• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best type of LED lights for driving

I live in northeast Ohio by the way... so there will be plenty of ice and snow for me to provide a better review sooner or later. So far the little bit of snow/frost has had zero effect... no build-up/freeze-over.

I have the same clear housings loaded with -PIAA 15224 H4's- and an upgraded harness. I am very happy with the light output and pattern

Ok, So I have no idea what housings I have (came on the jeep) I believe they are H4s. Anyone able to confirm this? Also will the LED bulbs from Olympus fit in this housing? Its hard to see but these have Daytime Running Lights and I dont want to loose them if I have to replace the housings. Center section is like a soccer ball shape.
Will there be a marking on them telling me the brand? I have never taken them out to see if the bulbs are removable.

Sorry, this is the best pic I can find.

10411952_10152637723714078_4530762060810743909_n.jpg

Ok, So I have no idea what housings I have (came on the jeep) I believe they are H4s.
They take H4 bulbs, but they have a crap beam pattern. Cheap ebay "crystal" garbage. Putting any different bulb is not going to fix them, just make them worse and add glare. You want to see? Replace them.

I went the upgraded light route first and wasn't satisfied until I did this: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Now that is solid info right there. Basically robbing switched power from the factory headlight system to switch on the relays, and supply direct battery power to the new lights. Makes sense, I'm going to run a main power from the post to this fused gang section, will also be able to run my onboard air pump as well

Back when I had my XJ, the first thing I did was get rid of the crappy stock headlights and got a set of sylvania silver star sealed beam halogen replacements. They made a huge difference. I also added factory fog lights and they also helped increase the light output.

I never replaced the harness but when I get another jeep I will try that too.

They take H4 bulbs, but they have a crap beam pattern. Cheap ebay "crystal" garbage. Putting any different bulb is not going to fix them, just make them worse and add glare. You want to see? Replace them.

+1

When I first got my Jeep the headlights sucked. I got some KCs and tied them in with my high beams. That helped, but I still had to turn them off for oncoming drivers. I added factory style fog lights and those helped a bit. The best thing I did was get some IPF H4 housings, Hella H4 90/130 watt bulbs, and upgraded wiring harness. That made more of a difference than the fog and KC lights combined. I wish I had done that first. I can guarantee you will be happier upgrading your stock headlights compared to just adding some LED pod lights on your Jeep.

Autopals housings, eautoworks harness and sylvania ultra stars here and its pretty bright, no problems at night.

Does anyone know the difference between Candlepower and Lumens, when rating brightness of a lights output? Does Lumens apply to LEDs only? I'll post a few pictures of a Baja Design 10" rated at 4200 lumens @ 100% power output.

Lumens measure total light output. Candlepower is a measure of light output at a certain angle. Lumens apply to all lights, not just LEDs.

Candlepower is directly related to lumens, but can be fudged a bit based on where you take your measurements.

Now that is solid info right there. Basically robbing switched power from the factory headlight system to switch on the relays, and supply direct battery power to the new lights. Makes sense, I'm going to run a main power from the post to this fused gang section, will also be able to run my onboard air pump as well
I need a fuse (or breaker) box like that, BTW I have the same HF Tap & Die set.

Does anyone know the difference between Candlepower and Lumens, when rating brightness of a lights output? Does Lumens apply to LEDs only? I'll post a few pictures of a Baja Design 10" rated at 4200 lumens @ 100% power output.

:idea:
Many LED's are rated in MCD - mini-Candelas, It is a measure of brightness - in a single direction, Lumens measure total light output. i.e. a 40-Watt lightbulb should put out a good 400 Lumen (probably similar to a 5-Watt LED)

Converter, and info:
http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz

More info:
http://www.compuphase.com/electronics/candela_lumen.htm

I can't help with lumens but I can say I have Hella headlight housings w/ leds in one xj and IPF housings w/ leds in another. Each have direct from battery power using relay. Excellent excellent patterns and output from both using recent design led bulbs is terrific. Best non - drive train upgrade ever.

I can't help with lumens but I can say I have Hella headlight housings w/ leds in one xj and IPF housings w/ leds in another. Each have direct from battery power using relay. Excellent excellent patterns and output from both using recent design led bulbs is terrific. Best non - drive train upgrade ever.

What brand of LEDs did you get? I'm planning to upgrade mine.

Back