• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 AC saga keeps going...

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
OK,
A little back ground. When I bought this XJ in 2005, the ac worked. During th is past spring, I noticed that it stopped working. So, I open the hood, and found a Freeze 12 logo/tag. Posted here and got more info. So I purchase a recharge kit, and it seem to work. Two week later, nothing. I assumed a leak.

So today, I took it to a radiator shop, they tested it, and said the compressor front seal leaks. The recommend replacing the compressor, dryer and check valve for $950! I told them thanks but no thanks.

My first thought, the windows still roll down, and I live in Oregon, so AC is not high priority. But I hate the idea of something not working on my Jeep. SO, need some advice...

Should I look at replacing the three items myself and recharge the system?
Then the question, do I spend the money on new stuff, or hit the wrecking yard. How do AC compressors hold up when they have not been used for awhile? Not sure what I want to do.

I was planning on driving the XJ to California for Father's Day this weekend, but, I guess I will take the GC since the temps can be in the high 90's this weekend.

So, is it worth the expense and effort? Any thougths is appreciated.

Enjoy,
Bob:roll:

I wouldn't get a used A/C compressor. Look online for prices. As far as converting to 134, some vehicles do OK others don't. My neighbor say the Jeeps don't convert well. He works for a DC dealership. The head pressure is higher for R134 than R12. I hear good and bad on the substitutes, Freeze12 etc.
If I were to go to R134 on the Jeep, and I might in the near future. I would look at the newer setup for a 2000 Cherokee. The condensor needs to be a parrallel flow, and posibly the same with the evaporator. The parralel flow condensor keep the head pressure down in the system and transfer heat better.
I am going through this with a Mercedes 240D. I spent $1800 on a new system. I still haven't recieved it yet.
Tom

I agree with Tom, sometimes you can get away with converting, I did but I have heard many people have problems with too much heat and head pressure. Mine runs slightly higer than it should pressure wise but it gets the job done. My compressor also leaks on the front seal but it is not too bad, a real slow leak. Hope this helps.

I would not convert it. I have heard alot of bad things about the conversions, plus they are to d@mn pricey. I am in the same sitiuation with a '90 xj. I am just going to convert the compressor into onboard air. Me personally, I still have the 270 A/C...2 windows down at 70 mph.

X2 on converting it to OBA....

Thanks for the input. I had this same issue many years ago with a z car. That was based on more performance with out driving the AC compressor. Sold the entire system.

I was thinking of keeping it R12, as 134 is almost as expensive. Anyone try replacing the front seal on the compressor? The factory manual shows how, but has any tried it?

Do most of high milage jeeps have working AC?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob

The 3 higher mileage ones I've had/have the A/C has not worked and I havn't paid to get it fixed

The 99 I just bought with 100K has great A/C, one of the reasons I bought it

Look on ebay at how many higher mileage vehicles, not just Jeeps, have "AC blows warm" or "AC needs a charge" (aka it needs $2000 worth of work) in the listings

There is always that $500 Geo Prism that has "ice-cold air" but for the most part I feel that AC systems tend to be a PITA in higher mileage cars

BTW I feel you on that can't stand something not working, I'm the same way but not with AC, if it works in your GC why pay a grand to get it to work in your XJ?

Last edited:
I have a 90 with a 4L and 160,000 miles. When I purchased it in March, the AC did not work. I spent about $50 converting it to the 134 and it works great.

cherokee4fun said:
OK,
A little back ground. When I bought this XJ in 2005, the ac worked. During th is past spring, I noticed that it stopped working. So, I open the hood, and found a Freeze 12 logo/tag. Posted here and got more info. So I purchase a recharge kit, and it seem to work. Two week later, nothing. I assumed a leak.

So today, I took it to a radiator shop, they tested it, and said the compressor front seal leaks. The recommend replacing the compressor, dryer and check valve for $950! I told them thanks but no thanks.

My first thought, the windows still roll down, and I live in Oregon, so AC is not high priority. But I hate the idea of something not working on my Jeep. SO, need some advice...

