• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Relocation: How far forward is too far?

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of relocating my rear shackles based on XJ Ranger's Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934581

With that being said I am boxing the mount up as far as possible and considering different shackles. Is there a breaking point where too far of a forward mount is bad? Leading to unloading, unstability, etc. My current RE Boomerang shackles are 6" eye-eye and the shackle angle plainly put sucks. So here's some quick trig:

shackle.jpg

As you can see I'm consindering Stock XJ/MJ shackles or just keeping my RE's. Which shackles would you recommend? Obviously the longer shackle will afford more droop. Is my thinking remotely accurate... and yes I've read the shackle angle threads just never seen one stating how far is too far, etc...

-Chris

look on pirate and see if you can find a thread about that orange exo'd xj.
in it he talks about his shackle relocation, I wanna take a guess and say it was a 12 inch shackle.... something ridiculous. anyways, he was only using a 4.5 in leaf pack from rustys and he got incredibly good flex out of the whole thing.

Remember that for every 1" of verticle movement you only get 1/2" of lift, hence why a 1" lift shackle is 2" longer than stock.

The more I see this stuff.. the more I want to go with sliders...

I just caught where I used the word "unstability"... funny stuff.. I meant instability.. Sliders dont seem to be the answer to me. They would need to be extremely long and would require rebuilding way to offten for my taste.

something like this..

slider.jpg

To me they would bind when twisting up... be a PITA to set up w/ a long enough slot... require frequent rebuilding... They would be better at improving approach/departure angles.. but I dont think it's that big of a deal w/ the majority of XJ's

may be wrong though..

I'd say based off all that, I'd set up to run the 6" shackle. It will be long enough to get you some good travel, and not too overly long.

I wouldn't sweat the driveline too much, remember when one side is drooping the other is usually stuffing, unless you're playing airplane.

WheelinJR said:
I'd say based off all that, I'd set up to run the 6" shackle. It will be long enough to get you some good travel, and not too overly long.

I wouldn't sweat the driveline too much, remember when one side is drooping the other is usually stuffing, unless you're playing airplane.

I like playing airplane...

Mosephus said:
What Springs do you currently have?

RE 3.5" Leaf pack.

Initially I'm going to try to make my 6" shackles work... IF they're just too long then I have a pair of MJ shackles to try.

BTW.. do you have anymore rear shots of Jes' rear bumper... Closer to summer I'm going to attempt something similar on the XJ.. any idea if his hatch is still usable?

uncc civilengineer said:
BTW.. do you have anymore rear shots of Jes' rear bumper... Closer to summer I'm going to attempt something similar on the XJ.. any idea if his hatch is still usable?

What do you want to see? There is no hitch, just a shackle tab.

there isnt that much science to it...

getting the shackle to be approx 45* is great..

I used MJ shackles, 'cuse that is what I had...

as for driveline, it did point my pinion up higher, and because my rig lives on a trailer, and doesnt pull any higher than 4th gear (approx 60mph) at all - i havent bothered to cut off the perches and reallign the pinion -

something to think about - with the re3.5's - i wouldnt want to add any lift with the shackle and plan on taking it out by removing a leaf - there arent enough leaves in the pack to do that - so plan accordingly...

XJ_ranger said:
there isnt that much science to it...

getting the shackle to be approx 45* is great..

I used MJ shackles, 'cuse that is what I had...

as for driveline, it did point my pinion up higher, and because my rig lives on a trailer, and doesnt pull any higher than 4th gear (approx 60mph) at all - i havent bothered to cut off the perches and reallign the pinion -

something to think about - with the re3.5's - i wouldnt want to add any lift with the shackle and plan on taking it out by removing a leaf - there arent enough leaves in the pack to do that - so plan accordingly...

that thought didnt even cross my mind... I do want a little more lift (1/2" or so I wouldnt mind)... But yeah the RE leafpack would get destroyed if I pulled a leaf out... :shocked:

I'm more concerned w/ will there be any adverse effects "IF" the shackle is moved a little further forward compared to what you or Jes did.. I'm just picturing this setup turning into a Teraflex revolver type deal all of a sudden...

how bout this -

I know mine works.

I used an MJ shackle...

HTH :roflmao:

uncc civilengineer said:
that thought didnt even cross my mind... I do want a little more lift (1/2" or so I wouldnt mind)... But yeah the RE leafpack would get destroyed if I pulled a leaf out... :shocked:

I'm more concerned w/ will there be any adverse effects "IF" the shackle is moved a little further forward compared to what you or Jes did.. I'm just picturing this setup turning into a Teraflex revolver type deal all of a sudden...

I don't think you're anywhere near a revolver type of deal with a 6" shackle. Why don't you put mount points at both 3" and 4.5" forward? That way you can try both and see which works best. Shouldn't be too hard to design.

WheelinJR said:
I don't think you're anywhere near a revolver type of deal with a 6" shackle. Why don't you put mount points at both 3" and 4.5" forward? That way you can try both and see which works best. Shouldn't be too hard to design.

I will do that... or atleast leave enough material to be able to drill another hole if necessary.

This is how far forward I moved mine. I am using a bastard pack with about 3" of lift. I used a 1.5" lift rc shackle. I tried a 2" lift shackle, and it wouldn't allow the pack to flatten out enough. I tried a stock shackle, and it would actually pivot all the way back and pop backwards and stay there (way too short). This setup works very well for me and flexes/rides well, but I think I would have gained more if I went further forward and used a longer shackle. Sorry it looks rusty and crappy, I got the genius idea of trying it out before I painted it, which means it never got painted.

This is a cheesy pic of me screwing around in my "soon to be yard" flexed out.
6-9-07004.jpg

This is stuffed...
3-12-07065.jpg

Last edited:
I did the this in order to run a longer spring, but the concept is the same. I am using f-150 shackles, they are about the same as an MJ. This has worked great, they have more travel than stock, but don't hang down toooo far. They do become "sliders" every so often, but I have had no issues.
Originally I was going to drill several mounting holes for adjustment, but it never happened for some reason. You can see in the pic where this would be an easy solution to your "problem".... just make it adjustable.
This is at ride height, it has settled some since this pic, and the angle is real close to 45*. Also, 2x3, 3/16"wall rectangular tubing is the perfect width.
DSCF1776.jpg

Back