• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear... the aftermath and the run itself.. long

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
We started off about 9:10.... or actually it all started at 5:30am when my alarm clock woke me up. After leaving home I have met up with Mike Lysik in Yorba LInda and drove up to Running Springs where we gassed up and picked up Curt on the road. AFter getting to Sequoia's camp (wooho... I actually found it pretty quick) I went back to the main road, hung a sign directing XJ's to the staging area (on my way to the main road I came across Tim and his son... sorry I forgot his name again :( ).
Anyways, when I got back to the staging area, we got Jason Jones join us up and we have departed picking up Sequoia, Holly, and Mike (Sequoia's dad) at the camp.. so now we had Young Ryan (and his sleeping pilot), Sequoia and Holly, Mike Lysik, Tim and his son, Jason Jones and his daughter (I don't think I ever caught her name.. but she was one brave trooper :) ), Curt, Mike (Sequoia's dad in the ranger) and myself (I think I didn't leave anyone off).

We were off to a pretty good start up the 3N16 to 2N06x which was pretty fun. Almost right off the bat on 2N06X I have been the perfect point for the group.... I have shown everyone which rock to avoid as they could get hung on it... After some wheel spinning in the air (I was hanging a bit on the left rock rail... ) I have done some hi lifting on both sides, put a rock here, a rock there and backed up and up over to the right and I was free. Right after that I had MIke L spot me between couple others and I have completed the rock garden..... Everyone else pretty much did good as they knew which line not too take (I probably would have been way better off if I didn't go charging down without scoping it out.. guess what... from that point on... I was out at anything that looked even remotedly rough LOL)

ANyways... from that point on we charged on to 3N93 and then over couple creek crossings (there was one that had this rock that almost everyone hit... it just depended on whether the vehicle created wave was coming in and hiding it or going out). Then we got on to 3N08 and up on to 3N89 where we stopped to do a quick repair on Sequoia's LCA. He has complained a bit of noise and it turned out that it got tweaked a bit so with some loosening and a tug from strap by jason it readjusted itself more or less and allowed him to complete the trail. At this time Sequoia also discovered some nasty dents in his cross member.

Moving on we crossed over to 3N17 and have completed the trail with some fun rocks going both up and down.......

I would have to say it's been fun meeting everyone and also I Would like to say that each map that we had showed something completely different and none of them really matched the reality LOL ( I will allow someone else to elaborate on this matter)

Getting back to damages:
Well, I know that Sequoia banged his crossmember pretty bad, pushed his LCA back and had to have a "tow trap" rescue pull it back to the proper positon (more or less), also I think he mentioned something abotu a cat....

Myself I scraped the rails all over plus I have put in one dent in my crossmember (GRRR I gotta get the $$ for the SYE and a new shaft one of these days so that I Can remove the drop and maybe have a high clearance crossmember).... And for the kicker... my passenger tire (I think on a full stuffage) as I turned has pulled in the fender panel and bent it in and popped off a flare... so about 3 minutes in gloves got it straight more or less.. and the flare finished a trail in my cargo area :)

Any other damage? I know Mike L kept nailing his passenger side mirror and he had to keep popping it off.

All right... as I said it's been fun.. we will have to do it again and I might have pics up tomorrow (finshed off 2 rolls) and we will also get another video from the famous "Sequoia Studios" sometime later this season :)

Kejtar
P.S. I know I forgot something... but it will come to me later....

LOL... I only fess up to two mistakes... one as we were going up to get Sequoia... and one more... the rest was just bad luck along with road closures and bad maps! :) :)

Btw... during each and every one turn around (I think the total number was 4?) we didn't really stray too long..... :) Plus remember it gave each and every one of us a chance to get a full frontal shot on Sequoia's cam :)

Yeah, today was a blast (as was yesterday!). My damage report is as follows (I'll have pictures tomorrow probably, I know everybody wants to SEE the damage!)

