• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper and frame questions

NewBreedCustom

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a bumper from a fellow member here and I am getting around to putting it on. So I pulled my stock bumper off and it doesn't look like the bumper will slide on flush like it is supposed to. This is my first bumper install so please correct me if I am wrong. The frame rails on the driver side has a bend at the end and it curves out towards the fender, same as the passenger side. Is this normal? Does it look like it's been in an accident? Any advice would be helpful. I have attached pictures for reference. If it matters (which I don't think it does) it is an 89 4.0 4 door.

bumper7.jpg

bumper6.jpg

bumper4.jpg

bumper3.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper1.jpg

correct. try a highlift to stretch the bumper and then clamp it back tight to the jeep

Yup everything looks normal to me, just use some vise grips, or a hammer to straighten the little bends in the frame. It should be straight. And like he said you may have to spread the bumper brackets a touch to get em on! Looks like a nice bumper thow

And you ussually have to cut the lower part of the fender bracket off the part where the horns mount.

Bumper is bad. ill happily take it off your hands to save you frustration. :D

Its all good man just make it work. it being a little tight make it easier to one man install.

Beat it until it submits. You will have to remove that fender support bracket though, obviously somebody wasn't smart enough to make the mounts on the bumper in a manner to clear that. :D

I usually just take sawzall and cut it or bend it out of the way and then bend it back once bumper is installed. then you can use a self tapper to re install it.

Yes. Your XJ has been in a front collision at some time in it's past. Those outside surfaces of the "frame" should be flat and straight.

I usually just take sawzall and cut it or bend it out of the way and then bend it back once bumper is installed. then you can use a self tapper to re install it.

That ^^^ . I kept my support brackets when I installed my front bumper on the XJ (some dude in Utah, can't remember...), that was a very similar design. just bend them a bit out of the way and put em back when you're done.:peace:

Ok this might be a dumb question but I need advice on getting the bumper into position. My jack, even with some wood blocks, is not tall enough to get it to the mounting points. Any tips/tricks for a solo mount?

I used a motorcycle jack and an ammo box to lift and hold my bumper in place. Worked great!

picture.php

an engine hoist is handy.

I use these things called muscles. .!.. :D ..!.

Just remember to use your back in a jerking, twisting motion

Hey, when I told my physical therapist I like to take my vicodin and diazepam with whiskey she just laughed. She never said I shouldn't. :D

Oh this is funny, considering I usually did take it before bed with a glass of whiskey

Diazepam is used to relieve anxiety, muscle spasms, and seizures and to control agitation caused by alcohol withdrawal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzqQst-Sg8

Last edited:
I use a couple long drifts (like a pin punch, or spud bar) to get holes sorta lined up. If the work is that heavy, I only pick up or hold one end at a time. In theory, I'm only lifting half the weight, depending on my lift point and fulcrum point.

Hopefully, with the work resting on the drifts, they won't fall out of the holes while I'm running the first bolt.

So I finally got around to putting this bumper on, the steering box bolts and front bumper mounts lined up great, but nothing else does. Would there be any issues if I drilled new holes?

Back