• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did you drive in the snow yesterday/today?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Post pics of your weather related driving incidents/adventures!

149581_457631942329_701097329_6049117_1862499_n.jpg

This was the start of my day, after being at school for an hour I walked out to find this.

76579_457725027329_701097329_6050392_7567053_n.jpg

On my way to work I got to help with a jacked up semi on 164th just before 99 in Lynnwood. The cops weren't doing anything, so I instructed several drivers on what to do and they got out of there safely. On the bright side, I managed to get two flares for future use from the coppers.

I wish I had a dash cam, I was out for a couple hours last night driving around with some other Jeeps...some of the driving from our group was just amazing to watch. It was like a slower version of a drift competition but with tall/huge tire Jeeps (I was the small Jeep in the convoy on 35's).

Post your pics!

Got my knuckle down to Pullaylup and got back up to my house.
Started around 3 and got home @ 630pm I feel pretty lucky considering the amount of 167 and I405 I had to travel.

Saw a lifted chevy on 37s try to make a turn at an intersection doing about 20. Successfully turned 45 degrees then headed strait for a corner house ending up in their living room! No freakin camera to take pics!

Saw a lifted chevy on 37s try to make a turn at an intersection doing about 20. Successfully turned 45 degrees then headed strait for a corner house ending up in their living room! No freakin camera to take pics!

FAIL

i kind of had to. with work and all lol
imag0063lv.jpg

imag0064s.jpg

good place to do donuts. got my jeep stuck in 4 low last night finally got it back into hi mode. i dont know what went wrong. was in 4 hi then it poped and all i got was nutural and low :(

Yesterday mornin started out like this in Auburn...got to work fine.

2010-11-22071547.jpg

After work at 3 took hour and a half to get from Renton to Auburn..then another2 hours and 15 minutes to get from Auburn to Puyallup. Came out to this, this morning. Its crazy how stupid people are drivin in this. Saw some dumbass in a Yukon doin donuts..next to a friggin gas station...good move buddy.

2010-11-23115846.jpg

2010-11-23115828.jpg

I wish I had a dash cam, I was out for a couple hours last night driving around with some other Jeeps...some of the driving from our group was just amazing to watch. It was like a slower version of a drift competition but with tall/huge tire Jeeps (I was the small Jeep in the convoy on 35's).
good place to do donuts.

Saw some dumbass in a Yukon doin donuts..next to a friggin gas station...good move buddy.

I watched an F150 try to drift a corner last night and almost roll it. I was sad Darwin wasn't quick enough, but at least he ended up high centered on a bank of shrubs, perpendicular to the road, staring at a gas station. He wasn't too happy.

:doh:

I don't care how "experienced" people think they may be at driving in the snow/ice. Screwing off and purposely trying to lose control around others is retarded. Instead find an icy bridge to go show off on, or maybe a remote cliff side road.

Yes I'm a party pooper, but I'll say it again, please don't be a dumbass.

Well said Dustin, even if you are in "full control" of your vehicle, you may startle other drivers into making mistakes that can injure themselves and others. On a slightly related note, Dean mud terrains are the worst tire for snow conditions I have ever used.

I don't care how "experienced" people think they may be at driving in the snow/ice. Screwing off and purposely trying to lose control around others is retarded. Instead find an icy bridge to go show off on, or maybe a remote cliff side road.

in my defense it was 1 am, this is the first time i drove this jeep in the snow and i wanted to learn how it handled in thease conditions. it was in a wide open area with no one around. i personally would prefer for people to do donuts in a safe area like a empty parking lot to learn how the vehicle handles then driving with out the experance and discovering my fenders :gee:

I drove around the west hills today in a FedEx truck. Only skipped one stop all day due to a road being impassable. A few others I wish I'd skipped...

Who's to say I was doing it around others outside the convoy? The guys I was with were well aware of what was going on, as was I, and we all know the risk. It's no different then going wheeling with other rigs, each of you knows the dangers and accepts it. With that said, you know as well as I do that every scenario is different and there is ALWAYS a risk when driving on snow/ice. The bottom line is we, as off-road enthusiast, need to remember there's a time and a place for screwing around.

Empty parking lot drifting = don't try and tell me I'm endangering someone.

On with the thread, I want to see more action shots! No one got pictures of stuck cars they tried to help or anything?

There was so many people stuck last night tryin to come up the hills in Puyallup. Most of them idiots. Saw 3 people push a girl out of some ice who was in a chevy aveo...the second she was turned around and drivin again she was textin on her phone. Probably the reason she was stuck in the first place. People piss me off.

I was ready to help pull people out but didnt really find anybody that needed the help. Most just got stuck tryin to go up icy hills.

I don't have pics but I ended up dragging a little sub-compact POS with 2 about half frozen women up Orilla road last night. They were in what amounted to the 3rd lane out from the curb and the car just puked out and wouldn't re-start even with a jump. Quite amusing to cruise past people who couldn't even get moving, while dragging a car along behind me. After dropping them off with a husband at the transfer station I spent a good couple of hours helping get the idiots get moving from the 188th & I-5 interchange.(and yes I left the snow covering my license plate) I gotta say, the most satisfying one was helping the veteran who had just recently returned home from Iraq. He was the only person who had spent more time there helping people than me. I was more than glad to shake his hand and thank him for his service and help him finally head for home.

I completely agree with TORX about being a dumbass around other people, I also agree that just like hitting the trails each driver must familiarize themselves with how the vehicle reacts in snow/icy conditions. Granted with ice, you will never know exactly how your rig will react since you have no control.
Im glad to hear alot of people getting out and having a little fun and also being a around good person for those of you who did help the needy.

As it is going to be a extremely cold and icy night yet again, please be safe if you have to go out.

Thanks for the sendoff jones , its gona be a interesting ride home at 1am
Nice pict anders

The bottom line is we, as off-road enthusiast, need to remember there's a time and a place for screwing around.

Empty parking lot drifting = don't try and tell me I'm endangering someone.

Cool, so I suppose as a good responsible offroad enthusiast you had the permission of the property owners to be 'screwing around' in their parking lot, thus being a positive ambassador to our sport?

:shhh:

You bet I did.

My XJ is unlifted with Pro Comp ES3000s and Mastercraft Glacier Grip 2s w/ studs.

I drove around Lake Forest Park, Shoreline, Maple Leaf and the northern end of the U-District. Kept it in part-time the entire time and never had a problem.

Personally, I'd like to see less bitching about SDOT/WSDOT response to these events and more personal responsibility vehicle-wise. I'd like to see people who are ill-equipped for the conditions on the receiving end of a $1,000 fine and an instantaneous towing. I'd also like to see that fine money used to subsidize low-income drivers with a set of chains or a credit towards proper tires. You shouldn't be traveling if you can't be bothered to prepare.

I can't stand the attitude that the government is somehow responsible for our ability to traverse the roads in such conditions. That was such a relatively small storm that sending out anything but plows was overkill, the exception being the most hilly areas (Beacon Hill/Capitol Hill/Queen Anne/Magnolia/etc.). Those areas should be the focus of intense traction-increasing actions. Alas, that would mean no annual laugh-riot videos of morons playing bumper cars, but it would cost less and be more productive.

/end rant

Back