• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backfire & hard start issue....?

DPG

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
My 2000 XJ has an issue I can't figure out.

Most of the time, it starts just fine. Other times, it takes a while to start and I have to try a few times.

Sometimes, it will backfire and blow the vacuum line off of the side of the intake manifold.

Once it starts it runs just fine. Just has this intermittent starting issue.

I have replaced the Crank and cam sensors and had it tuned and timed properly. Replaced injectors and intake has been cleaned with BG treatment.

Again, it runs perfectly once it starts.

Thanks!
Dirk

It's funny how it cranks sometimes.

It won't just keep turning over until it starts, but the starter seems to disengage and I'll have to stop and hit the key again. It's like the starter will only engage for so long before it won't turn the engine any more...

how old is your battery? been having similar issues, almost felt like timing was off when trying to start, the small backfire i think would stop the starter from continuing the cranking, long start times. today would not stay running, small backfire while trying to start without using the gas pedal. would not run without throttle, bought new battery, started perfect. will chime back in if that did not solve it completely. also one of my connections on the manifold was blown off. mine is a 99.

how old is your battery? been having similar issues, almost felt like timing was off when trying to start, the small backfire i think would stop the starter from continuing the cranking, long start times. today would not stay running, small backfire while trying to start without using the gas pedal. would not run without throttle, bought new battery, started perfect. will chime back in if that did not solve it completely. also one of my connections on the manifold was blown off. mine is a 99.

That sounds more like my issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with the battery though.

I'd be interested to hear if that does the trick...

so far so good, still have long starts, so that is a different issue. no more backfires or starter bind and starts and runs perfect every time now.

Back