NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > WinterFest 2010
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

WinterFest 2010 Planning and discussion for MWC WinterFest 2010. March 5-7 2010 at Badlands ORP, Attica, IN

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:44
BACON!

Re: Carnages!!

my plan was to replace them with 3/16 2x6, but i figured i could let them get beat up until i get around to it since i will be taking them out anyway,but i would be a little upset if i dropped down and screwed up my door
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:29
NAXJA #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWSTER View Post
my plan was to replace them with 3/16 2x6, but i figured i could let them get beat up until i get around to it since i will be taking them out anyway,but i would be a little upset if i dropped down and screwed up my door
Beating on your rockers affects the rest of the door opening. If you trash them, you'll have headaches later when you think it'll be easy to just replace them.
Old March 18th, 2010, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

Josh is 100% right. I have the 2x6 3/16" rockers now, but I actually came down on my old sliders so hard it pushed them up into the rusty rockers and it was so tight that my door drug on the bottom when trying to open them. Some creative work w/ a welder, u-bolts, a winch, a grinder, lots of flapper and cut off wheels and a BFH and countless hours got everything back in line so I could weld in the current set up. Way more work then I really wanted to put into it...
Old March 18th, 2010, 13:10
NAXJA Member

My Grand had the plastic covers over the rocker panels, and after the last time out they still looked fine. I pulled them off anyway and the metal rocker underneath is pretty banged up. Pinch seam is still in decent shape though.

I need to take care of it before it gets worse. Sounds like replacing the rocker altogether is much preferred to bolting a slider underneath it?
Old March 18th, 2010, 13:19
NAXJA Forum User

I guess I should anticipate some work since my rockers are trashed.
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
Beating on your rockers affects the rest of the door opening. If you trash them, you'll have headaches later when you think it'll be easy to just replace them.
Yeah thats why i got my sliders on before WF, My rockers are perfect so I wanted to keep them that way.
[/QUOTE]
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlowGetStuck View Post
My Grand had the plastic covers over the rocker panels, and after the last time out they still looked fine. I pulled them off anyway and the metal rocker underneath is pretty banged up. Pinch seam is still in decent shape though.

I need to take care of it before it gets worse. Sounds like replacing the rocker altogether is much preferred to bolting a slider underneath it?
if they've already been dented you'll never get a prefabbed slider to fit right, not without a crap ton of work anyway.

Besides, why lose the clearance? Just cut them out. It's not like your ZJ is in perfect shape.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:26
Want to puff on my pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
...a crap ton...
Just what is "a crap ton"?

http:/http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crapton/
I see, it all makes scene now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
[RTETTY DTR I JSVR NRVER BERNN THING DRRND.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
if they've already been dented you'll never get a prefabbed slider to fit right, not without a crap ton of work anyway.

Besides, why lose the clearance? Just cut them out. It's not like your ZJ is in perfect shape.
Yep, that's what's going to happen. Just have to harass the right person with fab skillz who can hook me up. Because I sure can't do it myself.