• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie XJ build (mild)

SuperB60ce

NAXJA Forum User
So here is the begining of something beautiful...at least I think so. Sold my last TJ years ago and bought a, *cough*, Xterra thinking it would be more practical with kids dog etc. It fit the bill I guess, but I missed the simplicity of a Jeep. So here goes. Took this XJ on trade last month and have decided to keep it for myself. 96 Cherokee Country 4x4 4.0L D30 C8.25 Standard susp. I plan to do a very mild lift (less than 2in) maybe a rear traction aid, disc brake conversion, lighting bumpers etc. She is already a great candidate, very well maintained 190k on the clock.

IMG_5387.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5386.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5385.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5384.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5382.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5381.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very clean! Looks like you might need to replace the rear hatch struts? I used the same kind of implement with my old Fiesta. :thumbup:

Yeah, I already swapped those out

OK, so step one involved replacing the old stereo and speakers. I thought about doing a sub enclosure in the cargo area, but decided against it. I chose to use Polk seperates. 5 1/4 in the front doors and 6 1/2 in the factory sound bar. While I had the drivers door apart for the speaker install, I snaked the wiring harness out of the door jamb and did a complete re-wire / repair of the harness. 19 years of opening and closing had taken its toll, and the door lock switches and window switches no longer worked.

IMG_5460.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5461.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5462.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I chose a Kenwood head unit with bluetooth, Pandora, etc to install in the dash.

IMG_5463.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
So...the suspension was tired...and bone stock. According to the factory build sheet, it was the standard (interpret WEAK ASS) suspension. I want a little bit of lift, but seeing as the primary purpose of this build is to build a capable, albeit mild, trail / camping / Boy Scout Leader vehicle, I do not want to go too crazy. After scouring various forum boards, I decided to try and cobble together a factory type Up Country lift package. It starts with Bilstein 4600 series (Heavy Duty) dampers. for the Rear Springs, I chose the Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1YAZS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
It is supposed to be the same as the Up Country leaves so...

For the front, I chose the Crown Automotive 52001125 Front Coil Spring http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VPV5NC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

It is the "Super Heavy Duty" spring, and I paired them with 1.75in Daystar Budget Boost spacers and removed the factory isolator.

Of course, while i was under there, I replaced the bump stops, sway bar bushings, and used brand new rubber spring eye bushings. I also replaced the steering stabiliser with one from Old Man Emu.

Here are some comparison photos of before and after the "lift"
BEFORE

AFTER

Looking good! Very clean Jeep, you got yourself a great base to work with it looks like.

Thankyou I still need to figure out what to do about wheels and tires. I had thought of sourcing some 16in factory 04 Rubicon (MOAB) wheels and run 245/75/16 (30.5in) or get a fresh set of 15's (5) and run 30in tires. Looking at the General Grabber AT. Have not totaly commited to a new rear bumper / tire carrier yet.

Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! Always seems to be a hot topic of discussion on any vehicle forum board. There is a great topic here on the differences and merits of Cibie' and IPF lights http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1073020

I have always run Cibie' lighting for both headlamps and aux lighting. After consulting numerous web scources I chose to buy an off the shelf relay harness kit and install some fresh Cibie' headlights and Cibie' Cesar 175 Fog lights. Headlight harness can be found here...http://www.headlightservices.com/index.html

Now, my 96 came equipped with cruise control which makes locating relays near the battery challenging. You can see here, I decided to mount the relays to the support riser for the factory relay box.

other than mounting and wiring the hot and ground, this harness is plug and play. You have to remove the grill to snake the harness over, but that is too easy...I already had it removed to fab the harness for the fog lights. You can see here that I use aviation grade anti chafe wire loom when building and / or repairing wiring.

The new Cibie' E-Code Headlight

While I had everything apart, I polished the parking lenses

Did you end up tying your harness down in front of the radiator, or did you just let it sit where it's routed?

Saw your post on the lighting thread and your lights are looking really good too.

Did you end up tying your harness down in front of the radiator, or did you just let it sit where it's routed?

Saw your post on the lighting thread and your lights are looking really good too.

I did zip tie the harness to the lower radiator support

Your lift looks just right. I was looking at the same rear springs and then using spacers like you did. The coils are a nice idea too.

I have a 1994 that looks almost exactly like yours, even has the honeycomb wheels.

What size tire do you have on your XJ now? What tire are you planning to run?

Your lift looks just right. I was looking at the same rear springs and then using spacers like you did. The coils are a nice idea too.

I have a 1994 that looks almost exactly like yours, even has the honeycomb wheels.

What size tire do you have on your XJ now? What tire are you planning to run?

Right now it has 235/75/15 tires on it. I am planning to install 30/9.5/15 General ATs

Very nice ride. Welcome back to the Jeep side. Love the Country xj's with the honeycomb rims.

OK, last weekend I decided to replace the old U-joints. Mind you, they were not clunking, nor did they have any excess play. However, after 19 years and almost 200k miles, I figured I would replace the rear drive shaft joints just for good measure.

I love AeroKroil, IMHO it is the best "break free" ever concocted.

Installed Joints...I used the Spicer Heavy Duty Greasable...

Back