• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Hose anti-chaffe

martin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about the anti-chaffe on radiator hoses. I Have a 88 XJ and the hoses were changed sometime in it's life before I became the owner.

I was in my local junk yard and noticed an 88 XJ with that net style antichaffe on the upper radiator hose. The engine was gone along with the lower radaitor hose so I could not inspect to the lower hose. I purchased up the upper hose protector and installed it on my XJ.

Do you guy have antichaffe on the lower radiator hose? I know mine lays on top of the power steering hoses and there is some anti-chaffe on the power steering pressure hose and figured they may of also had it on the lower radiator hose.

Thanks in advance

Martin

On the lower hose, at least on mine, the anti-chafe really isn't enough, and I would advise an additional pad between the hose and the power-steering line it rubs against. On one I made a shield of aluminum flashing just for that area, and attached it with cable ties - a little neater than a big rag, though that also works.

I just noticed that problem last week. I took a plastic sheet, about 6"x24"x1/16", and wrapped it around the hose and secured it with zip ties.

--Matt

Another anti-chafe device can be made from the OLD rad. hose that we removed to install the new one.

Merely cut a chunk of the old hose to match the area you wish to protect. Then slice old hose lengthwise from end to end. Peel the hose open, and place around newly installed hose. Attach old hose (now turned into a hose shield) with ty-wraps.

The old hose is nice and thick and will do a great job of protecting the new hose inside it.

Back