• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mo Madness!!!! Who's Coming? New Thread....

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
first off i am happy with the interest in the event.... secondly i need to tell you that in light of recent events in my life the 3 day event will probably be abreviated into friday and saturday.... as it looks now i can probably still get there (with a broken truck still) for friday night and saturday.... so here is the plan as it stands now...
we still have the camp site for friday thru sunday night....
friday wheeling will be scheduled to head out BY 3PM.... if you want to make this run i need to know so i can tell earle you are coming...
SATURDAY
meeting place..... BIG Y supermarket on Rt 2 and Rt 8 junction in north adams
time: BY 830AM.. groups wll be leaving from 9 to 930...... i know 830 is a lil early but the hardcore run could make for a LOOONG day and earle wants to get a jump on it...
we have trail leaders for at least 3 groups but a 4th will volunteer if needed depending on attendance...
STOCK run.. for stock to 3" lift and drivers with less experience... this is going to be a CHALLENGE for a stock vehicle but by no means impassable... there is a section with quite a bit of rocks but no BODY damage should be expected...
MODERATE (this is a lose term depending on the drivers abilities as well as the vehicle) this will be my group.. probably a mix of rocks and mud...
HARDCORE... this is earles run.. lifted, locked, and experienced... winch may be needed in some spots...

the trailleader has the FINAL say on who runs with them... dont expect to run HC if you are not equiped for it... (not trying to sound like a nazi but last year we spent too much time strapping ill-equiped rigs on trails that were beyond their abilities)
i want to stress the simple requirements again but this is bare minimum..
acceptable front AND rear recovery points
tow strap with NO HOOKS (a chain IS NOT acceptable)

SPECIAL NOTE FOR TRAILERED VEHICLES!!!!!!!
DO NOT BRING THE TRAILER UP TO THE CAMP GROUND!!!!!
if you are camping please park you tow rig and trailer at the MOUNT GREYLOCK VISITOR CENTER on the Rt 7 entranc ein LANESBORO ma. and drive the trail rig up....
if you are day-tripping you will be directed to park in the FRIENDLY'S restaurant parking lot 2 miles west of the BIG Y meeting place...

if you intend to show up saturday AM and camp that night it might be a good idea to hit the camp earlier than the meeting time so you can claim a spot before dark... food for thought...
there should be plenty of room for everyone with the group site and the other single sites reserved by a few others in our group....

please think ahead and address you own food and drinking needs BEFORE you head out with a group... meeting at a supermarket makes this very easy....

sunday wheeling will really depend on who is there and can lead a run... i was going to lead sunday because earle may have to leave mid day and i may need to cut my weekend short too... but i cant promise any sunday wheeling right now... there will be others there with knowledge of the area and im sure we can give someone directions to a good trail...

i wanted this to be a multi-day event but i guess saturday is the new target day......
here is what i NEED FROM YOU...
WHO?
WHAT DAY?
CAAMPING OR NOT?
HOW MANY other rigs are coming with you?
ARE YOU TRAILERED?
what level of trail you would like to run? (please keep in mind that if one run is too "heavy" some rigs may get bumped to another run to even it out)

i will be on this board less in the coming week so i will give EAGLE my cell ## in case there are specific questions about something.....

see you all there!!!!!

mike

sent you a pm. I will be there sat for the day, coming by myself, not camping, not trailered. Probably going to run with the stock group.

John

I'll be able to attend on Saturday, but I'm hoping to hitch a ride with someone because I don't have anything trailworthy at the moment. I'll be driving up early Saturday morning, so I won't be camping.

if you have a CB or a small hand-held FRS radoi bring it with you.. stopping to talk wastes alot of time.... FRS is not the same as GMRS (and thats all i know about GMRS)

mike

sidriptide said:
if you have a CB or a small hand-held FRS radoi bring it with you.. stopping to talk wastes alot of time.... FRS is not the same as GMRS (and thats all i know about GMRS)

mike

GMRS does not communicate with CB. Leave the GMRS at home, or use it for talking around the campsite. CB is for trail use. I'm very weary of Earle telling us that his fawkin' GMRS can talk to CBs, then we get out on the trail and Earle spends the day talking to himself.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

:doh: Sorry for the stupid question regarding the dates, I obviously didn't read the the other thread about Memorial day weekend. unfortunately for me I can't make it and meet all you guys; I'm actually headed to Nova Scotia for a week for some camping and wheeling during that time.

