• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy Access Camp Sites near Fresno?

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
Any one know of any nice and easy camp sites near Fresno? Just looking to go up with a friend this weekend and camp in the back of my rig.

Theres literally dozens of very nice camp sites as well as wilderness spots right up at Shaver lake and better yet above, Courtwright,dinkey lakes,etc theres no end to the xlnt places and fishing to be had.

East of Dinkey Creek. Just find a back road and you'll find a nice spot. If you take Big Fir Road off of McKinley Grove road it's a good place to start. ;)

dyna said:
Theres literally dozens of very nice camp sites as well as wilderness spots right up at Shaver lake and better yet above, Courtwright,dinkey lakes,etc theres no end to the xlnt places and fishing to be had.

Theres hundreds.

Might I suggest the King River. It is really nice this time of year and has a good river. Just past Pine Flat Reservoir. Where the rafters put in, but this time of year there is nobody up there so it is really nice.

Half way around the Pine Flat lake, you can follow a 15 mile dirt road up to Dinkey creek, it is a beautiful drive that follows the creek up the mountain, you can camp anywhere along there.

If you drive past Pine Flat lake you can drive up the Sierra side of the King's River Canyon (huge), pretty freaky ride, but spectacular views, you will pass by Black Rock Reservoir (great camping) and come out near the turn out towards Courtright Reservoir (which is now my favorite spot to camp in the high mountains).

Those are a few of my favorite spots all within a short drive from where we live, we have it made.

:cheers:

Wow... Amazing. Thanks you guys, I was just gonna do something easy like Lost Lake, or Bass Lake... but Ben, looks like i'l heading out to Courtright Reservoir! Thanks again!

The beach at courtright is completely exposed, so have fun. Good camping around Chicken Rock.

Ben H said:
Those are a few of my favorite spots all within a short drive from where we live, we have it made.

:cheers:

Dinkey Creek is a 5 hour drive for me! :rattle:

BURRR! Man it was COLD last night! We camped at Millerton Lake, easy camp site and BURRR! I'm starting to realize I'm to tall for the back of my rig. Next Week courtright!

Courtwright is something like 8800 ft ele, isnt exactly gonna be warm there either this time of year. Time for a Honda 1000 watt gen and a electric blanket.

Ricky, I would consider dropping your elevation into Blue Canyon or Pine Flat. Blue Canyon is a personal favorite of mine FYI. Beyond that, there are a few things on the Kings River thats great for the colder season. I like to stay around 3k-4k in the winter.

(sorry I missed your call, I was wheeling. I will get you later this week.)

I like Kirch Flats, about 15 miles above Trimmer, or you could keep going and either go to Camp 4 1/2 on the Mill Creek side, go up to Black Rock Lake past Balch Camp

Back