• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new comanche

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
picked up a 91 comanche today. its got the 4.0, 5 speed, d44/d30, rustys long arm kit and fiberglass front and rear fenders, 35' mtrs on 15x10s, bumpers f+r. jumped on this thing as soon as i saw it. guy said he got over 100 phone calls. not a xj...but getting closer! the zj is down with a couple leaks.. heres some pics.

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

let me know what you think.

If I had to choose between an XJ or MJ, I would take the MJ personally.

Really nice MJ! Been looking for one of those(or a nice '97+ XJ with a stick) for MONTHS and haven't found anything yet.

That's frickn cool, its a stick AND a HO motor!

yeah pretty stoked about that!

Really nice MJ! Been looking for one of those(or a nice '97+ XJ with a stick) for MONTHS and haven't found anything yet.

i was in the same boat as you. somethin will pop up, you just gotta keep checkin craigslist pretty much every night.

If I had to choose between an XJ or MJ, I would take the MJ personally.

agreed.

thanks

first things im doing is trac bar bushings, iro steering on the zj and swap the zj steering(with new ends) onto the mj, all fluids, temp gauge fix or aftermarket. then in a couple months, me and my buddy want to paint it. thinking about doing a tan color, not sure yet though. im selling my car(is250) because i never drive it, so im going to make the mj a good driver.

holy crap thats a sick MJ! what are the specs? gears lockers chromos etc?

holy crap thats a sick MJ! what are the specs? gears lockers chromos etc?

guy i got it from said he built it and never changed the gears, but seems to think it has 4.10s, its got plenty of power even with the 35s..it has a factory l.s. in back i think, got it sideways pretty easy. stock axles. it looks alot tougher than it is. im glad it has the d44 in the back though. im keeping my eyes open for a built hp30 with 456/488s to swap in the front and then match the rear. i dont plan on doing rocks or technical stuff with this, mainly make it a nice driver/camping/mild wheeling rig. i had a 89 mj a couple of years ago and regretted selling that rig very much, this is a great replacement.

so flippen sweet. Loven the full fiberglass. i've wanted a HO manche for so long.

How tall are those coils? Look like 8"

they are 7" or 8". p.o. said he bought the biggest coils cRustys offered. i went and looked around and found the fiberglass flares at tandjperformance.com. not as expensive as i thought it would be. i think it came out to 900 for all the fiberglass, shipped.

just found out it has 3.07 gears...35s with 3.07 gears. got to 60 in 4th gear just above 2000 rpm. ridiculous.

ok. i gotta ask. what did you pay for the thing?
3.07s can be swapped. go to 4.88 or deeper

4.88 with the HO Motor just ROCKS !!! You have the overdrive for the freeway, and the best of all worlds. Nice find, indeed !!!

just found out it has 3.07 gears...35s with 3.07 gears. got to 60 in 4th gear just above 2000 rpm. ridiculous.
I was going to say.. only 2.5L came with 4.10s stock.
But , with the ax-15 I would say 4.56. If you get a deal on the 4.88s go for that, I guess. Yes, you will need a different carrier for both the D30 and D44.

well i sold my daily driver car, so i need to make the mj as street friendly as possible, fast. i already threw some stock cherokee tires on it so it doesnt bog down so much, but it looks like crap. it has a vibration at speed, getting worse as speed increases, and its not a wobble. im guessing alignment? the tires are fine and balanced. im keeping my eyes open for a set of 456 or 488s for my axles. the check list is....

oil change(10w40 synthetic)
tranny fluid change (syncromesh?)
tcase fluid change.
adjust longs arms..i really dont like the way the rustys arms are setup, they are off a cherokee and have a very small amount of adjustment available, and the adjustment threads are HUGE. passenger side arm has some slack.
brake fluid flush, brake pads/rotors/drums/shoes all look good.
bleed clutch.

any other ideas?

Are you sure that the tires you put on are balanced? Try rotating them front to rear and see if anything changes. Check/adjust your toe. And drive it again.

ya that must be the tires that are making a vibration. the alignment will not make a vehicle vibrate. could be the balance on the tires, or possible seperation.

Tires .
Check pinion u joints on both ds.as well as.cv joints. You.got sports.lift.
Check out front end.for warn parts. Bushings, bearings, tres, etc. Check read pinion angle and.front castor as well.

Back