• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Marker lights, turn signals, DOT H4

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am hoping to permanently import my European spec XJ this year. I need to do a little work to make it comply with Federal regulations and I would rather do all the work myself but I need to plan how I am going to make the circuit changes. Ideally, I want to have a switch under the hood for USA/European lighting modes.

The main change I need to make is fitting DOT H4 lamps in place of my E codes. I also need to make sure that my turn signals and marker lights behave exactly as the US models. My front marker lights are currently small filament bulbs inside the headlamps. The amber colored lamp under my headlamp is just a turn signal.

I need the following:-

1. A video clip showing the front of an XJ with the marker lights on and a turn signal (left or right) activated.

2. A video clip showing the front of an XJ with the marker lights on and the four way flashers activated

3. A source of supply for DOT approved H4 headlamps.

I am assuming I can leave the rear lamps as they are and just remove the fuse for the rear foglamps to stop them working.

Grateful for any help,
-Vince-

I got my IPF H4's from quadratec. You can use your rear fogs, just make sure they work on both sides or you might get pulled over and get a "fixit" ticket. I do no know how much the euro front end differs from the US, but as long as they work properly, I do not think it matters.

I've done it the other direction from DOT to Euro. What year XJ do you have? If it's pre 97 I can likely ship you some of the stuff. I even likely have a set of sealed beams you can have, just to get you through inspection.
From what I understand emissions can be a major hurdle, even if your system is in top shape the inspection station still wants it's pound of flesh. Kind of a luck type thing, but be prepared for the worst ($500 bills aren't unheard off, they kind of have you by the knuts). I've heard shipping to S.C. is a bad idea.
On many of the Renix exports, the front harness was modified and all you really have to do is match the wires back up, the rear harness is different.
There really isn't enough changes to warrant having a switch to change it over from Euro to DOT IMO.
Wire in the the vertical markers, dual filament bulb for the turn signal/running lights.
It's tight behind the headlight buckets, the major problem may just be mechanical, enough room (for your hands and tools) to make the changes in the wiring.
Many of the shippers will do the change over for you for around 350-500 EURO, plus the shipping. They likely have an arrangement with the inspection station , the price may be the same if you do the work yourself or they do it.

I got my IPF H4's from quadratec. You can use your rear fogs, just make sure they work on both sides or you might get pulled over and get a "fixit" ticket.
Thanks. My Jeep is still in Utah so buying from Quadratec will be easy. I will keep both rear fog lights operational as advised.

From what I understand emissions can be a major hurdle, even if your system is in top shape the inspection station still wants it's pound of flesh. Kind of a luck type thing, but be prepared for the worst ($500 bills aren't unheard off, they kind of have you by the knuts).
I need a letter of conformity from Jeep to say that the EU spec 4.0L has the same or better emissions than the Federal spec 4.0L for the same model year. There is a chance that I may have to buy a new catalytic converter and oxygen sensors as part of the regulations.

There really isn't enough changes to warrant having a switch to change it over from Euro to DOT IMO.
Wire in the the vertical markers, dual filament bulb for the turn signal/running lights.
It's tight behind the headlight buckets, the major problem may just be mechanical, enough room (for your hands and tools) to make the changes in the wiring.
If I am unsuccessful at achieving permanent import status the Jeep will either have to be shipped back to Europe or destroyed. I am intending to upgrade the headlamp wiring loom anyway. By making the lighting circuit dual mode, I am insuring myself against the likelihood of failing the import tests and saving a lot of correctional work if it has to go back to the England.

Many of the shippers will do the change over for you for around 350-500 EURO, plus the shipping. They likely have an arrangement with the inspection station , the price may be the same if you do the work yourself or they do it.
It's easy going from the USA to the EU but in the other direction it's a lot tougher. My Jeep was made in America, but because it is an export model it is treated as a foreign vehicle by EPA and DOT.

I really need to know the illumination behaviour of the front marker lights and turn signals. The European models have these as separate lights but I need to know the exact flashing behaviour of these lights on American models in order to design the replacement circuit. I am assuming that the front 'amber' marker light beneath the headlamp takes a dual filament bulb, the European XJ has a single filament bulb as it is only a turn signal.

It's been so long since I've messed with a US model I honestly can't remember.
The easy one is the front parking/blinker. A dual filament bulb, the low watt half the marker, the high watt half the blinker. Just take your parking light wire from the headlight housing and use it for the low watt side of the front parking light (in the blinker housing). You'll likely need a new dual filament type socket. Maybe, but as I've said some models have the OEM stuff in there just not used (or hooked up).
The vertical side markers are another thing, in the Euro models they are a reflector and not lighted, most don't even have the socket opening cut out in the back.
Check the recalls for your vehicle, you may have a free CAT coming anyway. It might be worth a trip to the dealership, get the recalls done and have a valid smog test printout to show.
You can always post a bond and keep your Jeep with an exception, I did this once through the AAA many years ago. I haven't done it recently, but at one time you could post a bond and drive on your Euro plates. You couldn't sell it and had to have proof of destruction to get your bond back.
There is nothing in the rules that says you can't cut another hole in the blinker housing and add another socket and bulb. I've done it on Chevies.
I also hooked a diode into the rear fog light circuit and used it as dual brake lights. I can switch on the fogs or the brake lights up all four, same bulb wattage. But it's best to keep it simple for the inspection station, once your through that, nobody much cares anymore.
I've heard of the letter of conformity before, but in all honesty have never heard of anybody actually obtaining one.
If you have any contacts in the State Department, they may have more info.
Rumor has it, right hand drive, is tough (impossible) to bring into compliance.
If documentation is the only problem and not a physical inspection, forgery is always an option. :)
What I can't figure out is how you bypassed the port and port inspection. Did you ship in a container?

If it needs to be exactly the same for that year, we need to know what year you have, since the flashers and behavior changed a couple of times.

If it just needs to be like other US cars, buy the lights and wires at a junkyard and wire it up

Rumor has it, right hand drive, is tough (impossible) to bring into compliance.
The NHTSA have a letter of conformity stating that RHD XJs of 93, 94, 95 and 96 model years are similar to Federal spec and can be considered DOT compliant and for gasoline models EPA compliant. Nobody has petitioned for 97-2001 model years yet. However, I have VIN numbers of late model RHD Cherokees used only in the USA. These were made and sold as Federal spec vehicles for rural postal workers. So they are going to have a hard time proving a Right Hand drive is not the same when hundreds of them are already in use in the USA for more than eight years.

What I can't figure out is how you bypassed the port and port inspection. Did you ship in a container?
I didn't. I have my bonafide paperwork from Customs & Border Protection and inspection certificate from the EPA and DOT. It's only valid for 12 months from date of issue granted under the terms of law for visting vehicles from foreign countries. If I cannot get my Jeep permanently imported it has to leave the country in April or be destroyed.

If it needs to be exactly the same for that year, we need to know what year you have, since the flashers and behavior changed a couple of times.

If it just needs to be like other US cars, buy the lights and wires at a junkyard and wire it up
It's a 2001 from the last batch shipped to England. DrMoab has volunteered to go looking for parts for me. I will need a pair of front marker light housings with bulb holders and a pair of vertical turn signals with bulb holders. I will buy new IPF H4s from Quadratec and rewire the lot using new cable.

I need to retain the ability to revert back to European lighting regulations in case my Jeep fails the permanent import inspection for another reason and has to be shipped back to England. Custom wiring is unavoidable but no big deal for me.

come to canada dude!!!we let any kind of xj in our country!!!!(in quebec anyway) no smog check in quebec my friend!!

Back