• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max tire size

Miah

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 sport (stock) i am about to put new tires on it, i was going to put 235s and am now wondering if i can go up another size. What is the max tire size with an oem rig?
Thanks, Miah

30 X 9.50 is the largest size you can go to. They will rub a little bit on the LCA and they will rub on the shock tower just a little bit though. If you don't any crazy wheeling with the sway bar disconected, you will be fine!

You could get some TJ 15x8 canyons, they're offset/back spaced/just cool that they wont rub anything w/ 30x9.5s.

Or the new TJ Ravine rims...

Icons I'm not sure about, they are 16x8s, but I've yet to own a set of those.

After going through many sets of 30x9.5s I now run 235/75s.

That much more room to flex off-road on a stocker.
And they're cheaper.
Cooper discoverer ATs, $300 OR LESS for 4 out the door.

Teron

With the new (1997 and newer) body style it has been reported that 30s also rub on the trailing edge of the rear wheel arches.

To be safe, unless you're planning a budget boost or lift in the near future, I'd stick with 235s.

Re: Max tire size on OEM 2000 sport.

Question about the max tire size on 2000 OEM Sport XJ.

No lift.. and none planned. Stock 5 spoke rims, 15x7.

Currently i have some off brand tires size: 235-70-15.

What i would really like are the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. I've read many many great things about these tires, plus i have a potential "buddy deal" at a local bridgestone center.

My question is this.. will 265-70-15's fit with little problems?
These are essentially the same size as 30x9.5's. Both have the same quoted diameter.. but the 265's have more width.

Any and all reponses on this greatly appreciated.

I am really interested in knowing how the RAVINE wheels with 30x9.5 tires fit on a 97+ stocker. I might go to upcountry springs if I can get away without a SYE on my 242, but that's as high as I would probably go.

BFG 30x9.50's fit perfectly and will provide traction over anything your undercarriage will clear on a '99 or '00 XJ. I have this on personal experience and definitely reccomend this tire.

30s9.50 A/T KO

thanks Brute.. I know those BFG's are damn good. I had some on 3/4 Chevy i had a few years back. I do'nt believe they were the KO's.. but still a great tire.

I'll be mostly on the street, so i want something a little more comfortable in that arena. Supposedly the Dueler AT Revos are unbelievable, esp. in the rain.

Anyone else on Max tires to fit stock suspension and stock rims? 97+ xj.

The previous owner of my '96 had just installed Michelin XCX APT 30 X 9.5s
because he thought them the safest on Maine's winter roads and the quietest and most durable of good winter tires.

I've loved them this winter; haven't slithered once with all the snow/ice we've had in Maine. If there's any kind of road noise from them I can't detect it (though that might have to do with deteriorating hearing).

They do rub on tight turns, but Rich P says that if I'll have the ends of the bolts inside the wheel well clipped it will stop that. I keep forgetting to have it done but intend to.

Sparkman said:
I am really interested in knowing how the RAVINE wheels with 30x9.5 tires fit on a 97+ stocker. I might go to upcountry springs if I can get away without a SYE on my 242, but that's as high as I would probably go.

I just added a set of the Ravine wheels/30x9.5 GSAs to my 00 Sport. Completely stock suspension. I get no rubbing lock-to-lock and in 'mild' off-road conditions, have not had any trouble with them hitting or rubbing so far. I guess under more extreme articulation, they could rub at the back of the rear wheel well. Everything else seems to have decent clearance.

They look great and completely change the attitude of the Jeep. UpCountry springs would be a good move and I may do that later this year.

00xjsebb said:
I just added a set of the Ravine wheels/30x9.5 GSAs to my 00 Sport. Completely stock suspension. I get no rubbing lock-to-lock and in 'mild' off-road conditions, have not had any trouble with them hitting or rubbing so far. I guess under more extreme articulation, they could rub at the back of the rear wheel well. Everything else seems to have decent clearance.

They look great and completely change the attitude of the Jeep. UpCountry springs would be a good move and I may do that later this year.

Awesome!!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

I'm running 30x9.5 BFG A/T's on stock rims/01 XJ w/UpCountry pkg. No rubbing front or back on or offroad. That's w/ 130,000 on the stock suspension to!

On my 96 I had no room for 30's at stock height. I would rub every time I turned the wheel and any time I hit a bump or dip in the road. They are: 2 Bridgestone Dueler M/Ts and 2 other MTs (the brand has slipped my mind) and the boost isted in my sig. Plenty of room now. I used to bottom out in the front over this one dip with 235s and now with my 30's I have no problems. I'd recommend a BB from someone. I've heard good about Teraflex. My RRO stuff is plenty stout looking but their customer service kinda sucks. Just remember no 2 XJs are the same so yours might fit.

go with a Budget Boost and a set of 15x8 w/4" backspacing wheels and u wont have a problem with rub at all, thats what i did, and im running 30x9.50's, even with no sway bars i dont rub at all anywhere (took the sway bars completely off when i did the BB)

Back