Eagle said:
GMRS does not communicate with CB. Leave the GMRS at home, or use it for talking around the campsite. CB is for trail use. I'm very weary of Earle telling us that his fawkin' GMRS can talk to CBs, then we get out on the trail and Earle spends the day talking to himself.

IT DOESN'T WORK.

i would think most people dont even know GMRS exists... almost not worth mentioing here but ya never know... and IIRC GMRS requires some FCC operators lic as well... and for the record i think the confusion with the radoi frequencies only happened once..... and Earle doesnt even have a GMRS set up......

mike

sidriptide said:
i would think most people dont even know GMRS exists... almost not worth mentioing here but ya never know... and IIRC GMRS requires some FCC operators lic as well... and for the record i think the confusion with the radoi frequencies only happened once..... and Earle doesnt even have a GMRS set up......

mike

Many people are buying them without knowing what they are, and without bothering to get the license. Virtually all the small, hand-held "personal" radios being sold at Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Circuit City, etc are combination FRS/GMRS units. If it has only 14 channels it's FRS only, if it has 38 channels it's FRS/GMRS. That's what Earle has been carrying for two or three years.

IT DON'T WORK.

Please ... bring a CB.

RATS!

Change of plans. I have to be in NYC on Saturday afternoon and evening, so I won't be able to attend Mohawk Madness.

Both Mike and Earle are currently not on-line, so I guess despite not attending I will continue to be the contact for any questions. Mike wants a head count, so please let us know if you plan to attend and, if so, for which day(s).

Eagle said:
RATS!

Change of plans. I have to be in NYC on Saturday afternoon and evening, so I won't be able to attend Mohawk Madness.

Both Mike and Earle are currently not on-line, so I guess despite not attending I will continue to be the contact for any questions. Mike wants a head count, so please let us know if you plan to attend and, if so, for which day(s).

Exciting times in NYC! I can't make it cause I have to take my girlfriend to see a play..."42nd Street." I have no one to blame but myself since I bought the tickets as a present. D'oh :doh: !

I'm coming into this discussion late, as apparently it has been discussed before this thread... However, I am going to be in Connecticut next weekend and would like to go wheeling. What days, other than Saturday are people wheeling? Where are the trails relative to North Adams?

Thanks,
-Brian

Hi Brian, if you look down a few threads you'll find the original post titled "Mohawk Madness Memorial Day Weekend", not sure if there's any more info in there. The main day appears to be Saturday but we will definitely be wheeling Sunday too. The trails are all local to N. Adams and the Big Y supermarket parking lot is the meeting spot, I don't think there's an exact time set for Sunday yet but if you're there around 9ish that'd be plenty early. :sunshine: Look for us on channel 4. :thumbup:

-Bic

I'm leaving CT at 10:00 am on friday. I have reserved a spot earlier so I won't be taking up any room in the Pines group site. See ya there.

Yup.....Me too, I'll be hangin with 93XJMark, also have my own site, we'll be
bring'in a couple others along.....they too will be on our sites..........Expect
to be runnin with the "E" man all weekend!!!

It was a GREAT weekend! Beautiful muddy wheeling both days in scenic North Adams. I put my pictures up HERE. Most are from Saturday, I wish I could have gotten more pictures of the Gnarly trail we were on today but it seemed most of the times I got out of the Jeep I was either helping push someone or falling in the mud. :gee:
Thanks Mike for setting up a great weekend! :thumbup:

-Bic

I had a great time! Wheeled some gnarly trails and didn't break anything worth repairing on the spot. We found a trail that wasn't used much, we found out why after it was too late to go back the way we came without making it a whinch-fest.
Big thanks to Earl and Mike for putting this trip together.

Back