• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need info on XJ V8 swap

ripper350XJ

NAXJA Forum User
:shiver: Hey guys I'm new to the fourm, I live in Alaska and will be moving to Hawaii this coming March so I have to get this done. I am currently working on an 86 xj I just bought. I have a 350 TBI out of a 1990 K1500 chevy that I am swaping along with a SM465/205. I already have the motor/fuel injection system, painless harness, and advanced adapters motor mounts. I'm pretty much just looking for any suggestions, helpful pictures, and/or treads to refer me to. Thanks

ask MR. overkill. You can find posts about him in the socal section. His junk has a 350 in it.

There are number of posts in modified and advanced engineering regarding Chevy engine installs. Search!
Try "Chevy v8", as a starter.

Hi: If you do a search here in the enormous NAXJA archives there is much information to be gleaned on your engine swap includeing the Chevy 350 V-8 fuel injection option to lesser complex and less expensive simpler swaps-Good luck-

Old engine (very underpowered )1984 XJ 2.8 liter engine-rebuilt at least two times before I found the Chevy V-8 5.7 liter as a cost-efficent and easy option,... was,blown(..free..)
1995 Chevrolet 350 V-8 LT1 5.7 liter (carbureted ) ($800.00 crate engine)+ Chev-Delco 200 amp alternator + Be Cool aluminum radiator ($500.00 )
700R-4 trans($200.00) with ye ole Ford Bronco Dana 20 transfer case($200.00) with 1996 Ford 8.8 rear axle($500.00)
Advanced Adapter(Paso Robles, Ca) motor mounts and Chev 700R-4 transmission to Ford Dana 20 transfer case adapter-Wild Horse's(Stockton, Ca) Ford Bronco Dana 20 Extreme Duty 32-spline output kit-Rusty's 3-inch lift kit also various inexpensive miscellaneous local boneyard parts-Older model Chevy 1973 exhaust manifold, newer/used 1994 engine hood+spring fittings,1996 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee brake booster and proportioning spring-

On the slim chance I would go through the extensive pains of a V8 conversion my engine of choice would be one of GMs aluminum block engines most commonly used on the Corvettes.....high horsepower, high torque and lightweight. I'd have to be in total love with my Cherokee to do it, otherwise it would be far cheaper and easier to convert a Grand Cherokee to rear leafsprings.

Wm

hmm. 350 in a cherokee, dont do it. Keep the Inline 6...
But since you already have all this crap, then you need to just put it in!
Header selection is fun, cooling is even more excitement, have fun....
Ive got to buy some hedman tight tuck headers , somehow make room for them on the pass side frame rail, and put them on my 350 since my pass side exhaust manifold decided to crack on me...

Last edited:
h2opete987 said:
the I6 was not found in any '86. didn't fit in the engine bay until they massaged the firewall in '88 (IIRC)
1987. First year for the 4.0L I6, as well as the NP231 and NP242.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Buy the advance adapter motor mounts. Ive been told that some hedman tight tube headers will fit as they have a 4 into 1 collector unlike all other headers that have 4 tubes that come together all at once. I used a full size radiator from an elcamino and cut out the front crossmember, removed the grill and pushed the bumper out about 4" and the radiator is where the grille was kinda, cools awesome now. I also run 2 electric fans on it. Looks crappy but it works...

and if you want to see how to get headers to fit on a 350 in an xj with the motor offsed to the passenger side, then look at my post in the advanced fabrication forum under " my frame hack up and rebuild"

Ripper, you're taking a big project if you only have 6 months, or so to have it running.
The '86 has a shorter engine compartment than the 87 and latter years. This complicates fitting the V8 into the bay, and still have room for proper cooling.
I suppose you could do a "quick and dirty" install, waiting until you get to Hawaii before solving the issues you will confront during this swap.
As far as headers go, you need center dump, block huggers to fit, unless you want to add hacking and frame re-build to the list of things to do.
I'd suggest center dump Vette, or other early car/truck manifolds for the least problems.

..Ripper, I say again,.."all XJ's erespective of model years 1984-2000 have the same engine compartment + exterior dimensions-For example if you're wanting to install the V-8 into say a 1984 model year XJ you merely take out your favorite cutting tool and cut out the topmost front cross-member and voila there is the additional length you need without haveing to modify the firewall-Takes all of about fifteen minutes-(sorry I don't have any pics anymore) -Also do a search in the NAXJA archives under my name for some additional information and suggestions-HTH
bxj

Old engine (very underpowered ) was,blown and burned out (..free..)1984 XJ 2.8 liter engine-rebuilt at least two times before I found the Chevy V-8 5.7 liter as a cost-efficent and easy option,...
Here is some details about my heep...
1995 Chevrolet 350 V-8 LT1 5.7 liter (carbureted ) light-weigh aluminum heads and simple( non-fuel injected )- ($800.00 crate engine)+ Chev-Delco 200 amp alternator + Be Cool aluminum radiator ($500.00 )
700R-4 trans($200.00) with ye ole Ford Bronco Dana 20 transfer case($200.00) with 1996 Ford 8.8 rear axle($500.00)
Advanced Adapter(Paso Robles, Ca) motor mounts and Chev 700R-4 transmission to Ford Dana 20 transfer case adapter-Wild Horse's(Stockton, Ca) Ford Bronco Dana 20 Extreme Duty 32-spline output kit-Rusty's 3-inch lift kit also various inexpensive miscellaneous local boneyard parts-Older model Chevy 1973 exhaust manifold, newer/used 1994 engine hood+spring fittings,1996 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee brake booster and proportioning spring-

bxj said:
..Ripper, I say again,.."all XJ's erespective of model years 1984-2000 have the same engine compartment + exterior dimensions

you are the first person I have heard claim that, ever. Granted, I have never measured one myself either. I have always just heard that it is easier to swap a v8 into an 84-87 than it is to swap an I6, and the reason given is that the engine bay will not fit the L6 because it was not designed for it, the firewall was massaged in 87 to fit the 4.0.

Not trying to call you out, just wondering because you are the first source for that info I have seen

Back