• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help wiring extra dome/cabin lights....

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

the cabin of my 96 XJ is so dimly lit at night (only have the front basic dome light and cargo area basic dome light)
so i got a couple small, oval, white led lights (from West Marine) to mount along the roof, near the grab handles (went with led's for their low amp draw, hi brightness and "bulb" longevity....plus they look sorta cool) ;)

i started off with 2, for the front, and will see how i like them, and then will decide about adding some to the back.

now the question:

i would like to put a switch next to EACH individual light so they can be turned on/off at ANY time, by the person sitting in that seat.
that, alone would be very easy

-BUT-

i ALSO want the ability to be able to turn on/off all existing dome lights (front and back) AND the new LED lights, by using the existing switch, built in to the headlight switch (clockwise turn=gauge/panel lights dimmer, counter-clockwise=dome lights on)
AND for all of them to come on when i open the doors etc... (im sure this is tied in to the above though)

im sure there are a few ways of doing this....but i would really appreciate it if someone could explain the BEST way to do it!! (or at least what you feel my options would be)

thanks guys!!

CaptTrev

It's going to be tricky, because the factory overhead lights are powered ("hot") at all times. The switches in the door posts are on the ground (return) side of the circuit.

Are the switches for the new lights integral with the lights, or separate toggle switches?

eagle-thanks for the reply

the lights and switches are seperate--ill be using simple toggle switches (with rubber boots) with each individual light

TrevLED1.jpg

I had a look at that light on the West Marine site.....How bright are those things?

And why are they so inexpensive? Looks like all their lighting is well priced.

connect the ground s and positve then cut ( t )in a ground switched after a diode and it should work . so factory dome light over to a diode on the ground side to a t splice with a switch to ground . i need sleep but i think this will work

thanks for the awesome replys (especially Lou, with the schematic-fantastic!)

this will make it much easier.

The tricky thing will be finding that domelight + wire, and deciding if i want to try to grab it from the dome light itself, in which case i would run the wires under the headliner and to each side,
OR
to find it under the dash somewhere and then lead it up each A pillar

more ideas/thoughts welcome!

I was going to post the link to the west marine site, but they don't have this specific style online for some reason (i picked it up in the local store)
the lights are made by Hella Marine
here is the hella link:
http://www.hellausa.com/maineng/NewLook/ProdServ/pdfs/Mrn_LED.pdf

its on page 4 of there--the white one

retail in the store these go for like $23 each, but I have a Port Supply Account through work, and I got em for like 17 each

I'll post pics/small writeup when I'm done

thanks guys!

CaptTrev

You guys must be electrical engineers or something. Diodes, Sheesh.

I was looking at using a SPDT switch to activate the new lights. Tie that in ahead of the factory domes and in one position the factory stuff operates normally, in the other position the new light(s) would come on.

However, that wouldn't allow for all the lights to operate simultaneously. The diode solution is much more elegant.

ok guys

im halfway through the install and all is going ok (mostly) except I cant seem to find the - ground wire from the dome light circuit anywhere.

please help!

any idea what color it may be?

it looks like its white, on the front domelight itself...

the front right door switch has 2 yellows and a black wire, but then where it goes thru to a harness plug, i dont see which wire to use

wheres the best place to find the right wire??

HELP!!! :dunce:

CaptTrev

Doesn't it ground through the body? I'm going to start getting into this project on mine next week or so and that diagram and your potential writeup look great

Back