• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Decided to add some storage capacity to my OBA: My current OBA is ARB twin compressors feeding a manifold with three outs; two solenoids for the lockers and one for a Hose QD.

I turned this bran new never used...

dWo7nA4.jpg

...into this within 15 minutes of unboxing. No I didn't buy the extended warranty. lol I only wanted the tank. The compressor is going in the trash unless someone wants it.

ZRfnn8K.jpg

Left out all the lengthy fab steps but basically I cut everything off the tank except the original drain bung. Couldn't find a suitable location under the Jeep although I entertained a location above the rear diff near the charcoal canister. Decided to go into the spare tire location. I'm not ready to hack the interior plastics up yet so I decided to use existing mounting points. Mounted in rock solid. I could literally sit on it and it won't move. Then pressure tested and fixed the pin hole leaks. That tank is very thin. Once all the hot work and grinding was done I shot it with some paint my neighbor gave me when he moved away. Almost matches the body color.

Then hopped on the bike to pick up the brass and tubing. Oh man that DOT brass is not cheap. Cried once and now I'm over it. lol In comparison, setting it up for the jic fittings and lines like ARB would have it would have cost waaaaay more. Found a rubber grommet with a suitable size hole for the bulkhead. Just had to drill out some large washers for both sides of the hole. Used the original grommet for a seal. Worked great.

Once all plumbed in, I leak tested the brass, yeah no leaks but one problem. The cheap HF compressor is good for 100 PSI. ARB is 150 PSI. The safety relief valve from HF is 110 PSI. Therefor my new addition kept randomly farting until I zip tied it closed. Will need to get one rated higher.

I do not plan to run air tools but have a couple of air assisted accessories for future use. The air tank does help with airing back up but it's not the cats meow and I didn't expect it to with only being 3 gallons but it will be useful for other stuff. Enjoy the pics.....

tSuBEpZ.jpg

R0XscqR.jpg

qeTLAFo.jpg

kX6tPlc.jpg

824ERI8.jpg

Engage prerunner mode. Moving on to rear suspension rebuild.

Items replaced up front
-All control arm bushings
-track bar
-steering damper
-coil springs
-shocks
-bump stops
-oil filter adapter orings
-distributor gasket
-oil pressure sensor
-radiator overflow hose
-harmonic balancer
-cam chain cover crank seal
-serpentine belt
-thermostat
-swaybar bushings

fff414be9b2ed6edd2b3e13c734cfdaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Put a new fuel filter and passenger power window motor in the green 1996 stock daily driver.

Much better. Still waiting on tires. Replaced out back

-leaf springs
-bushings
-bump stops
-shocks
-deleted swaybar

03474315836167e430cdccf58c585b82.jpg

8d1f86618b65acd9a0542b1cdb21fe92.jpg

Also replaced my busted drivers seat with a rugged ridge one. Still on the fence about how I feel about. I thought the color would be closer to tan based on online photos but oh well.

5936b1647f88749c9cbdd341117991f7.jpg

Rebuilt the rear brakes this morning, everything but the backing plate, and had Nubs tires put my new tires on.

Leak still wasnt fixed so I pulled the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal this afternoon. I was losing about a quart of oil every 100 miles.

The seal was rock hard and the seal lips broke apart in my hands by just squeezing them. Hopefully this will fix the majority of my oil leak issue. It's looking like I may need to pull the timing chain cover off if I cant get it to stop leaking as well.

b02012255c0cd92ef64e560f6aebe1c1.jpg

Did a drain and fill on the AW4. Pulled the front brakes apart because the front passenger side was sticking badly. Replaced plugs, wires and cap/rotor, put an OEM oil pressure sensor in, and moved the HAM radio from my Mazda to the Jeep.

75366ce3da4f7c1831ee2c2431e2a6a6.jpg

Pulled most of the accessories and the harmonic balancer off the Jeep and replaced the timing cover gasket like I should have done when I pulled it apart to replace the timing cover seal lol.

That should be the last leak on the Jeep. When I pulled the cover off half the old gasket was just gone completely MIA.

Rebuilt the rear brakes this morning, everything but the backing plate, and had Nubs tires put my new tires on.

Leak still wasnt fixed so I pulled the oil pan and replaced the rear main seal this afternoon. I was losing about a quart of oil every 100 miles.

The seal was rock hard and the seal lips broke apart in my hands by just squeezing them. Hopefully this will fix the majority of my oil leak issue. It's looking like I may need to pull the timing chain cover off if I cant get it to stop leaking as well.

b02012255c0cd92ef64e560f6aebe1c1.jpg

Pull the balancer screw a sheet self taper into the seal and use a cats paw pull the seal. Unless you want to pull the cover, have you done the O-rings on the oil filter adapter?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Pulled the front end down for a full front brake over haul. Went ahead and pulled the front diff for a NoSlip install.

Was going to replace be axleshaft ujoints but they feel really good so I'm going to leave them for now.

Everything is prepped for install/replacement tomorrow.

d14688df50e558a823ecca27ea6e0ad8.jpg

eff72fe32690056f4c5cbf52efa26063.jpg

30192802b414eaae2d5f4def327901f1.jpg

44d633a27926fad2b47d373b118d7ce7.jpg

PSSSSS, OOPS!

Since it was sunny today, I got to replace part of my DOT air line with copper. All was well until the Jeep sat idling with 150 PSI on the air line 3" from one of the pre cats. :gee:
6fDSJoU.jpg

Changed my oil and my brake rotors, pads and shoes and installed some RE extended front brake lines.

Right after I finished that, my ignition cylinder decided to crap out so I replaced it and also my starter since it had been acting up the last few months.
(I'd upload pics but it's not letting me upgrade taptalk to pro)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Realized I've got a super aggressive oil leak that I'm not looking forward to tracking down and fixing...My first guess is the oil filter adapter finally let go, but fixing that in at apartment parking won't be fun no matter what it is.

Back