• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need your ideas lol

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i want to build a over head mount for my cb but i do not know how i can mount it to the ceiling any suggestions?

how does the center not bend? because i have a cobra 29ltd and its a little bit bigger than that cb and it might bend in the center.
and secondly, how do you take out the sun visor clips?

Where overhead do you want it exactly? Between the visors worked for me - I had the plastic dome with the a cloudy/dark orb mounted there for what I think was keyless remote entry. I took that out and the cheap $50 cobra mount happened to line up with a screw hole dead center.

My only complaint is that the cb tilts forward and the mic falls out when going uphill so I have to figure something out to fix the mic problem.

No modifications done other than removing dome and lining up stock cobra mount :)
CBMounted002.jpg

RudeBoy: Does your mic stay put when wheeling? what's your trick? I was thinking of putting velcro on it or mount the mic on the dash.

Heres what i did...HATED IT!! I wheeled it 1 time....once. Bumped my head about 20 times. Both these Radios are ham. Removed them and only run a cheap little CB mounted on the Passenger side of the trans hump. You'll see the "lip" that runs around once the headliner is removed, i used several small , maybe 3/4" self tappers to screw the 1/2" plywood to the "lip"
HPIM0603.jpg

HPIM0597.jpg

Whatever you do be sure you can remove it w/o too much damage, you might just HATE it like i did!

Keep us posted

My only complaint is that the cb tilts forward and the mic falls out when going uphill so I have to figure something out to fix the mic problem.

RudeBoy: Does your mic stay put when wheeling? what's your trick? I was thinking of putting velcro on it or mount the mic on the dash.

Quick 5 step process to fix that problem:

Step 1 - open beer...drink
Step 2 - find needle nose pliers in garage
Step 3 - drink more beer
Step 4 - use needle nose pliers to bend center tab on hook toward two outer tabs
Step 5 - open another beer and revel in your brilliance

Worked for me.:D

A bulky CB will increase the chances of it being in the way. You might consider doing an all-in-one mic, where the CB and the mic are just one unit, so all you need is a place to mount a mic. That's what I ended up doing, and I don't regret it at all:dunce:

I plan to mount my CB between the visors as pictured in the second post. It seems to be the most simple thing to do... I had it mounted that way in my previous rig. I never had a problem with it there. The metal did not bend. I used aluminum strip.

I would say, If you are mounting a heavy CB and worried about any bending, bolt the CB mount to the bar spanning the visor mounts as close to the visor mounts as you can. Also, If you can, Use a heavier steal, maybe an L channel if you can.

The question I have is about that "orb" thing. I have a chunk of plastic, but no orb. I took the plastic cover off to see what was there, and it was a computer chip... anyone know what this could be?

I run mine here

P3180070.jpg

with the console swap its perfect, fills the "hole" where the 97+ console doesn't meet up with the 96 down dash.

Quick 5 step process to fix that problem:

Step 1 - open beer...drink
Step 2 - find needle nose pliers in garage
Step 3 - drink more beer
Step 4 - use needle nose pliers to bend center tab on hook toward two outer tabs
Step 5 - open another beer and revel in your brilliance

Worked for me.:D

Haha I'll try it with some pliers - I bend it w/ my hand but it ends up getting bend back out by the mic.

Another idea is to put some spacers up top to make the cb hang lower so the mic hangar can be mounted vertically like the previous post.

Back