De-Virginized LH Rocker Panel (Small dent, but dent non-the-less)
New Rub Marks! (Front end, against the inside fender wall, also on the brake line, uh-oh!)
Banged to Hell Crossmember (Got probably three big dents in it)
Small dent in Trans pan.
Slightly scarred LCA's.
Scraped Diff.
Scrateched NEW Front Receiver.
Smashed rear facing light. (On that run at the beginning, the rock garden)
The mentioned pushing the LCA back (the coil was rubbing against the bump stop)
Cat was smashed probably .5 - 1 inch.
Dented Flowmaster.
Most the U-Bolts for my exaust...bent

That's all I can think of at the moment..teh sad part is I think there's more!

Sequoia
Yeah, I take the cake for most trail damage this time out!

Heheh WWR.... anyway I had alot of fun and it was fun to see everyone again. I really need to put my bumpstops in. I think i'm just ganna hockey puck it

Hey Guys:
Thanks to all for a good time & it was great to suck up all your guys dirt all day.....I got home just before 2100 hrs. (got caught
behind a lapper in a WJ ....MIND NUMBING....) TBent once I was in Fawnskin I was in a somewhat familiar area & I usually go to B.B.
that way so getting down was no problem. I don't know if you heard me holler that I found a Ph. booth. Glad to see Wrong Way
Remi made it... LOL ! I think you had better add a 1 infront of that 4 for wrong turns.....LOL! And the trail on you GPS is gonna be a squiggly line running back & forth over itself..LOL! I have to admit though after the wrong turn Sequoia's dad made.... I hope you all got him pointed towards Yucca Valley...
Thanks again !! I had a fun time....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)
P.S. Jason J. you daughter is adorable...... give her a tickle for me!
seeing her all day made me REALLY miss my little ones.

Here's another set of pictures of Pioneer Town and the trail that we took to Big Bear. They only cover the first half until my photographer fell asleep. lol!

LOL... I have re-examined the GPS route and it looked pretty good! In general there were two major dead ends (one was the locked gate and hte other the road that turned out to be abandoned road). The other instances were:
1. The wrong turn after the crossing (which led to the gate)
2. Wrong turn on our way back to Sequoia's camp in the morning
3. W turn towards 38 at the end (which really would have gotten us out either way :) )

I think that covers all of them... so it wasn't as bad as you're making it sound :) Btw, I have ot add that as nice as the sidekick maps are for planning: they are terrible for navigation!

Kejtar

OK... just found out something else: Mike remember where I hit my front right tow hook? I didn't pay that much attention to it then, but when I went to get my tires rotated and balanced (it seems every one of my tires needed a weight... I know I didn't loose any, or at least not that many) I saw that the whole bracket is bent... Tiem to look for some of them chevy's :) or to get a front receiver ...

Kejtar

Well, it sounds like a good run (with more than a little drama)?

I got tangled up in some Sunday morning business, and did not make it out to the Green Valley end of the trails until @10:30AM. I did not expect you to take the rock garden end of 3N93 (off of 3N16) and kept going until I noticed the tire tracks at the beginning of 2N07X. I could not tell much from the tracks so I tried to raise contact on the radio, but no answer. I was traveling solo so I choose to not run the black diamond trail alone (there is a reason for the trail ratings).

I ran around to 3N14 and the creek crossing east of 3N93 and found no tracks, so I imagine the group finished this trail well after noon? There was a family of three vehicles pulling in to have lunch when I left, maybe they were still there when you crossed the creek?

I imagine after 3N93 most of the drama was over and the balance of the run was mild? When did to front axle fail (when was it noticed)?

the front axle failed on the previous day.... and it appears that it was noticed on the highway (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...... The 3N93 wasn't that bad.... as I said... bad line on my part and using the "skinny" locker at the wrong time :(

There were couple vehicles where the creek was so those might have been the same....

Kejtar
P.S. Drama was on the other day :)

The topo of the run

12route2-med.JPG

So as you see... there were really only 2...... big turnarounds... everything else was minor :)

Yup, it was my little run up 2N02 that all the drama is centered around.

Sounds like the family you saw was the one we did (I think tan Ford F-150 in there). I found ALL the rocks under that water!

Back