• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra, extra! Madman wants more voltage! Read all about it!

lost1

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired seven (7) aircraft landing lights (sealed beam bulbs mind you) rated for 28v, 250/150watts for absolutely free. By my reckoning they're roughly the same size as a KC Hilight housing (just a little smaller), and I know there's a seamed beam version of that light, so it should be hard to rig up the wiring and connections for the bulbs...the trick of it is going to be getting 28 volts to them (I intend on using 4 and keeping 3 in reserve) and supply the required wattage for their 'hibeam' output. This is a lot more draw than most wiring harnesses will see, but I already have wire that should be suitable as well as a switch rated for something like 75 amps. Fuses, no prob. I figure a step-up transformer should do the trick but I feel like I'm missing something other than sanity. Any ideas?

shit if and when you get this up and running make sure to take some night pics, which of course should look like day with them fired up.
on another note you may want to rig up some red lights on your left side and greens on the right on the off chance you get mistaken for low flying aircraft they'll know your starboard and port sides. can't be too safe

yeah but that's only 24v and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that; besides, wouldn't a less than adequate voltage put heavier strain on those batteries?

another question that just popped up; I would need those batteries to be separate from the one currrently under the hood as well, wouldn't I? If so, that creates an issue right there. I'll be going to a dual-battery system in a few months anyways to better serve the Jeep's needs(winch and additional lighting are anticipated) and so under-hood space is already at a premium.

Edit: Thanks a lot beakie, I just sprayed soda all over the freakin' place.

lost1 said:
yeah but that's only 24v and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like that; besides, wouldn't a less than adequate voltage put heavier strain on those batteries?

Go outside and measure the output of your "12V" battery.

And if you had a dedicated alternator for those batteries you will be fine. They are aircraft landing lights ffs.

Have you done the math on this yet? There is NO way your stock alternator is going to handle those lights, the ignition, the radio, a CB, the heater fan, the electric fan, much less a winch. 250 watts at 28 volts is 8.9amps EACH. times 4 is near 36 amps just for the lights...
Dual batteries or not, on a night run in the winter you will get a 3 minute pull out of your winch before the jeep shuts off.
You should consider the suggestion of a second alternator.
But it should be pretty easy to find your XJ at night.

get a 24 volt altenator you can switch on and off and 2 deep cycle batteries. run a 24 volt winch too while your at it. the difernce between 24 and 28 volts will more than be made up by the extra amprage

28V "nominal" rating means 24V "operating" voltage. Just like most automotive components are rated for a 14VDC "nominal" supply - but they actually get 12 (OK, 13.5 or so, with everything up to scratch.) Nominal operating voltage of a 28VDC aircraft electrical system is 26VDC or so.

I'll have to pillage around, but I found a schematic for 24VDC ignition systems that gets you "24VDC from 12VDC" with another battery and some circuitry - just substitute something larger than a motorcycle battery for the extra voltage kick (it's designed for 24V military vehicle electrical systems - which will only really start easily with a 24VDC source, but run just ducky on 12VDC...)

Alternatively, did you know that you can get landing lights that run on 12/14VDC? Check Wicks Aircraft Supply or Aircraft Spruce & Specialty - I've been thinking about getting a few for meself...

5-90

I can get an alternator off of one of our Cessna's for ya, rig that puppy up.

wait...

you guys are telling me I won't be able to leave my electrical system alone and run all this stuff? NO WAY that's right!

now that my smartass comment is out of the way...yeah, I know gents, don't worry. Never my intention to try to use a stock alternator or batteries for all that. More specifically, I already use a yellowtop for my Jeep, and all it has in the way of extras are fog lights, a CB and a trifling 8" sub with a 300w amp. What's planned for the electrical system is two yellowtops and a dual alternator system, probably using Mean Greens. something like... http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0206cae_dual_alternator/

Thing is I know enough about actually putting together electical systems to fry something(not myself yet) and that's generally it. I found wiring my fog lights simple, and easy, but nonetheless fulfilling work. Yep, learnin' as I go. Thaks for the input so far, this is great. If I can get this hammered out I'll definitely be doing a write-up with pictures along the way.

I'd be carefull with those. Check and make sure that they can be used for full duty. I know aircraft that they can only be run for 15 min before they have to be shut off to cool down or you'll melt the housings and burn out the bulb. You can run into a lot of issues with that. But they sure are bright, I'll tell you that!

Blaine B. said:
I'd sell them for some serious dough and then buy some lights for a truck.....not an airplane.
that's what I would do also.

trophy trucks are basically unlimited budget, so if aircraft lights were best for that application, they would use them. but they don't.

lost1 said:
What's planned for the electrical system is two yellowtops and a dual alternator system, probably using Mean Greens. something like... http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0206cae_dual_alternator/

AFAIK there is not a dual alternator system on the market for a 4.0. If there is please correct me so i can order one! I have looked into build one myself but without some majors mods i'm just not sure where the alternator is going to go.

BTW I have a york where the battery was eventually so it ain't goin there.

Dingo

right U are dingo...there isn't that I know of either...but that gets the idea acrss nicely.

lost1 said:
I figure a step-up transformer should do the trick but I feel like I'm missing something other than sanity. Any ideas?

Transformers need AC voltage. You'd be better off with another alternator with the regulator setup for the voltage you need like you'd setup an onboard welder.

Remember that you can't stack two standard alternators because the case is the negative terminal. You would have to insulate the mounting of the second alternator.

Dingo509 said:
AFAIK there is not a dual alternator system on the market for a 4.0. If there is please correct me so i can order one! I have looked into build one myself but without some majors mods i'm just not sure where the alternator is going to go.

Dingo

Here you go.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_700.htm

http://www.wranglernw.com/ProductPi...ke=16&model=65&engine=29&option=0&itemtype=11

Brad

**EDIT My apologies. I misread the dual "alternator" as battery. Still, good links for those interested.

Last edited:
Back