• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.7L Mopar V8 (non-hemi)

Project_MudXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I ran across a great deal. A friend of mine aquired a free "5.7L Mopar V8" is his exact words for it. He said its not a Hemi, so all I can put together is its the V8 found in the Grand Cherokees but still not sure exactly what its found in. Its pretty new and he was tellin me that it should bolt straight up to my AW4, he is gonna let me have it for a low low price, as in like $200 or maybe less if I get lucky Complete with everything all it needs is to be thrown in, although I imagine there is wiring and chopping and frame strengthening and other stuff that needs to be changed. Him and his brother are going to help me put it in soon if I can scrounge up the money. Can anyone tell me anything about this 5.7L V8 or if anyone has put one into their XJ? Please no "forget V8 go stroker" posts, thanks...

You can use the 4-spd auto that came behind the 5.2 and 5.9. I don't know what the pattern is on the back of the 4.7.

If you use the auto from the 5.2 and 5.9 you might or might not need to change the input gear on your t-case and it will bolt up. I believe they came with a 23 spline input. Or just grab the t-case from a 1/2 ton pickup and get the wider chain that comes with it. The SYE from a Jeep 231 will work on the pickup 231 also.

Back in the early 90's I new a guy that put a TBI 5.9 into a cherokee. He used the 4-spd from the pickup he pulled the motor from and the Jeep 231. Ray Pili that used to hang around here had a 5.2 in his. Not sure what if he still has it or not. Pretty cool swap.

46RH used ffom 93-96 in the 5.2 ZJ's
44RE used ifrom 96-98 in 5.2 ZJ's
46RE used in 98 (only year you could get them) 5.9 ZJ's
249 is the only transfer case you could get in a V8 ZJ
5.9 in a ZJ has different heads, and higher compresson than the truck version. It is pretty much spacifice to the ZJ as far as a exact replacement.

EDIT: I reread my 5.9 info didn't say nothing about the heads or higher compression. What it did say is the ZJ 5.9 had a 15* timing advance that resulted in the increased Hp (along with the electric fan) over the truck version, and required the premium fuel

My advise get the thing for the $200 clams, and resell it to some dumb ass who dosn't know any better for twice that much.

Last edited:
Here is the complete GC tranny list with Manuals:

545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

w_howey said:

545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

I see we go to the same place for Grand Cherokee info.

The only mopar motor I can think of is the small block 340 that would be right at 5.7L (other than of course the newer hemi motor,...which is 345 cid). As stated above the grands came with the 5.2 (318), 5.9(360), and now the 4.7 and 5.7L hemi. No other 5.7L engine was ever used in the grands (or any jeep for that matter). Your AW-4 will not bolt up as the mopar engines have a different BP from the AMC engines and the AW-4 never came behind a mopar motor that I can recall.

If it is the 340 it's a great motor...they ran them in most of the muscle cars, ...road runner, dart, challenger, cuda and others as well...even some trucks. One of the most under rated engines. If memory serves at one point they ran 275 HP in stock form.

Should have the same BP as the 318 and 360 so any of the later model trannies should work with it...BUT if they are ecu controlled auto trannies good luck. If you can get a stand alone auto tranny (IE the 727 ...mopar version of course) you'd be better off...even if it's electronic controlled and does not require being wired to the engine (meaning it's own stand alone control) you would be able to bolt it up...then you should be able to bolt up any number of t-cases to the tranny. The NP-435 should also work as might the T-18. Both were offered in dodge trucks I believe. Also the NV-4500 would be easily adaptable...and even came stock in some dodge trucks.

Last edited:
The A524 is a 4 speed auto that doesn't need the computer. If you get a wiring harness out of a donar using one of the electronic autos shoudln't matter.

w_howey said:

The 93 ZJ 4.0L used the AW4 for the automatic. They changed to the Chrysler trannies in 1994.

scoobyxj said:
I see we go to the same place for Grand Cherokee info.

Momma wanted the 'cadilliac' Jeep. I needed to find somewhere that had the tech of this place. Still lookin, but they do try hard other there.

w_howey said:

I didn't think they ever put a manual trans in the grand cherokee. Does anyone know how common those are or where I can find one. (I would love to see pictures)

IIRC, only a 93 (maybe a 94) ZJ got a stick shift (AX15 behind a 4.0l.) Relatively few of them were made.

Someone I used to work with had a ZJ, and went to a couple of the Grand Slam events. Apparently, someone there was wheeling a stick shift ZJ.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I didn't think they ever put a manual trans in the grand cherokee. Does anyone know how common those are or where I can find one. (I would love to see pictures)
1993 only. VERY rare.

ChiXJeff said:
IIRC, only a 93 (maybe a 94) ZJ got a stick shift (AX15 behind a 4.0l.) Relatively few of them were made.

Someone I used to work with had a ZJ, and went to a couple of the Grand Slam events. Apparently, someone there was wheeling a stick shift ZJ.
theres a gut on another forum that i'm on that swaped a ax-15 into his ZJ

As far as Jeep never using a 5.7 liter (350cid) engine, they did. Late 60's or early 70's I believe. Guy at our local body shop had it. Don't remember if it was the truck or old big Cherokee.

Both trucks and wagons...it was a buick 350...now I remember it. But it isn't a mopar (dodge chrysler) v-8 as this guys says is what he is looking at.

Back