• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some ideas

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got pulled over last week for running my 33x12.5's flareless up front
laugh2.gif
i had over half the tire exposed on the sides so i knew i had it coming. my question is, i dont want to pay for exspensive oversize flares like bushwackers or rustys because i dont have the cash and i've heard they arent good for the trail. i guess i was wondering if anybody has ever fabbed up some custom flares? i will be starting an exo cage and i'll incorporate some sweet tube fenders but thats gonna be a while and i was looking for a temporary alternative in the mean time. 215's on 5" is killing me
laugh2.gif

are tj flares going to cover almost 6" of tire? also, do they mount the same as the xj flares, i mean with those brackets? it would be cool if i could just drill some holes and pop rivet something on...

I dont have an answer to your question...but am wondering how much your ticket was since I'm in exactly the same boat as you -same size tire on 5". In the mean time I have my eyes plastered on my rearview mirrors but I know I too have it coming...maybe I can pull off the road and out run 'em...nah, then again!

get 2 sets of TJ rear flairs, you'll have to trim fenders to get them to look right, less rubbing so it isn't all bad. The mounting is much different but you can make it work. Drill and rivet if you want, I've also talked with a lot of people who have used small zip ties so if the flair catches on something it will break the ties and not tear out of the fender. Also a nice big fine if caught here in PA.

i think he said the rear was pushing it but o.k. because i still have the flares on. he said the front was just plain ridiculous so i'll probably just start with something up front and go from there.

If it doesn't have to look pretty, I've seen people use rubber landscaping/garden edging. I think you can find it in 6" or 8".

I got my bushwackers about a month ago and am pleasently surprised that I havent ripped them off my truck, been in some situations where I thought for sure they would get yanked off.

i'll admit that i like the look of bushwackers but there is no way that i can afford them, i gotta get some gears and lockers etc. and i cant seem to sell my old tires so money is tight.

Dude TJ flares will be awsome for u. They mount on way better and way simpler then the original XJ flares. heres mine. And its really cheap! Only 40 bucks out of the junkyard.

JeepWheelin20.jpg

are those just stock tj flares?(not extended ones) How wide do you think the flares are? and are those 33x12.50's? what back spacing? ha ha, sorry for all the questions but if i buy them and i still get pulled over, it'll be a waste and i could have bought a high-lift:hang:

Back