• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying intermittently

mongolchuck

NAXJA Forum User
1986 XJ with 93 YJ 4.0 and AX15. Died on my way to work back in December. Crank but no start. Restarted several hours later and now will die after driving for about 1/2 an hour. I can get it to restart by disconnecting the batt for about 60 seconds. Only throwing code 33 and 12. Fuel pressure when it dies stays up and is good while cranking. CPS was a mopar unit about 2 years old. Tried a new mopar cps and problem persists. Cam sensor is about a year old. Seems to be loosing a signal somewhere but without codes it is very hard to diagnose. It doesn't die accept under load so letting it idle for extended time doesn't help. Wiggled wires and checked all circuits. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Just realized I Left this thread dead for a very long time without giving a resolution. After going through several checks I narrowed it down to the "new" cam sensor in the distributor. I bought a new Mopar one and haven't had issues since. It seems we all have to go through the "don't buy parts store brand sensors" doubt until we actually have issues and are forced to believe. Now I get to move on to replacing the rotting floor and building the new to me 93 sport I bought.

I too would like to know about the cam sensor/pickup coil on later xj’s mine is a 96 I am currently having what appears to be the same issue that you had. Been going through the usual suspects with no joy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 96 died when the cam sensor failed. It would not
restart until the sensor was replaced. (It also triggered
a cam sensor code.)

Upon inspection, the cam sensor magnet had become
unglued and fell off the sensor. I added an extra dab of
epoxy to the new sensor magnet to hopefully prevent
this happening again...

My 96 died when the cam sensor failed. It would not
restart until the sensor was replaced. (It also triggered
a cam sensor code.)

Upon inspection, the cam sensor magnet had become
unglued and fell off the sensor. I added an extra dab of
epoxy to the new sensor magnet to hopefully prevent
this happening again...

Fell off! Lol

Mine is intact, jeep runs but tries to stall out after a few minutes on the road. I back probed the connector but only with a manual engine turning. 5volts. Need to get a remote start button to make my life easier diagnosing this.
I may be starting another stalling 4.0 thread soon.

The usual suspects are the Crank and cam sensors. But I’ve also had a rough idle worn cap and rotor. The coil is also problematic. The side up against the engine gets cracks and then you end up with intermittent problems.
Every few years it’s best just to go through and replace cap/button/ht leads/coil and plugs as consumable service items.

Fell off! Lol

Mine is intact, jeep runs but tries to stall out after a few minutes on the road. I back probed the connector but only with a manual engine turning. 5volts. Need to get a remote start button to make my life easier diagnosing this.
I may be starting another stalling 4.0 thread soon.

My 96 would sometimes die after driving a few minutes. It got progressively get worse until it was most everytime I drove it. Seemed it was when the system switched from presets to sensor inputs (closed loop, open loop), usually whithin a quarter to half a mile. Turned out to be the O2 sensor. It never threw a code until it completely died. I've had the same issue with older Chevs, the CEL doesn't register a problem until way late in the failure process.

Back