• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Coast Trail Run Memorial Day Weekend

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
By popular demand, it looks like the Lost Coast - Usal Trail run will take place on Sunday May 30th (Memorial Day Weekend). This will mark this event as the 3rd annual Lost Coast - Usal Trail run! I want to post this early so folks can start planning for this event as campgrounds seem to fill up quickly, particularly for a 3 day weekend. This is a great family event, for family and kids to enjoy. The trail is scenic and relatively mild, but does have it's "interesting" sections to make it fun. It's also part of the same trail used by Jeep Jamboree USA. It is a one day run, but the 3 day weekend makes it great to check out the rest of the are while you are here.

We will all meet in Garberville at the Wagon Wheel Restaurant for breakfast (for those that want to eat) at 9:00 am. The restaurant is not all that hard to find as there is only one main drag in Garberville, and the restaurant located at the southern end of town, just as you pull off Hwy 101 if you're traveling north. Actually, there are only about 3 restaurants in Garberville that serve breakfast

After we greet and gather, we'll head out toward Shelter Cove for about 30 minutes, before we hit the trail head. Like I mentioned before, stock vehicles are encouraged as this is a relatively mild trail, but not without it's mud hazards should the rain continue on like it has been lately. The trail is extremely scenic and frequent stops are encouraged to take in the views. Once we reach the end of the trail run (which will take about 3 hours or so depending on stops), we wind up at Usal Beach. There, you can drive around on the beach if you want or just explore the creek that empties into the ocean there. If you are so inclined, there is also a campground there at Usal Beach which I believe spaces are on a first come first serve basis. Or, you can find lodging in Fort Bragg which is about 25 minutes south of Usal Beach. If you don't want to stay in Garberville the night before the run, you can stay in Fort Bragg, drive to Garberville for the run, then end up in Fort Bragg again. Its about an hour and half or so away...just a thought.

So I can get a rough idea as to how many to expect, please post to let me know if you plan on coming....thanks!

For those that want to camp out near Garberville, here are a few recommendations:

Richardson's Grove State Campground. About 10 minutes south of Garberville. Spaces may be iffy as this tends to fill up quickly.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=422

Standish Hickey State Campground - About 30 minutes south of Garberville. Spaces may also be iffy. Call now for reservations.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=423

Dean Creek Campground - Private campground just about 10 minutes north of Garberville
http://www.deancreekresort.com/

Or check out the lodging section for Garberville for more ideas on where to stay
http://www.garberville.org/

For those of you wanting to stay in or near Fort Bragg, here are a few recommendations:

Check out the lodging section for Fort Bragg for more details on where to stay
http://www.mendocinocoast2.com/

Mackerricher State Park is about 3 miles north of Fort Bragg. Check for reservations as this too fills up quickly
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=436

Let me know if you are interested in attending so I can keep track of people coming. Thanks...

Ivan

Ivan,
Thank you for getting this together again. No graduations this year so I'll be there.

Have reservations at Redwood River Resort across from Confusion Hill just north of Standish Hickey. When my sister made reservations they stated that there were still two cabins available.

See you Memorial Day, at least this time on the trip I'll have tow hooks :cheers:

Tom

well, we missed the last two years and really want to make this years. We'll probably bring marni's ZJ with AT's and a LSD.

SeanP

SeanP said:
Not sure yet. We are usually pretty good back country campers, staying at the beach sounds ideal to us. Marni would love spending a couple days on the water.

SeanP
What are you going to do drive the Chevy pickup or will you still have the tundra by then? :D

i'm planning to go. i'm taking my family (wife and son) with me. anyone else taking their family? i dont know where i'm staying yet buy i think i'm going to find a hotel since our son is 5 1/2 months old. is the trail mild enough to have a 5 1/2 old in the back? i'm going to start looking for a place to stay.

87cheif said:
i'm planning to go. i'm taking my family (wife and son) with me. anyone else taking their family? i dont know where i'm staying yet buy i think i'm going to find a hotel since our son is 5 1/2 months old. is the trail mild enough to have a 5 1/2 old in the back? i'm going to start looking for a place to stay.

The trail is very mild. Your son should be fine. We actually had some very young ones with us last year. They even stayed at the camp ground with us.

Neil

Boatwrench and I are going to stay at the Redwood River Resort north of Leggett,across from Confusion Hill. They had some cabins available and might suit your needs. We will be there with our RV. Better make reservations soon because it gets hard the closer you get to the weekend.

Mary

I’m %90 sure I’ll be there with my fiance. My Jeep has been givin my hell lately but I’m getting it put back together. Last year we all stayed in one camp sight (or was it two). I’d vote for the same camp. good times!

i think that i'm gonna go for that best western in Garberville. it's inexpensive and that's really all i need. hopefully there is still some rooms left.

Neil you campin again, anyone ells want to do Standish Hickey Campground?

I'm planning on making the run with my wife and staying in Garberville Saturday night & Ft. Bragg Sunday night. What hotels are people staying at in Garberville/Ft. Bragg? I heard someone saying the Best Western in Garberville is cheap. Cheap is good for me. I'm debating to bring my bid bad xj or my bone stock grand cherokee to the run? How mild is the trail and would you guys give me a hard time if I brough the zj instead of the xj, I cannot bring my yj because it isn't smogged and in my garage.

Back