicator style on eBay for under 100$ and my snap on large bearing puller for around 100$ -150$ I think on eBay. shop press is like 200$

Google it. Research it. watch videos on gears. There are comprehensive lists out there of all the parts and tools you need. look up billavistas gear setting 101 or whatever its called on pirate its very thorough as he walks you through setting up gears .

I spent a god chunk on snap on bearing puller, I made my own case spreader, I buy spare bearings and make my own setup bearings for each install, you need a 20 ton shop press. you need a dial indicator style inch pound torque wrench for preload on the pinion since you measure it around 20 inch pounds while turning the pinion for a dana 44, you need a 250+ ft lb torque wrench for the pinion nut, you need digital micrometers for measuring shims, and a regular dial indicator for setting BL. And if have the money to spend , you'll buy the Yukon clamshell and their pinion depth tool. I need to do that some day. for now its setup bearings and lots of scratch paper. Doing gears is alot different than bumpers and SYE and skids dude.

you'll probably spend 300-650$ on speciality tools to get started depending on quality and how much you dont skimp oil what you need. I bought my snap inch pound dial indicator style on eBay for under 100$ and my snap on large bearing puller for around 100$ -150$ I think on eBay. shop press is like 200$

I need all of this for an E-locker installation? At the top of my post I mention that I had been advised to have a gear swap done at a shop (or to reach out to my local chapter for someone who does this work in their garage).

Yep

In order to install the locker (e-locker, ARB, and other full case lockers), you have to set up the gears as well because the ring gear bolts to the locker.

The only time you don't have to set up gears is when you are replacing spider gears or upgrading the spider gears to a lunchbox style locker. The only reason this is the case is because the dif case stays in the axle.

West coast diffs or river city diffs.

The E-locker itself isn't hard to do. Drill a hole in the diff, run the wires through it to power and the switch and it's mostly done. BUT, like the others have stated, you really need to be able to set up the gears to do the full job. Also, a minor drawback of the E-locker is that they are slow to unlock. Lock up is immediate and works well when locked. But you'll find that when you turn off the locker it will stay locked for a little while after it's turned off. Like I said, it's a minor annoyance at times and maybe more noticeable to me because I have an ARB in the rear that is always instant on and off.

Back