• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Favorite gear?

Its hard to pick what my favorite piece of gear is but its probably one of the following:

Fenix E15 flashlight -- bright , small, and I made a clip to make it into a headlamp that works awesome

Merrell Boots -- dry, breathable, comfortable

Leatherman Mutt-- fixing stuff ,utility

K Bar Bowie -- I've done everything from build a makeshift shelter to make a grilled cheese with this knife

Mountain Hardware drifter 2 tent -- awesome single person/ cuddle with the lady tent

Penny stove-- when I can't build a fire or its just me I use it to heat up some chili or soup and it good for a little heat when it get cold.

I still need to find a good pack but its not a priority right now because I'm usually traveling with my jeep and it has plenty of space.

I still need to find a good pack but its not a priority right now because I'm usually traveling with my jeep and it has plenty of space.

Good old fashion US Army Ruck (large) with frame. Lightweight and plenty of space. The military has tried to reinvent this wheel a hundred times and they still haven't come up with anything better.

Definitely my hammock.

I can start 'setting up camp' after everyone else is done putting their tents up and still be asleep first.

And I actually wake up with my back feeling better than when I sleep on a hotel bed.

My favorites are my goretex army issue socks and goretex army issue bivvy bag. Staying dry is pretty essential to comfort.

After that, I'd have to say my headlamps are my next favorites. (My goto lamp is an old Petzl Tikka... it has been with me through 5 years in the army and now resides on my hardhat everyday at work and still works great!)

I also carry an Integral Designs Siltarp with me wherever I go. It has proven to be an invaluable shelter on many occasions. The small size and ultra light weight are key. If I had a bigger or heavier tarp, I wouldn't bring it and I could have had some very uncomfortable adventures.

After all that, I'd have to say my trailer/RTT setup. It's just nice having everything always stowed in the trailer and the bed setup in the tent so it's easy to hitch up and hit the trails in the summertime. Takes much less effort now to get outside :)

Roof Top tent (on tow rig) it's a Tepui tents gran sabana

and the Big Buddy heater with the long adapter to run full sized propane tank.

we got these for winterfest this year and camping was so comfy and warm I almost didn't want to leave the tent.

we had hard winds hail and some snow and we were very comfy and warm.

nice insulated coveralls and a good hooded coat (carhart)

My favorite to steal for a camping tool.. My buddies Tom Brown tracker knife from TOPS knives. (i want one bad)

looks like I'll have to go get a light to strap on my head. My buddies use them alot I hate talking to them when they're using them as I get blinded if they look directly at me

Some random things that I always take everywhere -

- Estwing hatchet. after breaking enough wood/fiberglass/plastic/"unbreakable whatever" handled hatchets, I'll deal with the extra 2 ounces.

- Welding gloves. Perfect for moving cans of food in and out of campfires, re-arranging burning logs, or warming up you hands by sticking them directly into the fire.

- Optimus stove. Yes it's ancient, but if I use up/forget to refill the little bottle with white gas, it will run just fine off regular gasoline. And that 5 gallon can in the trunk will last a long time.

- Military issue poncho. Very durable, very dry, and can double as a tent.

Let's get this going again. Lots of cool new products out there these days.

My favorite item these days is the Nebo Slide King Flashlight. Magnetic base, rechargeable(micro-usb), Lantern and spot light modes, heavy duty case. Other than that it would likely be a 2"foam roll for comfy in jeep sleeping.

20150725_124223_zpsr97y1myp.jpg

Personally, I am going to have to say fifth gear.

I think my XJ has racked up more miles in fifth than any other gear.

But of course you have to have fifth gear in order to enjoy it.

:angel:

5th? Yeah heck no, synchros are gone, takes about 8 seconds to double clutch and get into 5th, definitely not my favorite!

Since my last post, new favorite are

--On board air, more useful than just filling up tires. On a recent trip out, blew out front wheel bearings, and didn't have the correct odd sized allen wrench to take off the hub, was able to use a die grinder to carefully size down a larger allen wrench. Just one of many times it's been incredibly useful and kept my jeep moving.

--Welding kit. Ever since I had a frame mount breakage on my CJ5 at Big Bear Lake in CA, and thankfully one person there in the campground had welding rods, I have started carrying my own. Take a small toolbox, split apart some jumper cables to connect an electrode clamp and ground cable, plus 2 or 3 batteries in parallel. Put in a few sticks of various size and application metals like 7018, 6013, and 6011, in 3/16 and 1/8. 6011 is probably the most useful since for trail repair since it's meant for burning through paint and grease and all that, even though not as strong. Add a cheap set of goggles, gloves, and wire brush, you got a welding kit for using 12V batteries for less than $50

Last edited:
Back