• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF? (what the frankenstein?)

eataburrito10

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy yall. i currently am the proud owner of a 99 xj (i think). its DEFINITELY between 98-01, DEFINITELY an xj, but i have no idea where the hell it came from. here's some pics:

DSC06605.jpg

DSC06604.jpg

2007.jpg

so, its defnitely an xj, but i'm almost 100% sure it was originally red. i can't find any stickers indicating the series (sport, classic, etc) and there is NO roof rack or holes for one. the manual that came with it is a 1999 but the fuse panels don't match up with the car, so i'm thinking its an aftermarket one they threw in the glovebox....hence the name frankenstein (i know its lame, gimme a break)...if anyone can help me figure out what series this is, or if it even is a 99 id greatly appreciate the help

To me it looks like the base line Cherokee, maybe somebody added the wheels? To tel if its a 99+, look at the intake manifold, theres pics here on NAXJA showing the difference.

Pop the hood. Have a distributor cap and wires? then its a 97-99. if not 00-01.

Then if 97-99, look at the steering wheel. Is the center where the airbag is a circle or a square? If square then 98-99, if circle its a 97.

For 98-99 and 00-01, I don't know any real differences.

Or just open the drivers door jam or under the hood should have a stamped build date.

I would say you have a 97 or 98 XJ on your hands. Notice the textured fender flares and no "Sport" decal, IIRC most 99+ had body colored flares and were the "Sport" package.

omfg did someone chrome the stock steelies? or is that just chrome spray paint :roflmao:

the build date should be in the drivers door jamb or under the hood, remember that model years start in june, so anything between 6/98 - 5/99 would be a 99, 6/99 - 5/00 is a 00 etc

kellen said:
Pop the hood. Have a distributor cap and wires? then its a 97-99. if not 00-01.

Then if 97-99, look at the steering wheel. Is the center where the airbag is a circle or a square? If square then 98-99, if circle its a 97.

For 98-99 and 00-01, I don't know any real differences.

Or just open the drivers door jam or under the hood should have a stamped build date.
My 97 has a square airbag. I think that what you are thinking about is if it is a base model (with base guage cluster) it has a round airbag.

Just open the drivers door, look at the date of manufacture, also check the emissions sticker for approximate year. If all else fails, check the VIN.

Last edited:
no drivers side door jamb stickers/tags?
heck they all look the same to me. paint my 89 green and it would look like yours.

XJduality said:
My 97 has a square airbag. I think that what you are thinking about is if it is a base model (with base guage cluster) it has a round airbag.

Just open the drivers door, look at the date of manufacture, also check the emissions sticker for approximate year. If all else fails, check the VIN.

didn't know that. Thought it was all 97's. Thanks for the info, I hate the look of the circle ones for some reason.

XJduality said:

Ummm... I'm not so sure about that. My fairly loaded '97 Sport had only the idiot-light cluster and a square airbag enclosure. :dunno:

how about you just look at the title.

and...don't listen about the circle/square steering wheel center. that's wrong.

1994 was the last year for a circular center cap in the steering wheel, and it DID NOT have air bags.

96 was the last year for the old body style which had a two piece window in the front doors (small vent wing, and normal).

97 was the first year of the new style, which matches your body style. 97 also had the most problems compared to the 98-01's. makes sense because of the major overhaul they gave the wiring and interior.

that thing has 93 and prior factory STEEL wheels on it with chrome factory caps, unless someone made custom wheels for it (not likely at all).
your tail lights match 97+, grille, front fenders, rear bumper, rear hatch, and front bumper match 97+

got an interior pic? someone could have bolted the rest on and resprayed it, BUT the interior....is a whole different ball game.

what's the vin also, we should be able to find out everything from there. check if your dash vin matches the engine bay vin (both on the driver's side, dash one is near the bottom of the windshield, engine bay vin is inside the engine bay on the firewall on the driver's side (right where the driver's hood hinge is).

if those don't match, you've got a frankenstein. you also may have an issue with DMV and such.

To clarify the airbag issue

dash1.jpg

This is the old "square" airbag in the 96 and older

jeep_cherokee_01g.jpg

This is the 97+ airbag, not so square. This one does not have cruise.

1jeep1.jpg
Yes, this is a Wrangler pic for arguement purposes.
And this is the "round" one found on 97+ base models.

The last one is usually found on the base model cherokee's with next to no options. I have seen postal/fleet Cherokee's with this airbag/steering wheel before in both RHD and LHD.

My 97 and 98 have the same airbags. 2nd pic with cruise (call it new square?). The wiring on my 97 is still perfect, my 98 has had more problems. To continue what he was origonally asking, I think that we are all close to correct. Base model, 97-99ish. Pull the VIN, or yeah, look at your registration.

His ride could have been a fleet jeep repainted. Not unsual to see these floating around. I am curious what he actually finds, and would like to see some additional pics of the interior, motor, axles, VIN.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Jeep used to (maybe still) get requests from governmental agencies for small batches of cars. A guy that regularly comes into the library where I work was in the paint shop at the original plant here in Toledo, and he's mentioned doing 100-200 O.D. XJs at a time for different states' forest service divisions. When these batches were requested, they often had no identifiers other than being Jeep Cherokees. I have no 100% proof I can offer you about this, but I know people who do and who did work at Jeep for many years (including a now-retired father-in-law who was a Jeep engineer).

alright, theres' the explanation i was looking for on the round vs. square. that clarifies it a bit better.

wow, i can't believe all the quick replies thanks guys.
now, some stuff i forgot to include: the "wheels" in the pic are the cheap hub caps that came with the car ...sorry for not saying that :doh: ....the wheels are stock, ill post a pic tomorrow. there are no stickers on the inside, and there was no "Jeep" emblem above the grill. the reg. only says its a cherokee, not a sport or classic or what have you...and as i mentioned i'm almost 100% sure that it used to be red, as i can still see a little bit on the corner under the hood, as well as some green overspray on the cherokee and 4x4 emblems.......i'm not really losing too much sleep over this :D , just something i've been wondering since i got the darn thing....again thanks for all the quick replies and ill get to posting some more mods, pics, etc when i can

eataburrito10 said:
wow, i can't believe all the quick replies thanks guys.
now, some stuff i forgot to include: the "wheels" in the pic are the cheap hub caps that came with the car ...sorry for not saying that :doh: ....the wheels are stock, ill post a pic tomorrow. there are no stickers on the inside, and there was no "Jeep" emblem above the grill. the reg. only says its a cherokee, not a sport or classic or what have you...and as i mentioned i'm almost 100% sure that it used to be red, as i can still see a little bit on the corner under the hood, as well as some green overspray on the cherokee and 4x4 emblems.......i'm not really losing too much sleep over this :D , just something i've been wondering since i got the darn thing....again thanks for all the quick replies and ill get to posting some more mods, pics, etc when i can
Just curious but how do you come to own a vehicle but you don't know the year? Isn't it on the title?

Or did you steal it?

Back