• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year(s) for mild XJ build?

Nubster

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious what year(s) would be the best to look for if one were to look for a stocker to start a light/medium trail rig build and why? What year(s) would be best to stay away from?

I would say 95-99, leaning toward the 97+ for the fact that it has the 29 spline 8.25... Starting in 95 the 30 came with the 297x shafts instead of 260x's, and through 99 they were high pinion (I believe...maybe it was 2000?)

99... newer intake, high pinion d30, 29sp 8.25.

Depends on the terrain you like. I have a 98 and it's great. The only thing I don't like is the advanced electronics (OBDII, etc.). In S. FL we really only have deep mud and even deeper water, which don't mix well with electronics. I've ruined my computer already because of that.

If water/mud is what you like, I'd go with an older XJ because they have less electronics. Otherwise, I agree that the newer ones are better, especially 2000+ b/c they have the distributorless ignition.

obdII is a pain at times but tends to keep me honest. My 97 has the high pinion 30 but came with a 35 rear. I got it because I liked the newer front end and interior.

Just get what you can find for a good price. If you find one that has a d35 rear just try and get it for $200 less so you can get a junkyard 29spline 8.25. So in my opinion 87-01 ,automatic, 4.0, yata yata. newer then 91? is non renix so power is a bit better.

I have a 2000 and if I had to get another one it would be a 98-99.

Late 96 hands down!

They had the 29 spline 8.25, non disco 30 w/ bigger u-joints, better brake system, better cooling system, and most importantly.... the body style is the same are all the earlier xjs so replacement parts can be easily found in the junk yards and are cheaper. You get all the benefits from a 97-99/01 XJs.
I own a 99 and a 91, the 91 I have no problem finding junk yard parts for, but it had the crappy brakes, and only a 27 spline 8.25. The 99 is impossible to find parts for in the junk yards, its still just too new.

Minus the intake, which seems to be very coveted. I have a 97, and if I were to do it again I would get a 98 or 99. My sister has a 98, and bro has a 95. Between the two, mine sucks. Because it's the start of a new generation, it integrates both systems. Older style tps plug, newer style header and throttle body setup. It can get kind of confusing figuring what swaps and what doesn't. That being said, I love my cupholders and sleeker body.

I had a 96 and I wish I would have kept it. It was an early one though and had the D35 rear. I have found about 6 XJ's in the area for sale but have not looked at them yet. Some are newer, some older but I don't know the specific years. I am off tomorrow so I am going to make some calls. I would like to just get something that is already partially built to save costs but if I can score a cheap XJ then I can still afford to get a lift and tires and a couple other goodies (gears, SYE, maybe a front bumper). Gotta get that truck of mine sold though. I think $5-6k should build a decent light trail rig shouldn't it? Especially if I can get the XJ for $2-2500?

Last edited:
Had this on another thread a couple of days ago. I said '98 was the best because that was the last with the high pinion front end and before the FU 0331 heads (which I have to replace my typically cracked one). Got a lot of flack from the earlier RENIX freaks.

in all honesty i would say the newest one possible in the body style you like. there are no HUGE downsides to XJ's in general except the 84-86 models. i dont see the HP axle in 00-01 models as a big problem unless you use the rig for some tough trails. but for a mild build i dont really see it as a big deal. and if you get an 00-01 with the 0331 head, as long as you take care of it and dont overheat it it wont crack, its not as prone to crack as many make it seem. if youre going to run larger tires though, look for a 97-99 with the C8.25rear axle due to it being stronger than previous rear ends in XJ's.

Last edited:
IMHO...

I think a 1994 XJ is the best year for a DD/WW rig.

94 XJ's controlling system is still OBD I - simpler to work with & modify than OBD II

94 XJ's were the first year with side impact beams and beefed-up roof pillars for roll/crush resistance.

94 XJ's don't have the bigger u-joints, or the beefier 8.25; but if the rig is going to be modified (new gears for example, or even upgraded shafts) this problem becomes negligable. Also, if the 'mild' build-up is only running 31" tires on 'soft' or selectable lockers, then the extra beef isn't really needed.

A 94 XJ will be much, much cheaper than a 98, and the money saved can immediately be put into modifications such as lift, tires, and some engine upgrades. You can do a lot to an XJ with a $1000 dollars...

1994 XJ's have the older body-style, but still are widely supported by the aftermarket. They also only have the single-diaphragm brake booster vs the 1995+ dual-diaphragm booster, but swapping a newer booster in isn't a terribly difficult mod, according to folks who've done it. (One I plan on doing.) On the other hand, the stock brake system is adequate for 31" tires.

Finally, one of the biggest factors to me at least, 1994 was the last year XJ produced before the integration of airbags. Many folks offroad with them, but they make me nervous.

I guess in the end it all depends on what the OP intends to do with the Jeep. What sort of duties the rig will be called upon to do, and what modifications a 'mild' build entails.

:)

Ok. Sounds good and thanks for the info. I will probably keep my search in the mid to later 90's before the newest interior came out. For some reason, the new style interior feels a little more cramped for me than the older. I will just make sure it has the beefier axle whether stock or as a replacement. I really don't intend to do much in the way of hard trails as this will also be my DD so I gotta try to take care of it...lol

everyone knows the 97+ are better, they have good cup holders

Here Here! when I tipped mine on its side I had stuff everywhere but not my Bettos horchata! Holds those big foam cups like a pair clamps.

Late 96 hands down!

They had the 29 spline 8.25, non disco 30 w/ bigger u-joints, better brake system, better cooling system, and most importantly.... the body style is the same are all the earlier xjs so replacement parts can be easily found in the junk yards and are cheaper. You get all the benefits from a 97-99/01 XJs.
I own a 99 and a 91, the 91 I have no problem finding junk yard parts for, but it had the crappy brakes, and only a 27 spline 8.25. The 99 is impossible to find parts for in the junk yards, its still just too new.

how exactly would you know the MFG date?

the sticker on the inside edge of the drivers door has a date. some parts also had dates on them. for example, my door panels have may 24, 1990 stamped on them. my bumper had may 20 stamped on it. but the door is the best place.

Back