NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2010, 17:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: The Life, Death, & Rebirth of a Black Jeep

Finished up mounting the tank. Rear riser bars match the back, upward angle of the stock tank. Got an extra set of straps from Anthony(asp) and modded up bolt holes on both ends and got the tank secured down nicely. Later on, I'll skin the underside with some dimple-died sheetmetal and a layer of plastic with some countersunk bolts.

Finished up the rear crossmember and shackle boxes, I'll add the tabs on once I can swing the leafs/axle/tires under and get a nice angle. I choose not to add any plating across the rear crossmember, I just did the sides around the shackles boxes and framerails. I figure my stout rear bumper will do a better job then anything else. Also, the angle iron and tube frame for the tank seemed to stiffen the rear stucture up a little bit too.

Next up, I'll start making the plates for the middle and rear stiffeners. It should be very straight foward and quick. Since I'm gunna mount the front 3 link solid to the frame, I'll just make some basic 2x5 crossmembers with 3 1/2" Gr. 8 nuts welded to the inside of each spot on the stiffeners. One in the stock location, one just behind the output of the t-case, and possibly another to support a bellypan structure skinned with more sheetmetal and plastic. Once the middle and rear stiffeners are in, I'll build the front leaf hangers. By the time thats all done, I'll have purchased some wheels. I'm thinking something like a 17" x 8" or 9" with roughly 3.5" of backspacing will do nicely. I'm just gunna get some black steelies and either now or a little bit later, I'll add on some weld-on beadlocks. This will allow me to setup the rear axle and suspension. Thats about my goals for right now, once that junk is down, I'll start to move my way forward to the front of the Jeep and work on all that fun stuff.
Old August 1st, 2010, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome dude.
Old August 1st, 2010, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwar71 View Post
I'll be relocating the existing fuel door on the quarter panel. I'll route and trim the lines to fit, followed my building an encloser to protect them for stuff inside the jeep. The rear of the jeep is gunna get all new wheelwells so I'll design an extra section that not only covers it, but is removable to allow access to the lines. The plan is to have the whole tank assem sealed from the inside of the cab.
Don't mount the fuel fill flush with the quarter panel like I did. Sucks because when fueling I have to stand there and hold the nozzle or else it just falls out. For now I just open the hatch and fill it that way, someday I'll get around to fixing it.
Old August 1st, 2010, 18:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj9140 View Post
Don't mount the fuel fill flush with the quarter panel like I did.

I'm gunna do some bodywork and relocate the whole filler housing and door. It'll be just like filling a stock setup, except it'll be mounted further back and higher up on that flat plan of the quarter panel below the body line.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 19:29
Jackstand wheeler

Looking good Ross. Pretty much the same idea I've been wanting to do with my fuel cell for years to gain some room back inside. You just have this way of actually making "progress".

And I noticed you pointing out the grade 8 nuts every time you use them. Just remember any time you weld on/near a fastener you weaken it. That's why in those in progress pics from when I did Johnny's 3 link it was all cheap bolts. I swap in the grade 8's when the welding is done so I don't compromise them.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 19:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocker View Post
And I noticed you pointing out the grade 8 nuts every time you use them. Just remember any time you weld on/near a fastener you weaken it. That's why in those in progress pics from when I did Johnny's 3 link it was all cheap bolts. I swap in the grade 8's when the welding is done so I don't compromise them.
Good point!! When I'm welding the nuts themselves, I try to just do a couple of strong tacks across it and keep heat down on the nut. For each size thread, I have some sacarfical bolts I usually like to use. By now, a couple of them have been well "heat treated"

On the same topic.....Remember folks, be sure to use a tap and/or die after welding too!!!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 19:58
Jackstand wheeler

Quote:
Good point!! When I'm welding the nuts themselves, I try to just do a couple of strong tacks across it and keep heat down on the nut. For each size thread, I have some sacarfical bolts I usually like to use. By now, a couple of them have been well "heat treated"

On the same topic.....Remember folks, be sure to use a tap and/or die after welding too!!!
I actually use the cheap bolts to avoid doing that as well. Every time you run a tap/die over a fastener, especially one that's been heated, you have the potential to take off material, lessening the percentage of thread engagement. And even worse, the potential for cross threading. Just leave a junk bolt in the nut in this case, and it will keep material from getting into the threads.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
at least you've learned from your mistakes
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp View Post
at least you've learned from your mistakes
I LOVE welding TRE's and trackbar adjusters solid!!
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:54
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocker View Post
Looking good Ross. Pretty much the same idea I've been wanting to do with my fuel cell for years to gain some room back inside. You just have this way of actually making "progress".

It's a pretty big change in strength, too. I welded a 5/8" grade-8 nut onto the head of a hub bolt last week to remove it, and it softened it to the point that my socket left imprints on the flats. I was only using a breaker bar.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 17th, 2010, 16:43
NAXJA Forum User

Got a little distracted lately with my dad and we're trying to finish up an old project that we've had for 7+ years. This is the second time the engine's been dropped back in (freshly rebuilt with 4hrs of run time and it took a dump the first time after some crappy workmenship from a now shaddy and failing local engine builder).

Got some work done on the Jeep though and stripped some more stuff. I think I'll put the header panel, fenders, and mirrors on the DD 95. I plan on doing some tube fenders and a custom grill kinda like what EricXJ did. The nose will also get chopped and narrowed a little bit, I wanna go from a 7 slot grill to a 5 slot grill.

Chopped out the pinch seam on the DS and welded it all back up, I left the UCA cup since it shouldn't be a clearence issue. Started working on the tranny crossmember, I cut and boxed the center section for the tranny mount to recess into the 2x5x.250. I want the entire bellypan to be flush with the bottom of the framerails, the only thing that will be sticking out will be the nuts for the tranny mount. When I skin the entire bottom, I'll weld some slugs around the nuts to protect them.

Anybody know what time it is? I need a clock!!!

Last edited by foxwar71; August 17th, 2010 at 16:50.
Old August 17th, 2010, 20:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Anybody know what time it is? I need a clock!!!

My watch says it's time to get rid of the 231.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
Quiet!!! after its driving, or maybe even later in the build, ill do some bling t-case stuff. although, now i should remember where i saw that flipped and twin sticked D300 for $400......
Old September 6th, 2010, 18:59
NAXJA Forum User

A good holiday weekend, I labored all day long

A used a 5 foot piece of 3x3x3/16" angle iron on each side as the main middle frame stiffeners. I cut some slots in the middle area to allow the metal to bend a little bit and compensate for that small step on the factory rails just behind the tranny crossmember. I then pulled the drill press out and proceeded to drill a ton of 3/8" holes for plug welds all over the place. I also drilled out a couple 1/2" holes and welded some nuts on the backside, these will be for the mounts for the rear crossmember at the output of the t-case. This crossmember will give me my structure for the bellypan and a mount for the frameside of the traction bar to come.

I went to town welding these things in. I did the entire perimeter, came out real nice. I started the day with like ~700 PSI in the MIG's tank so I didn't think I was gunna get to far. Outta like 30 feet of welding and like 100 plug welds, I ran outta gas with less then a foot left and like 5 plug welds

Next up is I'll flap wheel the sides smooth and shot some paint over everything. Then, I'll start cutting up some 1/8" plate and start on the rear stiffeners.