• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weather

black89xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking at the weather in the forest.....

It's 100.4 here right now, at 17:30 in the Death Valley of Washington State. ;-) At Lee's Camp in TSF, its 78, the low was 51. Looks like its going to be about the same there over the next several days. :cool:

I think I'd rather be there......

That will be nice. NWfest 04 the daytime temp was bouncing at 100f. Needless to say we had alot of overheating problems.

Rain would be nice. Would keep dust down, and maybe add a little difficulty to some of the trails. It is orygun.

Why?Please explain, is TSF that easy that we need mud to add challenge?

XJourney said:
Why?Please explain, is TSF that easy that we need mud to add challenge?

Please no mud, but a quick sprinkle will help keep the dust down. It was perty bad last time, and I do beleive it rained a week or so earlier. Maybe days. Its been a while since it has rained, so the dust is probably it its worst. Nothing like a monsoon, just a sprinkle will do. :)

I was kidding about the rain while we are there.

Understood. But NWFest wouldn't be the same if you can see the rig in front of you.

XJourney said:
Understood. But NWFest wouldn't be the same if you can see the rig in front of you.

Have you been out to Tahuya, Hans? Imagine that place with a dusting of Naches thrown in. There's the level of difficulty. ;) There are a couple of trails that are harder, but for the most part it'll be trail 'runs'. Vegetation type and density is different than Naches, so there doesn't seem to be as much dust.

XJourney said:
That will be nice. NWfest 04 the daytime temp was bouncing at 100f. Needless to say we had alot of overheating problems.
Yeah, 'cause there were Cherokees there! :D

Tahuya is a pretty good match in terms of difficulty (at least of the trails that we say on the pre-run). Check out the Noobfest '06 thread for an idea of the terrain.

-----Matt-----

I have never been to Tahuya. I am glad there is not as much dust as Naches. There is a hill in Naches that freaks me out everytime I go DOWN it. It is shaped like a S-curve with what seems to be a FOOT of flour like dust. I have to throttle up in 4 low to keep it off the trees. Even then I slide the whole way down, and definitely don't touch the brakes. There is also a canopy in the brushes half way down. Anyone know what trail this is? Shoestring?

XJourney said:
I have never been to Tahuya. I am glad there is not as much dust as Naches. There is a hill in Naches that freaks me out everytime I go DOWN it. It is shaped like a S-curve with what seems to be a FOOT of flour like dust. I have to throttle up in 4 low to keep it off the trees. Even then I slide the whole way down, and definitely don't touch the brakes. There is also a canopy in the brushes half way down. Anyone know what trail this is? Shoestring?

Maybe it freakes you out because you are looking down at the canopy instead of at the trail where you are supposed to be looking:)

I am not aware of it, or it doesn't sound familiar.
Michael

2xtreme said:
Maybe it freakes you out because you are looking down at the canopy instead of at the trail where you are supposed to be looking:)

I am not aware of it, or it doesn't sound familiar.
Michael
Or maybe it is the fact that I am now going down hill in a 4000 lbs sled:twak:

I have always wanted to stop and get the canopy, but have never been able to stop.:helpme:

I am not sure what trail it is, but I always seem to be behind Howard.

JMotorsprt said:
Is there any reason to take an axe? Just packing and loading up the rack.

Jason

Only if you need one on the trip:)

I keep one permanently in my jeep, but I have only used it a few times.
Michael

I'll just load up a couple shovels. Axe only sounds like an excuse for someone to get into touble.

Update on the weather the next few days in TSF: Highs will be around 70, lows around 50. No rain in the forecast.

Ahhh, nice and cool........will be a nice break from all this heat over here.

--k

the trail sounds familiar.....but i cant place the name of it. if i was back home local, i'd ask my brother or my cousin. it just might be shoestring.

Yea I am thinking Shoestring.

Back