• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel???

there is actually only one place very close to browns camp, probably spendy though. if u are going for price u will probably need to head back into beaverton / northplains. i say whats a few cents -vs- 20 miles. just my .02

I was thinking about bringing my spare gas cans in case of emergency.

Our rigs aren't the best for Gas milage. I am averaging 15 mpg.

Jason

i usually top off at the station right b4 the turn off. i can usually wheel for a solid 2 days. i am taking a cpl 2.5 gal cans just incase. to get me back to the station afterwords.

Good point. I think I might bring a few extra cans with me. I need to use them everyonce in a while anyway, just to make sure they get used:)

Michael

I'm looking at $200+ dollars in fuel, towing. Dinosaur guzzling F*rd gets about 8 mpg, less while towing. 35 gallons for both tanks, it should be about one tank down, one back. Isnt there a Shell(?) near by? Also how far is the actuall town of Tillamook from Browns camp? Thinking about taking a tour after setting up camp and such.

IXNAYXJ said:
At some point, I will be going into town to tour the museum. I mentioned it before, and it's really worth seeing. A truly amazing collection of planes.

-----Matt-----

The Museum is in McMinnville, not Tillamook (totally oposite direction and much farther than Tillamook) . It is a very nice (small) museum. And it is where the Spruce Goose is for anyone that has not seen it, it is well worth the trip while you are down that way (as well as many other of the more obscure aircraft).

Michael

2xtreme said:
The Museum is in McMinnville, not Tillamook (totally oposite direction and much farther than Tillamook) . It is a very nice (small) museum. And it is where the Spruce Goose is for anyone that has not seen it, it is well worth the trip while you are down that way (as well as many other of the more obscure aircraft).

Michael

There's one in Tillamook, too. ;) You can see it from the cheese factory, IIRC. :D

2xtreme said:

Michael
There are TWO museums. One, the Tillamook Air Musuem (www.tillamookair.com) is kinda ratty, but everything flies and they've got some amazing stuff.

ECKSJAY said:
There's one in Tillamook, too. ;) You can see it from the cheese factory, IIRC. :D
Yup!

hp22.1.jpg

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is the one in McMinnville. I'm a charter member of that one, and yes, it's where the Spruce Goose is now. It is not small by any means! They've got a B-17, Me-109, P-38, P-40, P-51D a Spitfire and some other really important planes.

(http://www.sprucegoose.org/)

museum_sg.jpg

-----Matt-----

I appologize! You are correct, I forgot the one in Tillamook. Maybe my view on air museums is a little scewed. The one in McMinnville is small in my experience. But has a very nice selection of planes. The one in Tillamook is VERY small. There is no comparison between the two. The one in McMinnville is well worth the effort. Not sure if I would say the same for the one in Tillamook, I guess it depends on your priorities:)

Michael

2xtreme said:
The one in McMinnville is well worth the effort. Not sure if I would say the same for the one in Tillamook, I guess it depends on your priorities:)

Michael
Huh? Seeing an amazing collection of WWII combat aircraft that all fly? Some of these planes that still fly can be counted on one hand. To me that's worth the effort to see!

What are you comparing them to, size wise? Air and Space in D.C.? Pima in Tucson? Davis-Monthan? Wright-Patterson? Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection in Arlington? Yeah, the Oregon museums are smaller, but still very impressive, IMHO. I look forward to debating this around a campfire after a couple beers, Michael. I almost always agree with you/respect your opinion...but here I'm bewildered. :D

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Huh? Seeing an amazing collection of WWII combat aircraft that all fly? Some of these planes that still fly can be counted on one hand. To me that's worth the effort to see!

What are you comparing them to, size wise? Air and Space in D.C.? Pima in Tucson? Davis-Monthan? Wright-Patterson? Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection in Arlington? Yeah, the Oregon museums are smaller, but still very impressive, IMHO. I look forward to debating this around a campfire after a couple beers, Michael. I almost always agree with you/respect your opinion...but here I'm bewildered. :D

-----Matt-----

I am comparing them only to the museums I have been to. Air and Space, Pima, Wright-Patt, Hill AFB Meuseum, Space center in Cali, Boeing Field Museum. Others, I can't think of off the top of my head.

I think we probably both agree on this, it is pretty small size wize. You can barely fit around most of the aircraft in there, and many you can only see form certain angles. I also agree that it is one of the nicest I have been to, especially if you are into older stuff. I do think that the McMinnville one is Excellent (and yes, small) The Tillimook one is Very small and I guess it is just not as excitting to me. Maybe your interests are different than mine?

Now that we have discussed this I am curiouse how many aircraft each of these museums have. When I started this , I was strickly talking about acreage which probably is not the best way to discuss air museums, huh??

I would discuss anything with you, the feelings are mutual and I suspect we both have very similar interests.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I am comparing them only to the museums I have been to. Air and Space, Pima, Wright-Patt, Hill AFB Meuseum, Space center in Cali, Boeing Field Museum. Others, I can't think of off the top of my head.

I think we probably both agree on this, it is pretty small size wize. You can barely fit around most of the aircraft in there, and many you can only see form certain angles. I also agree that it is one of the nicest I have been to, especially if you are into older stuff. I do think that the McMinnville one is Excellent (and yes, small) The Tillimook one is Very small and I guess it is just not as excitting to me. Maybe your interests are different than mine?

Now that we have discussed this I am curiouse how many aircraft each of these museums have. When I started this , I was strickly talking about acreage which probably is not the best way to discuss air museums, huh??

I would discuss anything with you, the feelings are mutual and I suspect we both have very similar interests.

Michael
2xtreme said:
You realize that the Tillamook museum is in a GIANT blimp hanger? The largest wooden structure in the world, I think...?

List of aircraft:
http://www.tillamookair.com/html/air_craft_list.html

P-38, P-47, MiG-17, TWO F-4U Corsairs...cool stuff. AND THEY ALL FLY! Looking forward to the discussion! :D

Remember, I had a full scholarship to Embry Riddle.... :D

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Remember, I had a full scholarship to Embry Riddle.... :D
QUOTE]

Ahhh, Yes, but I actually graduated from there:attom:

Michael

PS. After this discussion we can fix the world;)

Back