• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 VS. D44 housing strength

marcusguy

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching all over and have found tons of info concerning these two axles, but I haven't found anything about the housings.

I know the 8.25 has 3" tubes and the XJ D44 has 2.75, which makes the 8.25 look like it has a beefier and stronger housing. How do they stack up though? I'm assuming the D44 has .25 wall tubes (is that right?), what about the 8.25? Is one constructed sturdier than the other?

I picked up XJ D44 this weekend for super cheap and I'm trying to decide if I want to use it and sell my 8.25 to a friend cheap, or sell the D44 to my friend. I won't use more than 32-33" tires, so I'm not extremely concerned with the internal strength, though it's nice to have more locker choices (mmmm... electrac). I mostly prerun in the desert, so the housing strength is more important to me than most jeepers.

Thanks guys,

Marcus

They are most likely close to same in strength. ARB redesigned their locker for the 8.25. I thought it received timed spiders and air supply to case without drilling one of the caps.
The most dislikes about the 8.25 is noise and vibes. Also less clearance due to the reaforcement lip on the bottom of the housing.
I think most will write in saying its just a matter of personal preference. Hopefully someone will write to give you some better direction.
Rensing

Keep the D44, hands down. The 8.25 is limited to 4.56 and noise and vibe probelms as mentioned. The only true competitor to a D44 would be an 8.8. The D44 has many more locker options and the shafts are stronger and no c-clips. Larger drum brakes too.

The 8.25" 29-spline is a good axle if you have one or get one for free. But many would say it's limited to 35" tires, beacuse of the c-clips and 4.56 gearing.

This is my situation:

I have a 29 spline 8.25 with a no-slip in it. It has 3.55 gears. I am running 32" tires and will stay with that size for years to come.

I now have a D44 with 3.55s. It is open and has a lot of miles.

I'm regearing my jeep soon, and what I'm trying to decide is whether I should regear the 8.25 or the D44. If I keep the D44 then I would have to sell the no-slip, and the axle would be going to a friend. If I keep the 8.25 I'd sell the 44 to the friend (he has a 35).

I'm doing some thinking as I type this and it seems the either way, I'm going to be geting new seals and bearings (since I am changing gears), so the only decision is if I want the hassle of selling the year-old no slip and buying a locker for the 44. From that point of view, I'm thinking more about keeping the 44.

Any more ideas?

The housing strength is still very important to me. When it serves as a prerunner, it takes the abuse that rock crawlers axles, u-joints, and diffs take. If the 8.25 housing offers strength over the D44, i'd keep it.

Thanks,

marcus

Some points to consider

D44 gears are $100 cheaper than C8.25 gears (tho harder to set up)

Locker selection/availability & price goes to the 44 (and availability of a real spool) I'd expect bearings & seals to be about the same, but the 44 again might be cheaper?

Shaft strength is pretty equal 29s C8.25 to 30s D44. The 8.25 is a c-clip axle, and the 44 is semi-floating.

As far as housing strength...if I 'planned' on airing out either...I'd want to do some trussing. OTOH I beat the tar out of a 27sp 8.25 with 33s (sometimes with just 2WD Low) and it never flinched.

The only reason to get rid of the 8.25 in your situation would be to get deeper gears, otherwise save yourself the trouble and keep the 8.25. I wouldn't even consider the wall thickness of the tubes when comparing the two. The 8.25 housing is very beefy. The question is are you going to need a deeper gear than 4.56?

Consisder this, even though you can get 4.88 for your front D30, as long as it is a HP D30. There is a strength concern when going deeper than 4.56. So 4.56 maybe exactly what you need for now.

Chuck-

I'm regearing/rebuilding the 8.25 anyways, and the D44 is in the backyard. I will be going to 4.56, both axles are 3.55. So it really wouldn't be any less trouble to leave the 8.25 on because if I do leave it on, it's getting new gears and bearings just like the 44 would. Basically I have to pick which one I'm going to put gears on, and I'm kinda of leaning toward the 44 (I haven't found any reasons not to... If the 8.25 already had the gears in it, I wouldn't swap it for the almost insignificant extra strength). Does that make since to anyone or am I just trying to talk myself into something

There is no carrier break with the 8.25 axle, so you would be able to re-use that locker if you keep the Mopar axle. As much as I favor the Dana 44, I think in your situation I'd stay with the 8.25 and keep the D44 in the yard as a backup.

Same questions

I too bought a 44 to replace my 29 spline 8.25 on my '99. After going through the same debate you did I decided I would keep the 8.25 for my use and put a No Slip in it, then sell my 44 to some one who could really use it to replace a D35 or 27 spline 8.25. I mostly run trails and am not focused on extreme Rock crawling so running 32's it works for me.

To clear up some confusion, the axle shafts in the 29-spline Corp. 8.25 (1.21) are closer in size to the D35C (1.17) than they are to the D44 (1.31). The 27-spline shafts are even smaller than the D35C.

Tom

To be honest, part of the problem is that I was dreaming of selectable lockers. Mostly because I get nervous when friends and family drive my car. Most of the roads where I live are canyons. Lifting or hitting the throttle in the middle of a 45 mph canyon with an automatic locker can be a little unsettling, especially on wet roads. In the next year, I will be gone a lot and some family members will have my car during that time, and so I've decided to either get a selectable locker in the 44 and sell the No-slip, or leave the 8.25 in but pull the locker out until I get back for good. My brother looses control of cars faster than a moviestars get divorces, and I don't trust him with my jeep if there is an auto locker in it. So that's kinda what's going through my head.

Marcus

Eagle said:
There is no carrier break with the 8.25 axle, so you would be able to re-use that locker if you keep the Mopar axle. As much as I favor the Dana 44, I think in your situation I'd stay with the 8.25 and keep the D44 in the yard as a backup.

Does this mean that all/any gear ratio ring gear could fit the same carrier? :)

marcusguy said:
To be honest, part of the problem is that I was dreaming of selectable lockers. Mostly because I get nervous when friends and family drive my car. Most of the roads where I live are canyons. Lifting or hitting the throttle in the middle of a 45 mph canyon with an automatic locker can be a little unsettling, especially on wet roads. In the next year, I will be gone a lot and some family members will have my car during that time, and so I've decided to either get a selectable locker in the 44 and sell the No-slip, or leave the 8.25 in but pull the locker out until I get back for good. My brother looses control of cars faster than a moviestars get divorces, and I don't trust him with my jeep if there is an auto locker in it. So that's kinda what's going through my head.

Marcus

Cool, either way it's a tough decission, just make sure you hide the switch or lever to that mannual locker or your relatives will really go for a ride, :eek:

Back