• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size recommendations

If you don't plan to disconnect the front end, you may be ok with 32s. If you think you'll ever disconnect the front 32s will contact and likely remodel the fender.

I wouldn't spend money on 33s nor trim if this is for very light hunting wheeling. Then you get into gearing issues.
32s on auto 3.55 will be noticed on any highway.
31s are a very capable tire.
What terrain do you expect to encounter?

Yes I have bump stopped to control the front end flex.

Mainly primitive dirt roads and some sandy washes, but there are a few spots that get pretty rocky. I can make it everywhere I need to go right now, but I have banged up my axles and driveshaft a couple of times. I really need to regear as is, I've got a manual trans with the 3.07 gears

If you don't plan to disconnect the front end, you may be ok with 32s. If you think you'll ever disconnect the front 32s will contact and likely remodel the fender.

I wouldn't spend money on 33s nor trim if this is for very light hunting wheeling. Then you get into gearing issues.
32s on auto 3.55 will be noticed on any highway.
31s are a very capable tire.
What terrain do you expect to encounter?

Yes I have bump stopped to control the front end flex.

Like I mentioned, I've been running BFG - KM2s - 32 x 11.5 on 7" rims with 4.5" BS, for over 10 years now. I'm on my 3rd set of 32's. I also have JKS discos to disconnect the front sway bar when off roading. I have a Protofab tube front bumper for more clearance. I did add a couple of washers to the steering bump stops and have proper bump stops for the front coils and rear springs. Even when the tires are new, I have about 3/4" clearance at the closest body/wheel contact spot, and everything stuffs nicely in the wheel wells.

Also, 4.56 gearing and a 5 spd tranny give 32's some awesome low end "umph". Hi-way cruising at 65 - 70 mph is decent at 2600 rpm.

Other than that, I have not trimmed any sheet metal or moved any of the stock flares from their stock location. When building up my rig, this was my plan in mind. I wasn't looking to build a trailer queen.

It's the perfect DD and mild trail vehicle for me.

Like I mentioned, I've been running BFG - KM2s - 32 x 11.5 on 7" rims with 4.5" BS, for over 10 years now. I'm on my 3rd set of 32's. I also have JKS discos to disconnect the front sway bar when off roading. I have a Protofab tube front bumper for more clearance. I did add a couple of washers to the steering bump stops and have proper bump stops for the front coils and rear springs. Even when the tires are new, I have about 3/4" clearance at the closest body/wheel contact spot, and everything stuffs nicely in the wheel wells.

Also, 4.56 gearing and a 5 spd tranny give 32's some awesome low end "umph". Hi-way cruising at 65 - 70 mph is decent at 2600 rpm.

Other than that, I have not trimmed any sheet metal or moved any of the stock flares from their stock location. When building up my rig, this was my plan in mind. I wasn't looking to build a trailer queen.

It's the perfect DD and mild trail vehicle for me.

Sounds pretty good to me, although I was thinking about going 4.10 so I can still run 75-80 down the interstate. I try not to take the jeep out of town, but sometimes I don't really have a choice and it's nice to be able to keep up with traffic. I think either hearing will be waaaaay better than 3.07 with 31s lol

That looks really good. Any idea how much sheetmetal you cut off?

The yuccaman link shows how my 2001 is cut. The flares are moved upward as high as possible. How much you trim should be determined by how much wheel travel you want or are willing to give up.
I want as much up and down travel as possible, while keeping the wheel coverage barely legal. The 33 X 10.50s, with a 4" BS, just fit under the flares.

4.5” on 35’s
44e53e7cd65497d9bfccc60aaa715248.jpg
5bdf41df001c2cb8c7f5fc3021df3456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how long been running 35s?

A Few months -it’s a new build Im working on I cut the front fenders right along the fender line that runs top of stock flare , it’s almost flush with the windshield washer reservoir, also had to tap the inside fender ridge over to fold it down - then put some fender trim rubber seal on the metal so it’s smooth and looks finished the rears I cut between pinch welds and folded in towards the fender wall and just tacked them together with a wire feed. It was fairly simple and performs well - no rubbing, the wheels I have are a 15x10 -44 offset and the tires stick out about 5” on front 3” on rear- if you ran a 15x8 -23 or close to that they would stick out about 2.5” or 3” on front and minimal on rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back