• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help-POP sound

adrnalinlovr

NAXJA Forum User
all started reversing out of my driveway put the brakes on to go to drive and as the weight shifted to the rear i heard a single pop* sound towards the front right, after putting it in drive i slowed for the stop sign and as the weight shifted forwards there was another pop*. it doesn't happen when im driving, just when im reversing and going back forwards or when im wheeling and the front right flexes down then up. the first time i noticed it was 2,000-1,500 miles ago i decided to ignore it, but its been happening more often, during that mileage period i put a 3 inch kit and 32 tires and i used my friends lift to try and find the ghost noise but i couldnt find it, wish i could post some pics or anything to help but i have absolutely no idea where its coming from (apart frontish rightish maybe) and i dont want my babe making noise i want it feeling nice.

* pop sounds like cracking a knuckle, course it must be louder to be heard inside.
Its driving me crazy, niall

oh and i've been researching door removals like mad, but is it possible to do with a 99? and would it follow the same usual writeup?

Last edited:
I had this same thing on a 94 ZJ, 4" lift, MileMarker lock hubs on the front. What it turned out to be was the front brake rotor cracking. It was the thin style rotor, and the cracks could be seen forming around the holes for the lug bolts. Went to the thick rotors used on YJ's and that solved the problem. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what it was, but it kept getting worse, and one afternoon a friend and I just started pulling the front apart looking hard at everything. This may or may not be your problem, but it is worth looking at by pulling the right front wheel off.

The pop was caused by the metal flexing when changing vehicle direction which changed the thrust pressure applied to the rotors.

Back