• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end squeek, cant narrow it down

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
ive got something squeeking at very low speeds on my front end. I tossed a camera underneath to see if i could pin point where it was and thus far im not sold on having narrowed it down really, ill post up the video soon if I can.

thus far i have drowned the centering ball in wd40 to see if that works at all- no luck

then i jack each wheel in the front up individually and spun them to see if maybe its break related- no noise came of that

1. any ideas folks, im all ears on what else to try here?

other than help on this sound I found two new things i could also use a recommendation on.

2. what trans mount should I get because mine is SHOT...napa....?

3. the 4wd linkage in the 242 needs replaced it looks like, i think the chain hops in the video because when i thought it was shifted into 4full time its clearly not. the pop happens when i was turning meaning its engaged in a part time. if you think its something else let me know, I may break this up into individual threads.

Ide appreciate the words of the wiser, thank you

Never heard a squeak, but you need motor mounts!

haha yes it is, but this is why I was under the impression I needed a new transmission mount, not motor mounts?

If it was bouncing up/down I'd say yes, but the motor mounts control torque movement.

Another video angle of the front squeaking.

Watch "Front end squeek???????" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/sOmyZUthzKI

Is it possible that the transmission mount is just so shot that it could be moving around that much or is it only motor mounts that will allow that movement? I hope it's not the mounts, they aren't terribly old.

Just Empty Every Pocket, sigh

Last edited:
Well that squeak is definitely rotational, my first suspect would brake caliper mounts.

Two fixes the later likely the culprit.
1. Welded/grind down brake pad grooves

2. Brake caliper slides(idk name) greased. I thought these had been very well lubricated from my last big brake job, but the passenger side was almost seized.

One of the two fixed the problem

Well s$$t

The squeak is back and more persistent. I thought I fixed this thing, but I guess not.

When I serviced the brakes I removed pads and caliper, cleaned them, fixed the wear from the pads on the knuckle.

The noise is 100 percent rotational and it seems louder on the passenger side.

Any recommendations on what/ how to check next

What pads did you use? If it changed from only messing with the brakes it's pretty possible it's the pads doing it. You should also grease anywhere the pad makes contact with the caliper and mounts.

I greased the "slides", anti squeal on the pads- backing, brakes system bled a month ago and they are Hawk HPS pads. never really had noise before now so this is a bit odd to track down.

new spicer ball joints that seated very well, new timken unit hubs that were torqued to 175ft lb. i hear the noise loudly at low speed under 20 and a faint consant noise at 40 mph+

ive retraced all I know to look for.

so i stuck the camera under the jeep again, upon returning to the garage Im almost certain the squeal is coming from the Pinion. its the first time ive been able to replicate the sound when spinning the tire by hand. 90% of the time the noise it driving low speed and straight, it will not squeak when driving in reverse.

the 4.56 gears were installed by a 4x4 shop in foco. ill be calling them to talk of course.

Why would the pinion be squealing??? is it possible its just the seal? its been under two years of having these installed. I checked the gear oil level and its good as well.

thanks for any help you can give guys, this was a real kicker today.

Last edited:
Back