• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Timber

High2by

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, I probably should start a build thread on my new MJ. Well obviously not “new” but new to me. It’s an ‘89 Pioneer 2wd. It has a 4.0/AW4 with an 8.8 rear axle with 4.10 gears. It has a little pep off the line but it does run some r’s around 70. I posted a couple pictures already but to keep everything together, here they are again.

Starting point:
e7c1a021bc977069888be62bc31e1c2d.jpg

I’ve been making small modifications to it ever since I got it. The first thing I did was to swap the ranger wheels for some Jeep Ravines. I’m running 295/50/15’s on the rear and 255/60/15’s on the front. The rear has 1-1/2” spacers and the front has 1/4” spacers. With the two piece knuckle and hub assembly I needed the 1/4” to make the wheel fit the hub without grinding anything down. Once I get a late model front beam I can do away with those.
0e989c38ea12f6f10905137466f0ce58.jpg

4c18fbcd1fbd340851862de4c47bfed4.jpg

I put in the Hella E-code headlight housings with a set of Osram night breaker H4 bulbs. I also added a new headlight harness with relays and man the headlights are light years ahead of stock. I am super impressed.
b14be390cedb060ceba13f05fb16d906.jpg

Since my truck is a column shift and I wanted a full gauge cluster, I was out of luck as far as finding a factory cluster, so I made one. I took the old idiot light cluster that came in the truck and took the gear selector out of it and then took a full cluster from a Cherokee and cut a hole in the tach gauge so the selector could be seen. It works great and looks pretty good. I got the idea on Comanche Club.
44d29b5bee083e035e4f1017d7057692.jpg

All the gauges but fuel work and I think it may be the sending unit. Still have to figure that out but with a working trip meter, I know when to fill up. It’s getting about 18.5 MPG. Not the best but with the gearing it’s good enough for now.

I got a set of B-pillar lights and got them installed along with new door jamb switches. Now when you open the doors, yep, I have light. I replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs and I must say I like them.
1a539ffc0e834305c35c3452283b51a8.jpg

One more thing I did was to replace the heater hoses because the ones on it were cruddy looking from the PO swapping to a closed cooling system.
caaac98b5605639cc56f5667918b6aa8.jpg

I’m collecting parts for my next work day and if it stops raining long enough, I’ll get some more stuff done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ohhh, a new build thread!

I forgot. I also put in a new valve cover gasket and 1/2 of the vacuum harness on the front on the manifold. I bought the better gasket instead of the old cork ones, they seem to always leak.

4f1acdb576fef5fb798f3a633bac92bf.jpg

Looking good!

mmm... I'm jealous. I should have never sold the comanches I've had.
I bet the 4.10's make that thing launch pretty good. Does is have a limited slip?

It does have the LS diff in it. I need more power to break the tires loose....they are too wide for the old 4.0 I think.

Why the name "Timber"?

And here I sit in my Hemi Commander getting 12.2 mpg and listening to you bemoan 18.5!
I may drink up the petrol, but I do it with heated seats.

Really though Mark, good job on the MJ so far. Looking forward to watching this one.

And here I sit in my Hemi Commander getting 12.2 mpg and listening to you bemoan 18.5!
I may drink up the petrol, but I do it with heated seats.

Really though Mark, good job on the MJ so far. Looking forward to watching this one.

My diesel jetta has heated seats and gets 53 mpg:gee:
Also has 290 ft lbs because turbo diesel, lol...
Now I just need to put that motor in my xj....

This morning I put a new lower radiator hose on and a new thermostat in it. The lower hose blew out the first of the week because I think the thermal stuck closed. The old thermostat had two holes drilled it. I guess to get the air out of the system.

a3f94d27213465b50a0ec207367e6ffd.jpg

I bought a Mopar OEM thermostat to go back in it. It had the bleed hole already drilled in it but it had a “thingy” in it so it wasn’t an open hole all the time.

d610c4c09bd8b3d476e6b71faf61e516.jpg

I’m still working on a few things and I’ll post up when I get some of them done.

Are the E-code housings glass? What did it cost to do the headlight upgrade? I'm guessing these items are from Amazon?

Are the E-code housings glass? What did it cost to do the headlight upgrade? I'm guessing these items are from Amazon?

Yes, they are glass, let’s them handle a higher wattage bulb without issues. First thing I got was a wiring harness, $20.00 from EBay. The housings I got from..... I’ll have to check cause I can’t remember but it wasn’t EBay. They came with a set of H4 bulbs and were right at $100.00 shipped. Pricey, maybe but I don’t have to worry about seeing at night. These are the best lights I’ve had on any Jeep I’ve owned.

Do you have the part numbers by chance?

Let me see if I can fine them. Do you have a harness?

I got some new parts for the truck. I hope to be able to get some of them put in this weekend.

a8003ffe74d4eaf06fcde24c48fa2dcf.jpg

I’m also gonna try and get my new radio in but it’s all for nothing right now. My alternator took a dive on me so it’s sitting till the new one comes in which will hopefully be tomorrow or Monday.

Such is driving a 30 year old vehicle I guess.

I take on way too many projects at the same time. My manche needs so much attention and I just bought another one....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I take on way too many projects at the same time. My manche needs so much attention and I just bought another one....

Does the MJ run?

I generally drive it every day, yes sir. I've been fixing small stuf fon it, but it really needs my undivided attention to reach it's full potential.

Back