• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Child booster seat for XJ back seat

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Hey folks, I'm having issues with my daughter's increasing size. I've got her a car seat in back of the XJ (the family vehicle) and she's at the point where she's ready for a booster seat. Though the seat we have works fine in larger back seats, it still has a huge base on the bottom that essentially makes her straddle the seat in front of her. :( We've noticed that taking her out of the back seat now requires some finesse in making sure her feet dont get caugth between seats.

What I'm running into are the seats at the stores with flat bottoms seem to have the backs at the wrong angle for the seat back on the XJ. :( Has anyone found a suitable child seat that maximizes free space? Currently we have the Cosco Alpha-Omega with the 5-point harness.

TIA, we're really hurtin' here. I hate trying to take her anywhere unless it's just the two of us...then I put the seat up front.

i got four of the cheepies from wally world that utalize the xj seatbelts and they work great we have two with a full back (kinda looks like a raceing seat ) they were like 30 bucks and we have 2 booster seats that use the back of the vehicle seat and those were 13 bucks

and if i take the kids wheeling i still put them in the full car seats even though they fit kinda tight but i know they are safe

maineiac said:
i got four of the cheepies from wally world that utalize the xj seatbelts and they work great we have two with a full back (kinda looks like a raceing seat ) they were like 30 bucks and we have 2 booster seats that use the back of the vehicle seat and those were 13 bucks

and if i take the kids wheeling i still put them in the full car seats even though they fit kinda tight but i know they are safe

Thanks! Bummer though, looks like I'm going to have to go non-booster. I didn't even think of guidance sizes and such. She's almost 3 so I suppose I'll just have to find a 'low' car seat. Hmm, or get a different vehicle for family use. ;) 5.9L ZJ? :D:D:D

ECKSJAY said:
Thanks! Bummer though, looks like I'm going to have to go non-booster. I didn't even think of guidance sizes and such. She's almost 3 so I suppose I'll just have to find a 'low' car seat. Hmm, or get a different vehicle for family use. ;) 5.9L ZJ? :D:D:D

Buy my 5.9!!! :D

My youngest 2 nephews are in booster seats...
The 6 year old has this one...
$20 at Toys R Us
rated: 40-100lbs
Graco: Belt Position TurboBooster - Socrates

B000069D4E.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

And the 4 year old is in this one...
$50 at Toys R Us
rated: 30-100lbs
This would be your best bet, she can use it from here on out. You get similar support and protection on the sides as a regular car seat, but this is lower profile.
Graco: TurboBooster - Youth Booster Seat

B000066HRQ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

They both fit perfect in the back of my XJ, the kids were able to get in and out surprisingly well. This weekend will be the test, they're going wheeling with me Sat. and Sun. :)

Last edited:
PhunkadelicXJ said:

TWO CUP, I mean SIPPYCUP-HOLDERS!!! :roflmao:

Those are pretty sweet.

Lincoln said:
I don't know crap about child seats but maybe this would work??????
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SIM-90000

PM Nay. He's got to have 20 kids now or something. :D

It feels like 20 :D

I had my boys in Evenflow seats until they were four, and then we switched to Britax boosters. I never had a problem with space...but car seats are huge now compared to six years ago. My youngest is going into a Britax Marathon, but that's a big seat for an XJ.

The bases of the seats these days are designed for LATCH systems, which your XJ doesn't have. Most of the seats are also much wider, which I think is part of enhancing side impact safety.

It seems to me that the "recline" part shouldn't be an issue. Keep trying different seats, as any good convertible (can be forward or rear facing) seat has to have several recline settings. Some may have infininte settings (I think the Britax does, but they are also $250, which I think is worth it for your child's safety).

Keep in mind that moving into a booster is based on size, not age, so if she's really big for her age she might be ready for a booster. As long as the position of the shoulder belt is at shoulder height, i.e. she fits properly at the lowest setting and she doesn't slump over when she falls asleep, then she's ready for a booster.

I really don't like the XJ a whole lot for rear seat safety once they are out of five point car seats. Things are just tight back there, and the seat belts don't have some of the modern features (like rachet/lock) found in newer vehicles.

Of course, I'm getting ready to covert mine to a six seater with everybody in five point harnesses with toddler/preteen sized seats for the four kids from PRP racing, with everything tied into the cage...but I'm not sure you are there yet :D.

If you are...that's the easy solution. Rip out the back seat entirely, tear out all the carpet, get an internal cage, and tie in a toddler sized seat with five point harness. You'll have all the room you could want and more :D.

Or get something with a modern design for kids, for which the XJ is far from ideal.

Nay

Thanks everyone... Paula that Graco appears to be exactly what I was looking for. We'll have to look at them this weekend. She needs another Strawberry Shortcake doll anyway, so I suppose a trip to Toys R' Us is in order. :D

Nay, she's a bit large for her age (tall and heavy), so I place her a little bit higher, really. She's well over 30lbs and she's the same size as my friend's 4 year old. :p That Cosco seat I have is nice (and spendy, thank goodness for grandparents!) but like I said, there just isn't room in the back. I'll probably leave that for the front seat riding on wheeling trips...so we can use the 5-point harness. :D I'd love a cage though, when do we start? :)

Thanks for all your help. :)

Are there any legality issues regarding the PRP seats? I tried to contact the CHP's office but haven't heard back. I would think that a replacement seat with 5 point harnesses solidly mounted should pass any inspection, but I just don't want to screw myself with insurance or tickets.

Back