Should I look at replacing the three items myself and recharge the system?
Then the question, do I spend the money on new stuff, or hit the wrecking yard. How do AC compressors hold up when they have not been used for awhile? Not sure what I want to do.

I was planning on driving the XJ to California for Father's Day this weekend, but, I guess I will take the GC since the temps can be in the high 90's this weekend.

So, is it worth the expense and effort? Any thougths is appreciated.

Enjoy,
Bob:roll:

I have converted my 85 and 87 XJ's from R-12 to 134-a for the long haul. It was time to replace the compressor and hoses on the 85, so I wenthead and made the conversion. The 85 is not stock, it has a Nissan '82, SD-22 diesel engine transplant, with a somewhat customized A/C system. It is cold enough when cruising for me to keep my cool, in Houston, where it hit 96 hear today, but it will not freeze me out like some R-12 systems can, and it gets a little warm at long stops or traffic delays unless I rev the engine up to get the A/C compresor RPMs up higher. Just the neccessary evils of trying to match a diesel truck engine flywheel/engine idle speed to a custom mounted jeep A/C compressor clutch pully assembly. I still need to fix the vacuum to the damper doors valve so I can get MAX A/C, recirculation which should make a big difference. The rest of the 85 XJ A/C system is stock, in other words the RPM and damper door are my only problems, I think.

On my 87 XJ, the expansion valve clogged up just after charging it with R-134a, so it is back to a work in progress stage, and I can not report yet on how well it works with R-134a.

I would suggest adding some more freeze 12 that has leak detector dye in the can (since that is what was in it, I don't recomend Freeze 12 normally, long story for another post). Then check everywhere for leaks. Also Leaks usually leave a trace of compressor oil behind that is obvious, so look for that too, especially at the hose ends. The high pressure hose ends are usually the first to go along with the fitting orings on the threaded fittings, then the compressor seal last. I replaced the compressor on my 85 due to the front seal leaking too much. I considered buying the parts and tools to replace the compressor shaft seal, but then got wondering what I would do if the shaft was scored? So I bought a new compressor on EBay for less than $150.00. Bought my new hoses from a local custom A/C hose fab shop (local place) along with a new dryer for less than $70.

You do need a vacuum pump after you have installed everything (hoses, compressor, etc) to pull a good vacuum before you recharge the system so you might take that part of a shop (the pulling a vacuum and recharging it part). A system that is just low on refrigerant does need the vacuum pulled to add refrigerant.

If you go the compressor repair or replacement route, I would also change the dryer (anytime you open an A/C system the dryer must be replaced!), the hoses, all orings threaded fitting seals (on the hose ends), and flush the system before recharging it. Once you have flushed the system and replaced the compressor, you can pick R-12 or R-134a and use the appropriate oil for the selected refrigerant. DO NOT USE FREEZE 12 after you replace the compressor and flush the system.

I would also change the expansion valve just to be safe, it is cheap, like $25 and if it plugs up like mine just did, it is a pain to back and do it all over.

Also it is best to make up your mind which refrigerant you will use first, as it affects the hose, oring, compressor oil, and dryer selection!!!!!!:twak:

cherokee4fun said:
Thanks for the input. I had this same issue many years ago with a z car. That was based on more performance with out driving the AC compressor. Sold the entire system.

I was thinking of keeping it R12, as 134 is almost as expensive. Anyone try replacing the front seal on the compressor? The factory manual shows how, but has any tried it?

Do most of high milage jeeps have working AC?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob

I have 3 used A/C compressors now, 2 were reported to be working pulls, the third was my working but leaking pull off of the '85 last year, but I am building a third XJ that will need an A/C compressor, so I am thinking of doing a mass tear down resealing job. Just don't know if it is worth it. Maybe if I get boarded enough! If anyone tries a rebuild, or has done one before, I would like to hear the glorious details too!:eyes:

Well I got my damper door working today and actually ran my R0134a converted '85 XJ, A/C in the Max Mode and it made a huge difference. It is the damper door that coverts from outside fresh air to inside recirculate air flow. I would say now that based on my experience R-134a will run cool enough if it is installed properly, even for 93 degree humid Houston weather.

Back