• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new diff cover

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Had to change the fluid, so I gathered some pieces of scrap steel I had lying around and made me an extremely stout and rather good looking front diff cover if I do say so myself. The front is 2 layers of 3/16" plate, the edges are single layer, the top round portion is 1/4". All welded up solid and ground smooth. I also braced the back of the side where the filler hole is.

dsc00074.jpg

dsc00075.jpg

XJguy

That's sweet, I will be very impressed if you break that.

I painted my cover red, does that count?

Cap off those hollows or you will be filled up with muck or rocks depending on where you wheel - nice job on the lower bolts - mine doesn't stick out quite as much but has seen plenty of use (and I can still access the bottom bolts use an appropriate tool - besides an easy-out)

Matt

diff_cover1.jpg

diff_cover2.jpg

Thats a sweet job Matt!

I left the bolts holes hollowed out so that the mud and water that collects inside can drain out. I shaped mine that way so that it acts like a skid plate that will deflect rocks and help it slide over obstructions. Originally I was going to do it like yours, but got lazy to do all the banging necessary to contour it that accuarately as you did.

XJguy

Royce said:
What did you coat those axles with Matt?

Royce -

It is rustoleum hammered finish (color is Dark Bronze) but lays down kinda silvery - good for covering not so perfect surfaces...

I got it from lowes....

XJ-guy: thanks - that should work for most stuff; if it gets all plugged up you can always just roll it :D :rolleyes: A good inversion would shake all that stuff out and test your cages while your at it (two for one!)

Matt

PS - I am so anal I made about 15 trianglar slices that make up that cover - all welded and ground - then welded and more grinding, with more grinding, then some flap wheel action, ect...

Back