• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm recommendations

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 w 3" lift needs new upper and lower arms.
I was planning on stock Moog uppers (unless theres a better option).
Not sure what brand for lowers though.
Would prefer rubber.
Recommendations?
TIA!

I'd second the Core. I have Core Stage 1, JKS and Rough Country (possibly). I bought the Core Upper to replace the damaged RC uppers. RC uppers only have 1/16th sheet metal. Core are 1/4 and JKS are 3/16ths. Plenty of others though. The Core Uppers were $110 for a pair. I didn't see anything else in that price range.

Thanks ya'll. Thinkn im gonna go with the full set. For a daily that trail runs with the sway disconnected now amd then would ya go for rubber all around? Its my daily and only vehicle.
I might go from 3 to 4 inches later when i cam get an sye but for

You want arms that have some sort of "johnny joint".

I disagree rubber or poly will work well on a daily driver trail rig. And a guy can make good use of cheap arms that come with poly joints.
Sfr has soft poly joints that you could put in to replace the hard poly.

I do like the looks of the core arms.

I'd second the Core. I have Core Stage 1, JKS and Rough Country (possibly). I bought the Core Upper to replace the damaged RC uppers. RC uppers only have 1/16th sheet metal. Core are 1/4 and JKS are 3/16ths. Plenty of others though. The Core Uppers were $110 for a pair. I didn't see anything else in that price range.

A local guy mentioned about how good the Core stuff. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and dually wheels on the Superduty this week before we can start working on buddy's XJ. Will definitely consider Core.

A local guy mentioned about how good the Core stuff. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and dually wheels on the Superduty this week before we can start working on buddy's XJ. Will definitely consider Core.

Yes, there are plenty of options in control arms. Also, I am not knocking JKS. They are quality. Do look at Metal Cloak.

I run core4x4 on my ZJ as a lower cost option and they work really well.( the front suspension on a ZJ is exactly the same as a XJ) Of course on my XJ, I am running long arms, and it provides great on and off road performance.

I just ordered the adjustable upper and lowers from Ironman4x4. Don't have them in my hands yet, but from what I can tell in photos their stuff looks overbuilt and really really nice. I'm pretty much replacing my RE lift with his stuff with the exceptions of springs and shocks (probably will keep the leafs but replace the shocks with OME's or something else of better quality). Definitely going to upgrade to his 4 link for the front later down the road after I rebuild my engine.

Looking on videos, even if I go with stock I have to press out the bushing and sleeve on the upper axle side and then press the new one in?
IS THAT RIGHT?
I assumed it was plug n play.
TO replace uppers, even if I go stock upper, do I really need a press and chisel?

Oh yes, they don't come out or get put in easily, a press is definitely needed for the drivers side.

The upper arm axle side bushing is pressed into the axle housing. If your axle side upper bushings are in good shape, you don't need to replace them to swap your arms out. If the axle side upper bushings are trashed you can use a ball joint press to press out the old one and replace them. I believe the MOOG part # is K3128. Here's a video some guy made showing how to do it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYTSoBnvgG0

Back