• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New project

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I stumbled into a conversation at just the right time. A co-worker was talking to the owner of this XJ and I overheard him telling her that "there was a hole in the piston and the engine was done". He then asked me if I knew anyone that wanted to rebuild an XJ engine. As we talked with the owner, she simply said she "wanted it gone" and didn't want to spend anymore money on it....... $200 later, this is what I dragged home.

P1010825.jpg

P1010827.jpg

P1010828.jpg

P1010832.jpg

P1010831.jpg

It's a '96 with 180K, new Rancho 5000 shocks, new tires, new battery, rust free and only one golf ball sized dent in the pass. front fender. The rear bumper needs replaced and the interior is pretty grungy, but she left the Sony CD stereo in it (said she was gonna keep it, but changed her mind). Not alot of frills - no electric windows or seats and no gauges, but straight and solid.

An engine swap, some serious interior cleaning, windshield, rear bumper and clean off the trim tape on the doors..... should be a nice driver! :thumbup: :D

I think I may have you beat, well maybe not. Finally got my DD...91 Laredo with 182k on the ticker with a CLEAN interior, for $400. Currently ripping out the Bendix 9 ABS and putting in a '97 Booster, MC, and Prop. Valve. Its paint is oxidized a bit, but its perfect other than the brakes :D I'll get pics up sometime...either way, nice find Troy!

Now that would make me cry! Too many projects as it is.

Lucky dog!

Nice pick up do we see a new heep in the making?????????????????????

Yellaheep in the mirror! :roflmao:
P1010828.jpg

freerider15 said:
I think I may have you beat, well maybe not. Finally got my DD...91 Laredo with 182k on the ticker with a CLEAN interior, for $400. Currently ripping out the Bendix 9 ABS and putting in a '97 Booster, MC, and Prop. Valve. Its paint is oxidized a bit, but its perfect other than the brakes :D I'll get pics up sometime...either way, nice find Troy!

Could you go into detail on how you are going to swap in the 97 brake parts. I have a 99 booster that I want to put in my hybrid 87/94 XJ but the rod that connects to the brake pedal appears to be different.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Patterson said:
Could you go into detail on how you are going to swap in the 97 brake parts. I have a 99 booster that I want to put in my hybrid 87/94 XJ but the rod that connects to the brake pedal appears to be different.

Thanks,
Rob

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to PM you..... NO thread hijacking! :D :D

200 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow LUCKEY! I need a better DD rig than the XJ or my truck. even with the cost of a rebuilt motor on top the 200 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

DrMoab said:

Looks like the gingerbread man got killed on your driveway :chef: :laugh3:

Sweet. Where you going to source the replacement engine from?

RockTracXJ said:
Sweet. Where you going to source the replacement engine from?

Dunno yet. I've been sitting on a rebuilt engine (30k on it) for my yellow rig as a just-in-case replacement as the original is getting tired..... might use that one. But I'm also keeping an eye on Klode's auctions for one that's been hit hard but would have a good engine and matching interior. Last time I was there, several hard hits were selling for under $500.

No money right now anyway, so no hurry.....

Where do you keep all of these vehicles? Seems like you've had your hands on a few parts rigs as well lately. How do the neighbors take to it, not like their complaints would go very far? :D

footdale said:
Where do you keep all of these vehicles? Seems like you've had your hands on a few parts rigs as well lately. How do the neighbors take to it, not like their complaints would go very far? :D

Well, the projects I keep are just one at a time - the nice thing is that I have an RV pad behind a 6' fence which keeps the HOA happy, and I do most wrenching during the day when the neighbors are working (benefit to working the graveyard shift). And, several neighbors violate HOA rules with their boats or RV's anyway - I think there's a general understanding on my block that we all have things we need to get away with and no one calls to complain for fear of a pissin' war...... :D

Nice a "General Understanding".............................:laugh:

When you get to tearing into that motor swap I'd be interested in lending a hand if you'd like. The only thing I didn't do on my jeep is swap in the new motor when the last one blew and now it's something I wish I had done myself.

I also regret that I didn't take the opprotunity to throw in a stroker. :firedevil

I second the offer there Troy it would be a learnin experiance for me..........:lecture:

Well Tony, Matt,

If you want, I'll be tearing into it Sunday. You can swing by anytime after 12 noon. Tony knows where I live, but PM me if you need directions.

Broadway and Dry Creek area.

Back