• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of the Hammers! Who wants to go?!

The Hard Struggler

NAXJA Forum User
Just what the title says! Feb. 7-11 2011.

Tyler and I are looking for like minded fools to ride the 60+ hrs to and from the Atlanta / Chattanooga area to Johnson Valley, California.

If we can arrange it we will take at least my XJ, and possibly Tyler's rig as well. Need at least 4 to split diesel costs.

This will be a down and dirty cheap trip! Camping in the desert and driving in shifts, NO stopping, NO frills, Handi-wipe showers! Lots of Bourbon/beer.

If this sounds like your kind of maddness, post up!

Last edited:
It's only a couple hours out from johnson valley, but any NAXJA people want a free place to stay in Vegas on the way, my place is always open. I'm hoping to head out to the race Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Last edited:
That sounds like the type of road trip I would go for. Unfortunately, it would be a very hard sell to my then 8 month pregnant wife.

Come on honey, we are just going to drive 24 hours a day pulling heeps across the country to watch people break stuff, then turn around and come back. No we arent going to bathe. Yes, liquor will be flowing.... Please?

I'll meet you there... Plane tickets to Vegas and a 4x rental would just be too cheap. I'd be ready to kill one of you by the time I got there. lol

If we go, Betty is definitely tagging along! The struggle wagon cannot go by its lonesome, plus, if we have 4 people riding out, we need at least 4 seats in the trail rigs.

Wanna swing through Indiana and pick me up? :D

Carl and I did that last December when we went to get the Cruiser and part ways with "The Box". We didn't go all the way to Ca though I think we were just a few hours short, in Battle Mtn. Nevada. When we were planning our route the shortest route took us through Denver (I think) Colorado. TRUST ME, DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE THIS TIME OF YEAR!! We did't stop either and took shifts driving. I found myself driving a Dodge 2500 with a 30' goose, at 4am in ice/snow mountain hwys. There was a stretch about 8 miles that was down hill and the brakes were smoking like crazy. We passed a truck that had jack knifed off the road, it sucked. Coming back we took a route more north which was a little longer mile wise but since it wasn't so winding and steep (and icy) we were able to go alot faster and save fuel too. I'll post a few pics so you can see what I mean. All in all it was one of the coolest things I've ever done though. If you have a chance stop at the salt flats its worth it.

Wanna swing through Indiana and pick me up? :D

If you are serious and wanna split fuel Im sure we could work something out. Driving all the way to Indiana would be a last resort obviously, but we could possibly meet you somewhere...

Sorry if I'm clogging up yalls thread I got kinda carried away pulling these off the camera. Here are a few from our trip cross country last year in Dec.

St. Louis
IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Bonaville Salt Flats
IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

Edit: got rid of a few

Last edited:
Oh my word those were HUGE!! Sorry guys, let me know if I need to delete!!

I can put my hands on a couple of goose necks but the service body on my Ford rules out a goose, it's 30ft bumper pull or one rig on my little trailer.

Hells yeah, that would be a kick ass birthday trip! Let me see what my work schedule is and we shall see. What are we thinking for everyone's part to chip in?

4300 miles aprox from Atlanta, my Ford gets about 10 mpg, at $3.20 per gallon = $1400 in diesel 4 ways $350.

Shotgun!!!!

Back