• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

iPad for maps and navigation

No. It's not that. I just want something very simple. I want to be able to sit on my computer, in front of a large screen and plot out a route by dropping waypoints then hooking them together. Then I want it to plan that route via the roads between the waypoints. Then I want to transfer that to my phone with its nice big screen and big processing power. I can do it on my ten year old Garmin. Why isn't there a modern app that allows me to do the same thing?

Garmin does it like you said. You just need to eat the cost of an off-road garmin. An app designed to sell at a low price point won't have the functionality you want.

I use the RAM suction cup mount with my 7, its taken some hard hits and not come loose but I would definitely hard mount it if you're using it for racing.

What case are you using for your Nexus?

Some gumdrop bump case I found on eBay. Seems solid. Has some sweet Baja claw tread pattern!

80e6ca9822b82ce00f418c1b0a59a10a.jpg

46ab632cb1ea05d1c9ca65128af27250.jpg

No. It's not that. I just want something very simple. I want to be able to sit on my computer, in front of a large screen and plot out a route by dropping waypoints then hooking them together. Then I want it to plan that route via the roads between the waypoints. Then I want to transfer that to my phone with its nice big screen and big processing power. I can do it on my ten year old Garmin. Why isn't there a modern app that allows me to do the same thing?

Gaia is getting closer but I don't know if they'll ever include the roaded section. Their website side is slowly evolving but not at the point where I can drop my Delorme Topo software just yet (I typically plot there then import the GPX file to the Gaia Cloud website). I don't really have much desire for the roaded part of your statement but I would really like to do my entire planning on their website from my computer. 2x 1920x1080 is a lot better than doing it from my iPhone or iPad.

If you ever plan a trip like the one we took in May of 2013 where we covered well over 600 miles of dirt and fuel consumption was a major part of the over all plan, you learn the value of exact mileage real quick. A 1200 mile trip will look more like a 900 mile trip if you are using point to point navigation. When you are traveling 200 mi over dirt between fuel stops it could mean the difference between getting there and an expensive rescue.

If you ever plan a trip like the one we took in May of 2013 where we covered well over 600 miles of dirt and fuel consumption was a major part of the over all plan, you learn the value of exact mileage real quick. A 1200 mile trip will look more like a 900 mile trip if you are using point to point navigation. When you are traveling 200 mi over dirt between fuel stops it could mean the difference between getting there and an expensive rescue.

Fuel planning happens in the DeLorme stage of my planning, I can route with that. If I'm doing a trip beyond one tank in an area I'm not familiar with I'll drop fueling waypoints.

I used to use a full size laptop with DeLorme doing routing as you describe. It was handy but I didn't really use it enough to counter the extreme size.

Another huge advantage to having your route highlighted is if you are in an area with a million roads going everywhere, being able to see the road you need to be on highlighted is really nice. Especially on a smaller screen. Being able to quickly glance instead of intently stare makes a difference.

Doc, I don't think you mentioned what you use.

Doc, I don't think you mentioned what you use.

Right now I'm using a Garmin 60CSX for my main hard core navigation.

If I'm just screwing around I use Motion-X on my iphone and Gaia and backcountry navigator on an Android 7" tablet.

Id like to replace my Garmin altogether but they have to come out with some better software for the mobile stuff first. IMO everything I have tried isn't up to a decent standard yet.

After hearing the good things about Gaia here I decided to buy it and have a look. So far I like what I see. They have a large number of maps available and it is pretty easy to download them for off-line use. I've easily imported a number of tracks from last year's adventures and I like how they do their tracks - individual tracks can be turned on or off and it's easy to get to them on the map.

I've not used it out on the trail yet, but it looks like this will be my go to map app going forward.

bump from the dead, its 2016 and wondering if any of the apple apps have gotten better like the gaia or if something better has come along?

Gaia is still where it's at off pavement.

Back