NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > WinterFest 2010
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

WinterFest 2010 Planning and discussion for MWC WinterFest 2010. March 5-7 2010 at Badlands ORP, Attica, IN

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2010, 20:48
Official MWC Brewmeister

Re: B double E double R un request 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesslimited View Post

At this time it looks like I will bring a keg of Belgian Witbier

and tonight I brewed what is supposed to be a clone of the Sam Adams Boston Lager. It should be ready in plenty of time for WF. I may also bring partial kegs of whatever else I have left of the four I am currently drinking from.
Had a bunch of beer guzzlin' buddies over last Saturday, we killed one of my current kegs and tapped the Wit. I'll try to restrain myself, but it's pretty damn good...

I secondaried the Sam Adams clone yesterday, it was tasting good warm and flat, so it should be excellent cold and carbonated.

I also brewed a Porter using a different technique. Since I wasn't sure it would work I also added some additional fermentables, and wound up with an O.G. of .074 which could be interesting if it ferments out properly...

And I ordered and received kits for Oatmeal Stout, Scottish Wee Heavy, and RyePA, one or more of which should also be ready for WF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post

On a side note, all the grocery stores here in Asheville have fire rock, longboard and Kona's porter. I tried the fire rock, not a big fan. I like the longboard though. I've filled the Kona order
Thanks, Josh!

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing you

Old January 31st, 2010, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

NOT THE WIT!!!!! Hope ya have some more by WF...

Old February 1st, 2010, 07:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
we killed one of my current kegs and tapped the Wit.
Looking forward to this, 4 or 5 of my favorite beers are Belgian Witbiers.

Really though after weeks of wrenching and guzzling Coors Light I'll be happy with anything!
Old February 6th, 2010, 19:15
NAXJA Member

I can get KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Co.) for WF. It will be fresh too! I'll be picking it up the weekend before WF. Also can get New Glarus (Spotted Cow, etc) and Point Brewing stuff.

Don't take it personally, I'm like this to everyone.
Old February 6th, 2010, 20:01
Want to puff on my pipe?

Quote:
...I secondaried the Sam Adams clone yesterday, it was tasting good warm and flat, so it should be excellent cold and carbonated...
OH NO!
Remember what BJ Sam Adams clone did to me our first WF?

I will try to restrain myself....

Who am I kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
[RTETTY DTR I JSVR NRVER BERNN THING DRRND.
Old February 6th, 2010, 20:46
Official MWC Brewmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XJ2 View Post
I can get KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Co.) for WF. It will be fresh too! I'll be picking it up the weekend before WF. Also can get New Glarus (Spotted Cow, etc) and Point Brewing stuff.
I may need some KBC! Would that be growlers direct from the brewery, or 6-ers of cans? Love the microbrews in cans, Maui Brewing Co does that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanR View Post
OH NO!
Remember what BJ Sam Adams clone did to me our first WF?

I will try to restrain myself....

Who am I kidding
Yeah, I remember , and his SA clone is what got me back into brewing because it was way better than the crap I brewed with the Mr Beer kit.

Just try frolicking like an epilectic goat like Mcgyvr, before bed, because I know he didn't in my motorhome
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:21
NAXJA Member #120

Quote:
I may need some KBC! Would that be growlers direct from the brewery, or 6-ers of cans? Love the microbrews in cans, Maui Brewing Co does that, too.

Yeah, I remember , and his SA clone is what got me back into brewing because it was way better than the crap I brewed with the Mr Beer kit.

Just try frolicking like an epilectic goat like Mcgyvr, before bed, because I know he didn't in my motorhome
i don't remember so far at any winterfest for me...not in the motorhomes/trucks/popup campers...

must be the goat frolick...

mac 'keeping traditions' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:32
Curmudgeon

John, the KBC is usually some pretty good stuff. I'm sorta partial to the Widowmaker Black Ale. I haven't found a clinker yet.

One thing's for sure: KBC *KNOWS* their market. They've got good beer, cheap, in a college town.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:25
NAXJA Member

The KBC could be had in either cans or growlers. Although they only can their "Big 4" (Pickaxe Blonde, Redjacket Amber, Lift Bridge Brown, Widowmaker Black) but usually have much more on tap.

I would actually be able to get this fresh off the tap on Friday (the 5th) now as I have a friend coming from Houghton to Point to meet me. As far as getting growlers, I wouldn't make one pay for them if they didn't want to keep them. But it seems most places will fill a growler as long as it has the Surgeon Generals warning on it for alcohol.

Old February 8th, 2010, 21:00
Curmudgeon

The growler thing varies by state, and certainly by enforcement. Here around the Twin Cities, nobody will fill a growler from another brewer.

Old February 9th, 2010, 14:35
NAXJA Member

Ok, just saying by my personal experience.

Also for their current brews check the website

Old February 9th, 2010, 14:56
Official MWC Brewmeister

What do they get for a full growler? I like to have an assortment of growlers so when I bring homebrew somewhere I can keep track of what's what. And it looks like a couple of my Moab Brewery growlers have gone missing.

I would like to try their oatmeal stout but it doesn't look like they have that now. And if Jeff says the black ale is good, I have to try that, and maybe the IPA...

When would you need to know what to pick up?

I secondaried the experimental porter, gravity was 1.016, taste was excellent.

Planning to brew the Scottish Wee Heavy tomorrow. Last time it was very good but rather malty, so this time I'm adding more hops to balance it a little better.
Old February 9th, 2010, 17:22
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

SeanR if you can pick me up three cases of Spotted Cow that would be great. It would give me one to drink there and i to bring home as well as one for Jeffery to bring home.

Let me know if that is to much
Old February 9th, 2010, 18:18
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Planning to brew the Scottish Wee Heavy tomorrow. Last time it was very good but rather malty, so this time I'm adding more hops to balance it a little better.
Considering an OG of 1.083, 1 oz. of bittering hops, and no aroma hops, I'd expect it to be very malty. Al of the Scottish styles I've tried tended to be sweet or malty, with little hop presence.

I should think about stopping by Flat Earth Brewing on Thursday to see what they've got interesting right now. I've got 2 FE growlers, I'll save one for you, John.

Old February 10th, 2010, 09:57
NAXJA Member

I'm 95% sure that a full growler w/glass to keep is 10.00-10.50.

If three is too much for Sean I could grab one or two too.