• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest Tire size

Jeepxj1996

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 sport xj stock and I wanted to know what is the biggest tire size I can fit under it. I am looking to buy 235/75R15 All-Terrains. Do you think they will fit.

Thanks for the help.
Carl

I am currently running Pirielli Scorpion 235/75R15 at stock height and have had no rubbing at all.

BrianC

Thank you BrianC! The 235 size is more popular and more tires to chose from than the 225's. I will plain on running them. Did the taller tire effect your gas mileage at all?

I also run that size and my suspension is shot. I have what my friends call a negative 2 inch lift. They run slightly at full tilt on the control arms.

All tires due not measure the same. It varies among tire manufacturer. One mfr may have a "large" 235 and another may have a "small" 235.

It also depends on what kind of shape the suspension is in.

You can run 30x9.5r15 tires on a stock XJ only in a AT tread pattern. I ran a set for a few months until I lifted it way back in the day. The only problem I ran into is the tires run the lower control arms at full lock. No big deal. just takes an extra turn to do a 3 er 4 point turn. Juice

I haven't really noticed a drop in gas milage, but I don't drive it all that much. I do feel that my braking has suffered. I hope to upgrade the brakes in the not so distant future.

235 = perfect fit

I run 235's right now on my 96 and I used to run them on my 91. They are a great fit. Right now at full lock I barely rub the control arm and with the old one there was no rub at all. No noticable change in acceleration or mileage either.

"You can run 30x9.5r15 tires on a stock XJ only in a AT tread pattern."

I'll second the above statement ...

FYI ........

30x9.5-15 is the largest ... I ran these on my '91. They do fit well without a lift ... and again, they will rub the LCA's at full steering lock----but poses no risk. My 30's were Goodyear Wrangler AT's .... on OEM 15x7 rims ... they "cupped" something terrible and wore very uneven. I probably only got 20K miles out of them ...

From there I went up 3" ... and to BFG AT 31's on the same OEM rims. For some reason the tire wear was excellent. I still have them on and have over 50K miles on them ... but is in need of replacement. I just lifted it again to 5" ... still contemplating what tire to go with ...

BFG, Goodyear, ProComp ... I'm not real satisfied with the new funky sidewall tread designs and raised white letters ... at over $120 a tire, I like to buy what I know works and looks good on my XJ.

Any thoughts or insight on wear/performance data on ProComps ?

I'm leaning toward BFG AT's again---I'm just not real crazy about the new sidewall tread design on the KO.

hey guys

sorry to reply to a old thread, but it relates to the subject at hand...
this guy in my city is selling his 4 BFG AT's 30x9.5x12's on 15x8 American Racing 767's (black)

the question is... will it fit my 2000 Cherokee 4dr at stock height? I have no plans to get it lifted, just want to stay this way for a while.

I don't want it to rub my vehicle at all, but he says there should be about 85-90% tread left, it has been on his jeep for about 3 months. should i go for it?

thanks for any advice.

4 BFG AT's 30x9.5x12's on 15x8 American Racing 767's (black)
Well...this doesn't make sense. Do you mean 30x9.5x15?? If so...yes they should fit. If you mean 30x12 then I think they will be wide but that is a wierd tire size so I don't think that's the case. Plus, a 12 inch wide tire on a 8 inch wide rim would look wierd.......

Do you know what the backspacing is on those rims??

Back