• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

That looks great. I need to get mine in still. I was working on how to go about building a bumper over it. Do you have any other pics of the tieins. It looks awesome brent.

I bought a set of "builder tie-ins from DirtBound, then cut them down and notched them to fit the 1.5" x 3" tube. I'll add a gusset later between the tie-in and the wing.

40132328810_5d069dac44_z.jpg
[/url]

Getting this unit into place was something I knew would be a challenge. I had asked Bryson about this and he told me more
 he highly recommended a jack, such a transmission jack, and that he liked to have killed himself the first time he tried this. I don’t have a working transmission jack. I didn’t have high hopes for this

Here's what I ended up with for a home-made bumper. Took me way too long - I really don't have all the tools needed to do this the easy way, but it's finished now. Just needs paint and final install. Approach angle will be awesome and I'm happy with how it turned out.

IMG_0166 by Brent Taylor, on Flickr
IMG_0167 by Brent Taylor, on Flickr
IMG_0168 by Brent Taylor, on Flickr
IMG_0169 by Brent Taylor, on Flickr

Like this:

CompMountOnOPT.jpg

To be fair, there is not yet an opening in the bumper for the fairlead. I am still working on that. I will probably have to cut out the bottom third of the bumper in the center, about the width of the license plate. We will see how well the license plate hides it.

The plastic valence is necessary in order to hide the mount. It hangs lower than the bottom of the bumper. The valence will require some trimming and some different mounting holes. I have that planned out in my mind. I will post up pics as progress occurs.

About to order this after looking for years for the Ramsey 295153 Jeep special equipment hidden mounting kit. The way that kit mounted the winch was flawed and required the special winch that Ramsey made that allowed pulling from mounting feet.

The Boostwerks style is much stronger & better than OEM accessory !
Also bonus that if using the factory bumper... it doesn't have the "Bubba Gump" look extending the bumper out from body.

Have you thought about making a spacer "box" to hold fairlead ?
Could weld extension box to front of this kit allowing the fairlead to be flush as possible to go thru factory bumper. Some gussets for side pulls.

Yes. Some sort of fairlead extension is the plan. I just need to have time to work on it. Life has demanded other priorities this year, and I think I have myself already buried in projects through this coming winter.

I have the Warn Zeon 8-S winch and it doesn't appear that it's compatible with this BWE Comp Mount kit.

Can anyone confirm this, or can I mod the Winch to allow it to work? I'd like to get this kit, but not if I can't use my winch with it.

Thanks in advance!

The comp mount is pretty tight on space, and with the Warn M8 winch the contactor is usually relocated to underneath the hood. Can the contactor/solenoid box be relocated on the Zeon 8-S?

How important is that bridge across the top?

From what I can see in pictures of that winch it appears that bridge is a structural component. Other designs have round steel bars which bridge the two sides. Lacking those round bars I don't see how the Zeon types would have any structural integrity without the bridge, and I don't see how you could mount one on the Comp Mount with that bridge in place

So, a little necropost, but any thoughts to when these will be available again? This has been a great resource, and is exactly what I want to do with my XJ.

Tankersteve

So, a little necropost, but any thoughts to when these will be available again? This has been a great resource, and is exactly what I want to do with my XJ.

Tankersteve

I didn't see a link to these or their steer box brace. ??? I do have one, but I haven't installed it yet. Sort of flipping through XJs. So, my next build gets the one I have.
I did but a Bad Dad Fab Hidden Winch Mount and bumper. I remember about $900 for both mount and bumper, plus the sector shaft option. I do have those installed. You do have to cut out the front panel, like on the BWE comp mount.
I have not put in the winch I have. I do plan on relocating the overflow tank etc. Also, the possibility of a 2nd battery, where the air filter box is located.
Also, I will be replacing the winch's steel cable with a synthetic one. No actual experience, but was informed that with a hidden winch, the steel cable might get kinked as not being able to see the winding of it. ???
I see Anak still posting on here. Hopefully, some comments from him. Also, any info if BWE is still going to make these.

Edit: Here might be another option:
http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/chxjfrin.html
I do have a Logan's Bumper, but not this one. More of the plain jane one. My intent is to use it with the BWE Comp mount. This one was//is of interest on my MJ. I don't want to cut the frame on that.

Last edited:
I don't have any special insights on this subject. That would be a question for Bryson.

This is what it currently says on the website:
Boostwerks Engineering is currently just a one man band. While I will do everything I can to get orders*shipped out as quickly as possible, I am very limited on capacity at the moment due to having to handle family matters. Because of this I've had to pause the production of a couple of my products (Mainly Comp Mounts and Steering Braces). These are by far the most labor intensive products I produce. However I do hope to have capacity back later this summer, so stay tuned! I really appreciate the business and understanding!!! Thank's again! Bryson W. Owner*

It sounds like he intends to keep making them, it is just a matter of time constraints.

I would advise emailing him and letting him know you are interested. He may have a wait list going, or be willing to start one. At any rate, it certainly wouldn't hurt to let him know there is still an interest in the product.

Ares Fab also posted a photo of one on their instagram a few years ago. I reached out, they said they just never went into production but could easily make one.

Back