• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ Temperature Gauge/Sending Unit Question

Victleo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, long time lurker first time poster. I was wondering if I could get some help. I have an 01 XJ 4.0 Sport. The temperature gauge stopped working. I ran the key test and saw the gauge go thru it's cycles, so the gauge cluster itself looks to be fine. However, I am trying to figure out where the temperature sending unit is, and that is where my confusion lies. I apologize as I am not that mechanically inclined, but I am confused as to determining if my engine has 1 sending unit or two. I know where the coolant sensor is attached to the top of the water pump and from what I read I should also have a temperature sending unit at the back of the engine as well. My best attempts at google make it sound like I should have two, but I don't really see anything that looks like the sending unit on the driver side rear top of the engine. So I am just looking for confirmation on how many temperature units should be on an 01 4.0, and if I am just plain missing it.

Best Regards,
Victleo

Your 2001 XJ has one coolant sensor, located at the front of the engine, in the thermostat housing.
Older XJs have a second sensor, located at the rear of the head (0630 heads).

Back