• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with 99 Durango steering box

XjZack

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is a 1998 xj
I did the 99 Durango steering box and added a new stock pump.. both are from AutoZone.. I aslo did a trans cooler on the return line.. the problem I'm having is after I jack the jeep up and bleed the system I test drive it everything seems good.. I shut the motor off and then started it back up and no power steering at all.. so I replaced the gear box and that wasn't it so I replaced the pump and that was it.. I blood the system and took it for a test drive and didn't have any power steering below 2,000 rpm.. I drove it for 10 or so miles and now I don't any any power steering at all.. do I keep getting bad pumps or is it something I'm doing?

i got two crappy pumps from AZ in a row. symptoms exactly as you described. open up the flow control valve (the fitting you screw the high pressure line into, in front of the resi) and check the piston. i bet its stuck in bypass. basically you still have mechanical steering, but no hydraulic power steering.

i even poslished the pistion on my second durafail pump. still stuck. stuck to the point that no amount of beating on the side of the pump would dislodge it.

i have PSC now. with a derale cooler and WIX inline trans filter on the LP line.

You can get a reman on rockauto from Lares. I run one with my WJ/DUrango setup and works great. A few others got one from there and had a dud, but ahve gotten them taken care of. They are at least rebuilt in the states. Also did you swap the pump to the WJ or you just using a stock pump? The durango box is bigger and you need more volume flowing to it. Hence the WJ pump for the swap.

It usually doesn't matter where the reman is purchased from there are less than a handful of rebuilders out there so chances are it's gonna come from the same place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that particular problem may be the piston located directly behind the inlet line. It seems like it was a challenge getting a clean bore in the housing during manufacturing or something and there are several different diameter pistons. I had been messing around with modifications and found some pistons would jam sideways in the bore and found a pretty big difference one to the next. If you whack the pump with something you may be able to release the piston in which case you would at least know the issue.

Back